Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Komodo Saurian, Jun 3, 2015.

1. This is brilliant:

[​IMG]

Invite the modders on the team to work on the game. Instead of designing a bicycle from scratch get these motivated and passionate motherfuckers a job in the industry. In some cases they've spent years working on a thing they loved and supported and Beths just took their ideas without giving any credit.

He said it was impossible to make spears in gamebryo. Then somebody went and spent a couple hours importing Dark Souls animations into the game:

[YOUTUBE]6zMhOMfs_o0[/YOUTUBE]

It was a nice story, but the writing was horrible and it was full of plot holes. The most blatant one in the ending, where they had to redo the entire thing because everyone hated it.

And yet every single hobo speaks with the same voice. Argonians and Khajiit also have like 2 "old black dude" voices in total. Male argonians don't even have their own sound files for dragon shouts, they instead use imperial or nord.

The way these were presented and the way they actually were in the end product was way too fucking different. Bethesda being a cunt and getting away with it on a technicality is what people were upset about.

Morrowind did it best.

[​IMG]

They say you can be anyone, then proceed to give you a set character with a set voice and background.

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Dammit Komo you know they mean morals and preferences and appearance and shit. :p

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree this would be the ideal solution, but it's not possible because... capitalism. There are countless talented people out there (and if they were to start getting job offers from Bethesda then I guarantee you that even more of such folks would appear). If Bethesda started employing someone every time they saw a very impressive mod, they would eventually die as a company with too few profits and too many people to pay. Sure, they could just cut the money made by the company owners or spend less on marketing, but we both know that shit doesn't happen in this world (in almost all companies across any industry) unless you have angry crowds literally at the door and ready to lynch the greedy fuckers. So what's the best solution for Bethesda? Paid mods. That way they don't have to pay any modders. The modder gets a tiny percentage from months or even years of hard work (plus the occasional donations from a fan), whilst Bethesda grab the rest of the pie for not doing anything. They tried this with Steam and they will try it again. Maybe with Bethesda.net, maybe at some point later in time - they will definitely try it again. Will they be successful? Hopefully not, as they weren't last time, oh but they'll certainly try it.

Oh shit man, please don't remind me! My Argonian character is still downing bottles of rectified spirit to deal with his depression.

I wish Gothic 3 at least notified you when you messed with the integrity of its story. Despite of all its shortcomings, I loved that game and the only reason I haven't ever completed it is because it simply isn't possible on my only saved game that I spent tens of hours on.

4. Potarto

On the subject of skills being removed...

Also no pics, but I did see some details of us being able to customize outfits much more. Getting to pic stuff like should pads/pauldrons, etc., I remember at least five slots or so, so armor customization is definitely getting back up to snuff.

Dogmeat confirmed to be unable to die. Likely gonna be a Day 1 mod to fix that.

Also, just had to post this. :p
    [​IMG]

#44 Potarto, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That pic. :lol:

Oh yes, I remember that too! This is actually really good news. Though when I was watching the FO4 presentation I was under the impression that this customisation was only for power armour, but I may be mistaken. However, if it is only for power armour and nothing else then I am still happy about it because it's one step closer to returning to proper armour customisation from Morrowind.

I do have to say that, based on what we've seen so far, it looks as though Bethesda are placing much more emphasis on "new" features for FO4 instead of revamping their silly character animations (as opposed to what happened with Skyrim, which I personally think got more of a graphics upgrade than a proper step forward in gameplay).

By the way, your second link doesn't work Potarto. ;)

6. Big guns and small guns were made into one skill, this can't be right. Skill tab is also missing from the pipboy, there is however skyrim's perk fucking chart, which is exactly what it sounds like. You level up by using things and then everything is shaped by perks which is what a lot of people dislike, especially with perks being so abundant.

The video shows layered armor. You get a base costume and you put extra armor on different body parts.

Same with children, but at least there are fates worse than death.

Implying the new ideas are not being forced upon me whether I like it or not. If you make me to do something the odds of me liking it are automatically zero.

And I have to post this in response:

[​IMG]

7. Potarto

I mean, there's still a lot they haven't told us. Them having integrated/added/changed around skills seems much more likely than there being a bunch of pointless bobbleheads.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree it's a bit early to say what has really changed skills-wise, but I'm not surprised we're all jumping to conclusions... if only I could jump so high in new Bethesda games as I used to be able to in Oblivion. :p

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I'd like to quote everyone, but there's so much stuff.

Well, I've said this many times: Fallout series died with Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas got better but then died a quarter trough the game (in my opinion). Fallout will never be successful in a first-person view.

About Bethesda Hiring Modders: I know that id, 3d realms, and valve have done this. Some guy who made a doom 2 mod was hired and now holds executive power for id. 3d realms is currently hiring several build engine modders to help make a new game. Valve has hired quite a few people to make some of their games (portal and tf2 are an example). I'm sure there are many other examples out there. Screw you, Bethesda. You're taking over the gaming industry.

Fallout 4: Too much apparel customization reminds of of those SIMS games (the ones where you control a variety of virtual people).

Graphics: Graphics are good, but Bethesda doesn't have an excuse for falling short.

Duke nukem in 1996 using build engine:
    [​IMG]
    Duke nukem sometime in the 2000s (I think 2010) and still using build engine:
    [​IMG]

From what I've read, the build engine isn't capable of using 3d models. So, in the second picture, what appears to be a 3d model is still a 2d sprite.

I'm sure there is other stuff I'd like to say, but I can't remember at the moment.

Edit: Oh, yeah. I gonna end up purchasing it anyway. I'm still drawn to it for some reason.

#49 NuclearWastE3, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  10. Potarto

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Ehh, it's just a turning animation. Obviously, it's a step forward for them, but the walking and running doesn't look very impressive. The video presentation I saw still showed humans that move stiffly and unrealistically. I think the animals benefit from more significant animation improvements.

12. Warhawk

Warhawk Well-Known Member

I was introduced to Fallout at number 3. Having played Arcanum before that, Fallout 2 and 1 did not impress me from a mechanical standpoint.

That said, any game in which I can pull down a console, add gear, and then play a U.S. Army soldier sent Back to the Future is a game I can burn time in. If absolutely nothing else, Bethesda games have enough room to fudge a sandbox, and that's all I ever really wanted from RPGs. I had more fun playing as an NCR Lieutenant in New Vegas than I did doing any of the main quests.

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Even though I've never played Fallout before, I laughed. It took me a while to understand it, but never the less, I laughed in the end :lol:

Also, if it's true that this companion dog named Dogmeat can't die, I'm satisfied with that. I remember in Skyrim, if I travelled to a mission waypoint by horse, I'd stop and get off the horse a good bit away from the mission. Otherwise, the horse would always attack my enemies and die. As if it wasn't annoying in the first place that I had to leave the horse and walk a bit, whenever I'd ride along a road and meet wolves, bandits or whatever else, I'd have to get off the horse and attack them. And the horse just couldn't lay his hooves off them, and then it got killed of course. Every. Damn. Time. :mad:

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

But if Dogmeat is an "essential character", that means he plays a key part in the story so they might actually kill him off during the main quest. By confirming that they potentially spoiled it for us.

15. NuclearWastE3

Regular

In case no one has seen it yet, Bethesda released the contents for Fallout 4 Collector's Edition:
    [​IMG]
    It costs $120 USD :eek:. And that Pip-Boy looking thing is just a wearable plastic smartphone case. One needs their own smartphone to put into the wearable arm brace and, afterward, I'm guessing that one just needs to download a Vault-Tec App to make the gizmo look like an actual functioning Pip-Boy.

Edit: Found a video where it basically mentions everything I assumed. The wearable Pib-Boy was presented at this year's E3 convention:
    [YOUTUBE]QHeGqDr7iXY[/YOUTUBE]

#57 NuclearWastE3, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  16. Meh. I don't have a "smartphone" and I don't plan to.

I'll pick the game only on steam I guess. I'd rather pay $19 than $120 + shipping. Assuming Bethesda doesn't decide to be a cunt and put a ridiculous price tag for CIS as many companies recently do.

17. NuclearWastE3

Regular

You're not alone :)

Agreed. And it seems like Bethesda is giving their dedicated customers less bang for their buck for the recent collector's edition for some of their games. Really, the only thing I would be interested in for the Fallout 4 Collector's is the Pip-Boy manual.

As for the Pip-Boy itself, it'd be great to see it become a fashion trend :p.

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular