Forum date display format

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Concerns' started by Bamul, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've been thinking... among the forum's active users (and possibly even from all registered users) the majority of us seem to be Europeans or Australians, but the date format the forum currently uses is MDY, which is correct only in the USA. Practically every other country in the world uses DMY and a few others reverse it to YMD, but the MDY combination is very uncommon when looking at the global scale and YDM is not used by anyone anywhere as far as I know.

So, would it be possible to change the forum's date display format to the absolutely most common worldwide standard of DMY? It's not within my power to do so as I am only a moderator and I don't have access to admin tools, I don't even know if it's possible to be honest but I would assume it should be (might be just something restricted to the main admin, which is the position currently held by Harley). Plus I think such a change should be decided by the active users communally. Who else would like to see this happen? Please show your support to the idea by posting here - if you're opposed to it then you should also let us know.

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

I have thought about this, and been slightly bothered by it, for five years :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I never really got annoyed enough to bother changing it, but now that you've said it, I went and searched around in vBulletin. It wasn't easy to find, but I found it eventually, hidden in a digital corner.

-I've set the datestamp to Date-Month-Year.

-I've also set the view of when a thread/post was posted to "1minute-1hour-1day-1week-1month-1year ago". So right now I'm seeing at the top of this thread "14 hours ago" instead of seeing "yesterday at 4:55PM" or whatever it was. Scream out loud if any of you want to revert to the previous way, and I'll set it back.

-I've also set timestamps to minute-hour. For some strange reason it was originally on hour-minute.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Thanks. I'm not sure if the "# hours ago" version is better than "Yesterday at #", since it is less accurate. I think I preferred when it gave you the exact time for recent posts and then once it got a bit older the exact date for all of them, but that's just me. Also, I'd personally prefer if the date was displayed as "DD.MM.YYYY", so each thing is separated by dots and it shows you the full year at the end rather than just the last two digits. However, I don't know if you have that option there.

But don't change it just because I want that to happen - I was kinda hoping that other people would be interested in this and post here as well. :p I think it would be best to wait and see what others think about this, so it is easier to determine what is the preferred option on the forum in general rather than just mixing the preferences of us two and using that heh.

#3 Bamul, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2016
  4. [​IMG]

Additionally we need to display the time zone so we know WHEN EXACTLY the 2:45AM actually is.

5. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

If enough people want to change it then I say go ahead and do it. I'm used to MM.DD.YYYY but it wouldn't bother me any if it was changed.

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I think that's something you can change in your user CP, so that each person can see their own or other preferred timezone when logged in. Unless you're referring to the one that is displayed when you're browsing as a guest without logging in.

7. I never knew, that's cool. Changed it to my time zone instead of EST.

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, that was about time :lol:

9. Clear Sky Stalker

Clear Sky Stalker Spartan Ranger
    Regular

Um I'm not sure if anyone has noticed or had this happen on their displays but my "Last Visited" display is showing some odd times. Currently it says "last visited 21 hours ago at 44:02AM".

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

Yeah, I'm seeing it too, I've probably done something wrong. I tried to set it back, but now I can't remember how I found the edit-page for it earlier :lol: I'll look again when I have more time later :)

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Alright, I managed to find it again, and this time I'll remember where I can find it because that's where I also can access some other things that I otherwise wouldn't have found my way to :)

I've changed the time-thingy, for some reason I had set it to Minute-Hour instead of Hour-Minute. -You would for example see 52:16 when the time was 16:52.

It's also now on a 24-hour clock instead of a 12-hours clock with AM/PM. Let me know if any of you dislike this.

Also, I've set the date/time back to (example): "Today at 12:45" instead of "Five hours ago".

I've also set datestamps to "27th July 2016" instead of "27-07-16", I think it's a good idea to avoid people from getting confused, since we've been using m-d-y for so long and have now changed to d-m-y.

Happy time-reading everyone! :)

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Thanks again Skaara, I too think that solution is best - it gives us Europeans the logical order without confusing the Americans. :p