Game keeps crashing/how to change graphic settings or user.cfg

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by thecrap0n, Dec 22, 2012.

1. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

This game crashes way too much. I'll play for a while, then I'll hear a zzzzt... noise then I'll get a black to white flashing screen. The reset button does not work, and I have to hold the power button 5 seconds to shut the computer down to reboot. I have not noticed a pattern other than it only occurs during gameplay. Although, because it's random I can't say for certain that it won't ever crash at other times.

I've read that having dual monitors can cause instability in this game. I've tried setting the option multiple/single and compatibility modes, but I don't think it's made a difference. I think compatibility is the most stable. I'm not going to disconnect the monitor just for this game.

I'm also thinking that it may be a specific special effect. But there is no way of altering individual effects. I have googled, but it seems there is no way to change the graphics settings in the game. Or is there? What about user.cfg? Is there a guide somewhere that briefly explains each option?

Thanks.

Specs:
    Win7 64bit
    amd x4 phenom II 3.4ghz w/12gb ram
    msi gtx 260 w/ 896mb ram
    gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    auzentech xmeridian sound card

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've never heard of that happening to anyone before when playing Metro 2033 and it never happened to me either. It's gotta be your system and probably the dual monitor thing. Have you tried playing with only one monitor? If it works fine, then at least you'll know that the dual monitors are definitely the problem. Even if it still won't work, then you'll have another possibility ruled out. Either way, you won't get anywhere if you don't disconnect the monitor just for this game. :p

3. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

LOL.
    Sorry just had to get that out there. Your system can mb arley run mrtro on low with one moniter. Much less two.

4. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

My system exceeds the recommended specs, and it plays fine on dx10 very high, so it's not that. I could get it running very smoothly and look exactly like very high if I could manipulate the individual effects.

I'll try turning off my other monitor, but I don't know for certain that's the problem. It's random, so sometimes it doesn't happen at all. Sometimes I can't go 2 minutes without it crashing. That's why I'm asking, maybe someone knows for certain that those are the symptoms of running Metro with two monitors.

5. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

Well, turned off the second monitor and it crashed.

I don't get it, I played this game start to finish and only had a handful of crashes. Now, the only difference is that I set it to ranger mode. But that couldn't possibly be the reason.

Temps didn't seem abnormally high. Graphics card was 55f upon reboot. It's around 70f while playing.

#5 thecrap0n, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Very puzzling indeed. Let me ask around for you, I know a few guys who could look into your problem. And possibly try posting to 4chan's /g/ (tech) board. They're great with troubleshooting, at least in my experiences.

7. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

You know what, I had set user.cfg to "read only". I had set it that way on and off to try and force some settings, like disabling AA and AF since they are performance hogs and I don't really care for the effect anyway. But, I don't know for 100% certain that is the problem, but I didn't have any crashes through the bandit level. I hate these problems, because just when you think you have it solved it crashes on you again.

I usually have a ton of stuff open at the same time, and maybe it's running out of memory. Although, at 12gbs, I'd doubt that, but I might opera and firefox running and that sometimes gets upwards of 3 or 4 gigabytes, but ms office and few other memory hog programs like photoshop. So, it's entirely possible it's running out of memory. Or the system memory is overheating? I never heard of that happening though.

8. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

See thats what I was trying to tell you. Your graphics card just doesnt have enough video ram for the game. Espically for 2 moniters

9. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

So, you're saying the recommended specs are incorrect?

support thq com/entries/22573471-pc-minimum-requirements

Anyway, it crashed twice on the frontlines board and I didn't really have much open except Outlook, Winamp and Opera and few other odd apps. Not nearly enough to fill 12gbs.

10. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

They are not for high settings on 1080 p. Try mod setting on 720. I perspnally checked and on high 1080p it was using 1gb vram.

11. thecrap0n

thecrap0n Member

I checked GPUZ and it says it uses 730MB of RAM.

12. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

Huh. I guess it my amd card might be a ram hog. But im shure your gpu has no where near enough ram for 2 moniters,though