Favourite books

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Strelok, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Strelok

Strelok Well-Known Member

I think we all agree that the metro series and roadside picnic are realy good books but besides them what is your favourite book/ books.
    One of mine is Pillars of the Earth, its a medieval fiction about a cathedral construcktion, then there is The Da Vinci Code and Deception Point by Dan Brown.

2. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

Difficult question. I've read alot of books, but no one touched me like Phillip Pullman's "the Golden Compass" and all those books. Really touched me somehow :/

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The Art of War - Sun Tsu and Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb are my fav's, aside from some of the old old Indiana Jones books.

4. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

"Canticle for Liebowitz" by Walter M. Miller is a really good post-apocalyptic book.

Non-fiction? "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang is an epic read, really really good.

5. Strelok

I just post this here, who else have heard about a Stalker book named the southern comfort?
    Looks realy intresting as it sets in a new second zone in Afghanistan and is made by fans.
    I've just placed a order for it so i will probably get it within two weeks.

6. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

I don't really have favourite books, because I just don't read a lot any more and haven't read a lot of different stuff. I really liked The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly, and the rest of the series and his other books. When I was a kid I loved the Tomorrow When The War Began series by John Marsden. I'm looking forward to getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Southern Comfort one day, after I've finished reading Metro 2033. And I don't read much non-fiction, unless it's something about the S.A.S.

7. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

I've read a novel made from the Elder Scrolls series. Or rather begun reading. It's really good, but neither do I have a favorite book. :/

8. Strelok

Realy :eek:
    What is its name!

#8 Strelok, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  9. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Really? Me too! I think it's an awesome book and one of my favourites. I think that Thomas Rathsack's Shadow Army and Jæger - I krig med eliten were really good as well, but they're all on the same subject - the mind of a special forces soldier.

Oh and I almost forgot Chris Ryan - The Kill Zone :)

10. thuner

thuner Well-Known Member

There are two of them (it's a series :3): Infernal City and Lost Souls. Dont remember wich one is first, but I THINK it's Infernal City xD

11. Strelok

Thank you, and don't worry about witch one is first since I prob gonna buy both at the same time.
    Also I looked up both books and lost souls is the latter one plus it's name was realy Lord of the souls ;)

12. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

i have lots of favourite books,but i don't know their titles in english so lol :/

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

I haven't read a lot of books. In fact, I can't even remember to have read more than.... well, definitely less than 10 books. My favorite is one that I'm reading atm called My Name Is Memory. It's about that the soul is reborn in a new body, and every memory from the past lives is erased from the mind, but this one guy can remember it all, from every life he has lived, then there's this one girl that he meets many times through his many lives and her many lives. He remembers her and somehow recognizes her everytime, but she always forgets like everyone else. It's pretty much a drama-book :p It has a lot of interesting theories though, and It's really well written with lots of long english words that doesn't even make sense in my head.

14. Mr_Timma

Mr_Timma Well-Known Member

Metro series, Various Jurassic park novels, all 3 hunger games books..(yes i have read them), Da vinci code, Angels and demons, golden compass and the assassins creed books are among my favourites

15. Mr_Streaker69

Mr_Streaker69 Active Member

Does anyone read Tom Clancy by any chance? I've read a lot of his books and seen most of his movies. They're pretty good.

However, my favourite books at the moment are by Chris Ryan. He always writes about SAS caharacters and makes up some pretty cool stories!:)

16. Red Aegis

Red Aegis Well-Known Member

I've been reading a lot of George Orwell's books lately, they're all good but Animal Farm was written at a lower level than his others.

17. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I've read a book by Tom and a book by Chris. I don't remember the name of the one by Tom Clancy, but it was about two brothers of italian origin who became assassins. The one by Chris Ryan was "The Kill zone", which was actually very good. A little confusing with all the characters, though. Then there is the danish author and former Jägersoldat (special forces) Thomas Rathsack. You've probably heard of him through his scandal book "Jäger - to war with the elite", which contained secret information. Anyways his books are only in danish so far, but due to his role as a former special operator his descriptions of the soldiers and their tactics are very interesting.
    Then there is "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy MacNab, also very interesting book :)

18. Von Streff

Regular

Anyone else here read Stephen King? I find he has some brilliant books, but quite a few are terribly boring, too. But I definitely recommend the Dark Tower series, his best work.

19. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

I like history books, biographies, true crime and that sort. last one I read is 'Ablaze' about the 1986 Chernobyl Accident. well, I've read it before, but I just read it again, as I do sometimes.

20. Von Streff

Regular

Yeah, history and factual books are definitely good. Atm, I'm reading one about the investigation and capture of Chikatilo, the Russian serial-killer. Quite horrific at times, but the amount of work the Russian police put into catching him was amazing.

Another good series (for fantasy) is the Earthsea one, by Ursula le Guin.