Free to play?

Discussion in 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' started by Lord Kal, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Lord Kal

Lord Kal Member

By any chance is this game free to play? I ask because at the moment I'm looking for free to play games. I have not much money these days and I want to save as much as possible for the time being, and being a fan of D&D I want to play the online game. If it's not free, what's the monthly fee, maybe I'll consider it in the future.

2. Joker

Joker Member

It's currently free from what I can tell. The site to sign up says "No Monthly Fees Required" So I can only guess that they're offering it up for free to play, which is pretty cool of them. I've never played the online game, but I'm thinking about trying it out soon.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

When I played it was free and their was a lot of people still playing it, but I don't know how it is now that was over two years ago, but if it is still free I highly recommend playing the game it's one of the very few mmo's that I actually really got into.

4. Green

Green Member

Its free i'm pretty sure i played it a week ago and it was free just download off steam its free on there are paid but the free one is the main game others are expansions.

5. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's free but there are trade restriction, level cap and you are blocked off from certain content. If you wanted to play the game seriously you would have to get a premium subscription.

[​IMG]

alfonso likes this.
  6. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Is it even worth the subscription at this point?.. Exactly how much stuff are you restricted from?

7. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

I hate it when gaming companies do this bait and switch garbage. They make you think its free, you play it, get into it, and you find out your done or your game is limited unless you get a premium account. I mean, can't they just be straight up about the game if its P2P or F2P?

8. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, LOTRO took the same approach and the game has never been the same again. I guess most companies are just trying to scam every little penny out of us gamers as they can.

9. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

LOTRO did this but not to the point that other games do. I hate that LOTRO took on a FEW pay-to-win features like instant level 50 and gear, but I'd rather they do that to stay afloat than just collapse like SW Galaxies did.

10. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

They should just stick to in-game advertising. They say its IGA is gonna become a billion dollar industry in 2014, that being said, I don't know why they have to take money right out of our pockets now a days.
    [​IMG]

jaygee likes this.
  11. Mabushaw

Mabushaw Active Member

It's free to play as long as you register, just be aware that it is a big 8GB download file and if you're on a certain amount of data, it will eat up a lot of allowance.

12. Dadacham

Dadacham Member

I opened all the "content packs" in LOTR within 2 months of it going F2P. There is no reason to spend a cent in it.

Turbine actually does one of the best f2p models in a real MMO. You can unlock everything easily by just playing the game. It might take a little grinding each day but it is possible.

13. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

Yes DDO is free to play.

DaDacham - you opened all the content in 2 months? Either it was a long time ago and there was less content or you do not sleep. I have been able to unlock almost all the content but nowhere near that quickly. I salute you!

14. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

I would like to know if this is at all worth the download. Anyone with any experience? And how is it making money? ads?

15. jaygee

jaygee Active Member

DDO has f2p elements, but if you're going to compete and have fun, you'll have to spend money or do tons of grinding for favor points. I had a VIP account which meant I was supposed to be able to play in any content area, but then they introduced new areas and if I, a subscriber, wanted to play I would have to pay extra. I cancelled my account and left. Overall, it wasn't worth the money. You can start out on the free stuff and see if you like it well enough to give them your cash.

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

This really isnĀ“t true. DDO is very free and you can play years with the content they give you for free. What you are describing is something like Starr Wars where you feel very limited ingame until you buy stuff.

DDO is my favorite MMO outside of WOW, and I have played it a ton without ever buying anything. You can earn new adventures by completing the free ones.