Film rights for Metro 2033 have been acquired

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by rolfwar, Sep 14, 2012.

1. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

MGM and Narnia Producer to Adapt Sci-Fi Novel Metro 2033
    Source: Heat Vision September 14, 2012

Heat Vision is reporting that MGM has acquired the film rights to Dmitri Glukhovsky's Russian sci-fi novel Metro 2033. F. Scott Frazier will write the script for the film, to be produced by Mark Johnson ("The Chronicles of Narnia" films). The book is described as follows:

The year is 2033. The world has been reduced to rubble. Humanity is nearly extinct. The half-destroyed cities have become uninhabitable through radiation. Beyond their boundaries, they say, lie endless burned-out deserts and the remains of splintered forests. Survivors still remember the past greatness of humankind. But the last remains of civilisation have already become a distant memory, the stuff of myth and legend.

More than 20 years have passed since the last plane took off from the earth. Rusted railways lead into emptiness. The ether is void and the airwaves echo to a soulless howling where previously the frequencies were full of news from Tokyo, New York, Buenos Aires. Man has handed over stewardship of the earth to new life-forms. Mutated by radiation, they are better adapted to the new world. Man's time is over.

A few score thousand survivors live on, not knowing whether they are the only ones left on earth. They live in the Moscow Metro - the biggest air-raid shelter ever built. It is humanity's last refuge. Stations have become mini-statelets, their people uniting around ideas, religions, water-filters - or the simple need to repulse an enemy incursion. It is a world without a tomorrow, with no room for dreams, plans, hopes. Feelings have given way to instinct - the most important of which is survival. Survival at any price.

VDNKh is the northernmost inhabited station on its line. It was one of the Metro's best stations and still remains secure. But now a new and terrible threat has appeared. Artyom, a young man living in VDNKh, is given the task of penetrating to the heart of the Metro, to the legendary Polis, to alert everyone to the awful danger and to get help. He holds the future of his native station in his hands, the whole Metro - and maybe the whole of humanity.

The site says the book first appeared in Russian online in 2002 before being published in Russia as a novel in 2005. The book was then translated into 35 languages, including English in 2010, the same year it was adapted into a video game by 4A Games.

from comingsoon.net

2. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

3. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I just saw it on Last Light's facebook and was like "The forum must know of this!", and then here it is :D
    Really, really interesting stuff right there :)

4. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

John Hillcoat should direct this. Yes, that guy from The Road (2009).

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Sorry, I was too lazy to read this. Could anyone brief me on it? Are they really going to make a metro movie?? :O

6. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Most of the text is just the same as what's on the cover of the book. But, yes, MGM will make a Metro 2033 movie :D

7. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I think it may turn out quite well.

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

So it's the makers of Narnia who are making the Metro movie? Narnia was pretty good, so why not? We've discussed this earlier, where we'd rather have a poor but real russian making of the movie rather than some hollywood-"shit". I honestly have no idea, what do you guys think about this?

9. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

I'd prefer if the actors were russian, the dialogue was russian, the setting was russian, the signs were russian, and everything was russian (excluding the team filiming it, they can be any nationality they want). So long as it has the russian and post apoc feel and is Metro, I'm fine with it. If it's really good, then I'll be in a 1-4 hour heaven.

10. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Narnia is good 9hell, I love them!) but it's extremely lighthearted and fun, and mentioning it in relation with Metro 2033 is a bad sign imo. As I've said before (and as others have also said), this should be a wholly Russian venture (or Ukrainian, whatever), and I can't say I know what to expect from MGM. The high budget might be a good thing, but I won't know for sure till a trailer is released...

11. BORIS13

BORIS13 Well-Known Member

Well narnia huh? id much rather have a better studio. And yes russian acors only for me with russian language. elt here be subtitles. Like Apocalypto. It was in Inca and they used subtitles. Such a good movie. i dont want it to be a american actor like bruce willis playing as khan (LOL).

12. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh no... no no no.... And the music? Will they do it properly? Or will it be the typical Hollywood action stuff? No... Oh man, I'm liking this less and less...

13. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

Oh god, bruce wilis? that reminds me of the day of the jackal. TERRIBU! TERRIBU TERRIBU MISTAKU!

14. rolfwar

Regular

Yes, i swear if the put Tom Cruise or Matt Damon as Artyom i'm getting in the first cinema i find and set it on fire...

15. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I'd prefer Artyom to be a "no-name" actor, so i don't associate him with anyone else. So he can take up the "Artyom"-spot in my brain, if you understand. I would also like it be russian, but I consider it highly unlikely :(

16. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I wonder who will play Khan - Morogan Freeman? :p

17. cerberus

Based on how I've seen him in Defiance (2008), I think Daniel Craig could portray a decent Artyom.

18. rolfwar

Regular

i'm sorry. but i disagree.

Daniel Craig still has the "tough-guy" look... i wish to remind you all that Artyom barely is 20 years old.
    We need somebody more "innocent" and scaried by everything in the Tunnels, somebody that really has to look confused on whether to kill the Dark Ones and erase them from Earth or try to understand them...

i was thinking of Jake Gyllenhaal,although he doesn't look russian at all...

Jude Law looked enough russian and young in Enemy at Gates to be Artyom,although that was 10 years ago...

Anyhow,i strongly stress how Liam Neeson should be in this movie...He looks f**king russian,people!
    Although too old to be artyom,he could play Bourbon or Coronel Melnik,or even Sukhoi, Artyom's Stepfather!!
    Neeson he is such a great actor,that he could play any role!

#18 rolfwar, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  19. cerberus

You'd be surprised what make-up can do.

Or - and this is something that will probably never happen because when movies like this get made only one thing matters - they could go for a full cast of unknown Russian actors.

#19 cerberus, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  20. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Full cast of Russian actors and Russian language and set in Russia is how it should be, just look at how Apocalypto turned out, that was in English subs.

Don't worry about the film being bad because the producer made Narnia, he also made breaking bad which is a great TV show about a science teacher who makes crystal meth and isn't as bright and happy as Narnia.