Quantcast

Finally a reason to purchase a next gen console?

Discussion in 'Fallout' started by troutski, Jun 3, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Of course, Fallout 4 is coming to the PC, too, but let's ignore that for the moment. And let's ignore anyone that thinks the games will hit the last gen consoles. Is Fallout 4 finally a good reason to purchase a current gen console? I don't think we've seen a game this enticing so far.

2. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

Fallout 4 definitely gives a reason to buy a current gen console, but if that's the only game you are going to buy it for, I still wouldn't pay that much for a console just for 1 game.

3. Calamity

Calamity Member

I wouldn't recommend buying a next gen console. Fallout 4 is a greater reason to build a good gaming PC. You are handicapping your experience by playing on console. You don't get to experience high graphical fidelity or the limitless content that modding adds. Playing any Bethesda game is far better on PC due to modding. Fallout 4 is hardly a reason to buy a dated console with poor hardware it is a greater reason to invest in PC gaming. I promise that the experience on PC is unparalleled it is far more enjoyable to play on PC than console because the functionality that is added through modding. Fallout 3 and New Vegas still have modding scenes after all this time and I can only imagine that Fallout 4's will extend far beyond it's playability on the new consoles, but that's just my two cents.

GlacialDoom likes this.
  4. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

The Fallout series were built for the PC in mind. Since there is a market for console gamers, the publisher decided to port the game to console systems. The problem with console systems is that you cannot upgrade them the same way you can with PC's. That is why there are so many console gamers who are up in arms about why Bethesda isn't making the game for PS3 and XBox, but those same gamers don't understand that those game consoles are old. If the developers build for the old consoles, the technology will always lag behind.

With that said, if you build a decent computer, you can play the game. You don't need a $2,000 PC. A standard $600-$700 one would do just fine. With a PC, you can Mod the game, get bug fixing patches for it a lot more conveniently, get support faster and better and when time comes along, you can upgrade bits of your hardware to make the game run better, amongst other non-game related things.

Consoles are nice to have, but PC's are infinitely better because they can do much more.

5. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member Regular

I don't agree with the sentiment that Fallout 4 is a reason to buy a new gen console. If it was console exclusive (which will probably never happen with any Bethesda game) then I'd think about it.

Currently though there's no reason to buy a new console if you have a PC that will meet the game's specs.

While I don't use many mods, I agree with what others have mentioned about them. That Bethesda's games are worth playing on the PC for the huge and active mod community. You can change your playing experience completely if you feel like it, something you currently can't do on consoles.

6. tubestud

tubestud Well-Known Member Regular

Fallout 4 is only one of the reasons. I'd buy a console for the other RPGs as well. Bloodborne is a great one. Especially if you like the challenge it offers.

7. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

Don't get a next-gen console! They're only dumbed-down PCs. If it weren't for the exclusives (which are now less and less in number as time passes, mind you), nobody would buy consoles. And you shouldn't. Fallout is better on PC. Why, you ask? Because on PC, it has modding support and better graphics and framerate. The choice is simple.

8. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

I'm getting a PS4 in the summer if the price falls a bit, because I prefer the feel of a controller and TV like I used to play. Modding support is coming to Fallout 4 on Xbox One and Todd Howard said the same will be done for the PS4 in time, which is brilliant news. If mods start becoming compatible on consoles I'd make the switch over, they're all that really tie me to PC anymore.

9. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

If it is 'just' for Fallout 4, better not. XBOX One and PS4 got scores of other, exclusive interesting games, after all, and make sure you actually want to play those games, not just Fallout 4 before getting new consoles.

If you just want to play Fallout 4, no need for new-Gen console. Somewhat old PC can play it, after all. Sure, the graphic will suck, there'll be framedrop, and scores other problems, but you'll get faster patches and mods. IMO, low frame doesn't bother me as much as can't mod.

10. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

It's not a reason for me to get a current-gen console at all, but it's a nice bonus for when I upgrade my PC. I need to upgrade to play modern games anyway, and Fallout 4 plays better on PC anyway.

11. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I'm totally going to get a new gen console because of this! My PC is shit and I've been considering getting a PS4 anyways, so this was just the last final push to make me get one. I'm gonna wait until Black Friday, when there is hopefully some sort of sale for it on Cyber Monday.

12. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I already bought PS4 a long time ago so nope. And I really want to play Fallout 4 on PC because I know there will be an amazing mods after this game come out. I'm so excited.

13. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member Regular

If anything, Fallout 4 is a really good reason to upgrade your computer or get into pc gaming. I can't wait to see what people will come up with when they begin to mod it. Those who have been complaining about the graphics, give it a year or so, this game will be the most beautiful pc game ever thanks to mods.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Fallout 4 is going to be better on PC eitherway, so I don't see the reason people should buy a console just for this game! Even if the performance would be better, it still wouldn't be worth it to purchase a console for just one game.

15. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member Regular

If I was a console gamer, I'd have PS 4 a long time ago. With the upcoming games like KH 3 and FF XV and VII remake, and of course, Fallout 4, there would be no question.
    However, since I am a PC gamer and I am patient, I will get FO 4 on PC and wait at least a year to see if KH 3 comes on PC, even though its unlikely. If it doesn't THEN I may consider purchasing a PS 4.

16. ellie

ellie Member

I heard a rumour mods may be available on Xbox one? So there's that.

17. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

My answer is no. If you have a PC that will support the graphics that will make Fallout 4 run buy it for the PC. You'll surely benefit from there. I consider that consoles are just for kids who can't hold a mouse and a keyboard and they need the joystick to play otherwise.

18. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Member Regular

I have only been able to play Fallout 3 so far, and it was on Xbox. I had heard it was for PC but had never really thought too much about it. I didn't realize you could mod it.
    I haven't bought an xbox one yet, but was waiting for the right time. I am not only going to buy it for Fallout 4 but it does make it much more enticing.

19. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

PC is the way to go for Fallout and Skyrim and such games. Having the full keyboard, better graphics and framerate,
    community mods and updates...

20. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think so. There are plenty of other games out there that can be a good reason for a next gen jump like The Division or Rise of the Tomb Raider (if not for anything else, at least for graphical abilities), but I think that if you have a half-decent PC you can still run Fallout 4.