Favourite thing about Metro 2033....?

Discussion in 'Metro 2033 Forums' started by The Dark Ones, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep, I think these were the most striking points. This, and the stark reality and beauty of the game.

2. GloomyOrchid

GloomyOrchid Member

Another thing, I like Artyom himself. He's such a great character and has a nice voice too (props to the actor).

3. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

Actually it depends on a lot of different factors whether or not you live or if the wound is fatal, how long you live.

4. Mr_Timma

Mr_Timma Well-Known Member

i love the environment, style,story,characters, That its post apo lol everything basically

5. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Making the gamer think rather than providing derpy tutorials. 4A treats us like we're smart, and I like it.

6. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Very true! It gives you a quick message, and the rest is experience. Tutorials would have destroyed the game...

7. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

I agree with Teddy and Streff, the fact that you didn't really know what you were doing before the game released you into the dangerous world of Metro made it much more intense.

#27 VanillaToshi, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  8. princemubz007

princemubz007 Well-Known Member

I didnt know you can do that :)

9. DarkOne

DarkOne Well-Known Member

It's my favorite game on the 360 so there's a lot to love I'll mention the terrific atmosphere and the characters especially Bourbon.

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

Necro'ing this old thread for the win.

What I like about Metro, which I only just found out, is how you see extraordinary things that weren't seen before the explosion.
    Ghosts, anomalies, visions, improved mutations. Some of these makes most of the people in the metro, and the people who play Metro2033, come to the conclusion that there must be a higher and more intellectual being, preferrably God, existing in the metro universe. But still, despite how these things seems to definitely not be explained by anything else than a higher being like God, there still are some very intelligent and insightful theories.
    First off, there is the radiation messing with your mind. The radiation has evolved regular animals into top-predators, and turned the outstanding humans into outstanding mutants who can use an invisible force to mess with people's minds, something called telepathic abilities.
    ^That is possibly explainable by science.

But what's most "God-proving", is the ghosts of the metro. Actual shades of human beings who are there, yet aren't there. The actual existance of souls and/or spirits, which proves that there is so much more to the human being than just the technical brain; a special consciousness that can survive without the living body.

But still, there are theories that this is not something God-proving or God-made. Let me quote an Atheist-theory:

Visually, ghosts bear a strong resemblance to the "blast shadows" created when a nuclear bomb explodes and burns an outline of a body caught in that blast into a wall or other surface. With nowhere to go, the souls of the dead haunt the lost tunnels of the metro for eternity, forever forced to live out their last moments over and over again until the end of time. These spectres do not seem to understand that they are dead and some of them continue to faithfully perform their duty that they had in life, for example, the ghostly defenders in the barricade.

What I'm trying to say, is that I really like how THQ doesn't make Metro2033 a religious game. They refrain from proving that there is a God, and keep the focus on the Metro. But at the same time, they do input some details that says that there might actually be something more than just life itself to the world. That's an interesting detail that I love about Metro2033 :)

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree with you about that. I'm a spiritual atheist and I don't believe in any deities, but I do like how 4A Games haven't made Metro 2033 insulting to Christians or atheists - always standing on the line between religion and science. Actually, I think the game suggests the existence of a god more than the book does. In the book, Artyom experiences various strange hallucinations. Some of these are caused by the Dark Ones, but the ones that aren't are actually explained by the fact that there are pipes that leak gas in some of the tunnels (which has an effect on what people see).

Actually, I guess the same could be said for the ghosts in the game. For example, when Khan tells you to listen to the pipes but not for too long - for all we know, maybe that was when Artyom got high on the gas and saw/heard/felt all sorts of weird stuff. Khan could have been under the effect of the gas too. Who knows. You're right about that: one of the great things about the game is that it doesn't give explanations or clear reasons for why something happens, so the player can come up with his or her own theories. :)

12. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

The blast shadows wouldn't work since they are in the metro and all of the people who died in it were killed by mutants. They are ghosts.

13. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

Everything but if I had to narrow it down to one or two things I would say the atmosphere and when you are in the Friendly Stations you get to see what life is like in the Metro Tunnels and Stations.

14. Eragon20

Eragon20 Member

I like how the stations ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE the ones in Moscow. Lenins library is actually built the same as in game!

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree, but here's one funny fact: the wagons of the metro trains that are seen in the game are actually from the Ukrainian metro system. They are most probably just the textures that 4A used as placeholders and forgot to replace them before release. :lol:

16. patrick2293

patrick2293 New Member

I can't really single out what I love about Metro 2033 but if you held a gun to my stomach... It would have to be how easy it is to immerse yourself in the whole experience, I don't know about you guys, but I loved playing this game in a pitchblack room with headphones on, it really helped me feel like I was there and the thrill of the moments really got to me. Also it can't go without mention is the way that you can approach different situations with different tactics, highligted in missions like 'black station' and 'frontline' you can choose stealth, force or heck, just run for the exit like a mad man. Choosing one thing to love most about metro 2033 is difficult, another aspect that I think really helps seperate this game from others is the diversity of the enemies and their engagement tactics, the librarians, who can be faught but at the cost of much precious ammo, or stared down and dealt with carefully, the nosalises that will swarm you with great numbers, the Demons that pepper the sky of Moscow, and the spectacular use of the paranormal in the form of ghosts and anomolies, oh how I love the Metro.