Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Komodo Saurian, Jun 3, 2015.

1. [YOUTUBE]GE2BkLqMef4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I have the biggest shit-eating grin right now. I'm super excited for a new engine. As much charm as there is in a developer doing more with less, hopefully it's far less limited than the old one. Here's hoping it'll be worth the wait.

Only thing I'll say is that knowing the current hardware, I highly doubt we're gonna see the in-trailer visuals. Probably gonna see a reduction in at least a few of those post-processing effects.

#2 Potarto, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  3. I hope the fucking coats are no longer attached to your shins.

I'm happy the wait is not as long. While I waited for the Fallout 3 I've finished school and university and moved at least twice.

Also you apparently play as a dog and get a human companion.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This made my day.
    :rofl:

Jokes aside, it does look really disappointing and underwhelming. This doesn't even look like the Creation Engine, it seems as though they're still poking Gamebryo's decaying corpse with a stick to see how much they can get out of it. On the positive side I do like the different colour palette and variety in environments... but that's about it. Everything else seems rather boring and samey. New Vegas was great because it combined the gameplay and graphics of FO3 with the humour, atmosphere, setting and actual role-playing elements of Fallout 2. This however looks much more like Fallout 3, only in 2015 it looks really dated. But there's a dog so it's probably going to be amazing.

5. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

I'm just so hyped, that's all I have to say

6. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

This one has caught my eye more than the last two. Though, from the video, it looks like they still haven't manged to control their white/hazy/washed-out contrast values from fallout -which annoys me. My only problem with the last two fallouts is that it's not very challenging after reaching a level (I only really enjoyed the very beginning of F3 and FNV, the rest was tiresome for me). In Fallout 1,2, and tactics, no matter what level you were, fights against more than five generally well-armed NPCs either killed you or drastically reduced your health and quests remained interesting, in my opinion.

The new animations -such as for the ghouls- look very cool, though; and I'm glad that humanity finally figured out that moving into the 200+ year old, undisturbed, vacant buildings ins't such a bad idea.

*campaign guess* I'm guessing that the evil overseer person that one's probably going to have to kill, at some point in the game, will be stationed aboard the blimp shown at 1:56.

#6 NuclearWastE3, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Yeah, I gotta admit all the creature animations shown in the trailer look quite nice, but I'm not sure if they stand out only due to the seemingly recycled shitty human animations. :p

8. Potarto

This stood out to me, color palette especially, it seems like they redesigned all of the art assets from the ground up. Almost like an entirely different group of artists, un-Bethesda like. Even Oblivion and Skyrim weren't this colorful, save for the rare moments of lots of spells flying around. Reminds of a lot of Rage and The Last of Us, which had some very nice-looking post-apocalyptic environments.

At least we know the environments will probably be much more expansive. Going from a quarter gig of memory (combined 512 MB last gen, half split for VRAM on PS3) to probably around 3ish GB this gen (around 3 GB for OS, 5 remaining, probably 2 or so for textures and 3 or so for the game) is a pretty massive jump. I imagine the biggest change will be not having the game's biggest city be the size of my city block and require three loading screens to get from one end to the other.

It does feel weird though coming from TW3's dynamic wind-blown vegetation to the completely static, un-moving grass patches here.

9. Potarto

Oh hey look, an old leak thread from a disgruntled ex-Bethesda employee that was largely passed off as trolls/lies but seems to so far be completely on-track.

Linky

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Interesting stuff. I think I heard about it some time ago, but I usually don't take any potential leaks seriously and don't look into them in fear of spoilers. I checked this out now and there's some curious content in there, I don't know how truthful regarding the rest of the reveals this is but it's certainly worth a read.

By the way, (as you can see from my previous posts) even though I am obviously being quite cynical about it, I can't deny that part of me is looking forward to it and I'm a fan of the series so I'll probably buy it anyway. I'm just saying that what we've seen in the trailer doesn't look very exciting at the moment.

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]FA0W4SPexIk[/YOUTUBE]

12. He makes a few reasonable points, like the world not being alive, instead being just decorations, but his theories have a couple crippling flaws.

First of all, he is a massive pretentious fucking cunt and has no goddamn idea what he is talking about. Secondly, it's the post-apocalyptic world of the future as seen from the 1950s, it's supposed to be stupid and goofy and full of misconceptions, that's the entire premise. Thirdly people did get out and clean their shit. Just because the tiny communities of feral people with 0 education that we get to meet most of the time didn't manage to get their shit together doesn't mean anyone else didn't. Here are a few obvious examples: The Unity has built the Cathedral and the steam vehicles of the Supermutant army in Fallout 1, Vault 15 survivors went ahead to build Shady Sands that grew into NCR with its own towns, farms, factories, as well as a regular army and the University has built their own humanoid androids that are indistinguishable from real living people. Fourthly, the economy: Water merchants started using nuka-cola bottlecaps as currency because they were pretty rare, it was impossible to counterfeit them and these bottlecaps were backed by water. Later on we have examples like NCR with their minted coins and printed banknotes backed by gold reserves and Legion's coins that ARE gold.

If you are going to take a shit on something at least do your homework.

13. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Komo, my friend, you should not take it so seriously. :p The video is a joke. It's from the same guys who did this:

[YOUTUBE]tjfIIAk7oDg[/YOUTUBE]

And this:

[YOUTUBE]lQIoKiN2ZAQ[/YOUTUBE]

Of course, I understand if you don't find it particularly funny as humour is entirely subjective. Although living in the UK for a while has changed me greatly as would long-term migration anywhere else, I still don't get a lot of British comedy and I think most of their stand-up acts suck in comparison to Polish cabarets, but I was brought up in a different society so it makes sense. I do find some of that channel's "Yir Auld Da" videos really amusing though.

To that guy's credit, I gotta say that - even though the list is a joke and I'm quite sure he was trying not to laugh in parts of it - some of the points can be applied to Bethesda's games of the series. Like you said, almost all the progress civilisation has made after the war (and stuff like Vault City) is limited to the first two games. Moreover, Bethesda actually got rid of much of the goofiness of the world with FO3 and made it much more serious. The 3D Fallouts are not really Fallout like it used to be, except for New Vegas maybe.

#14 Bamul, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
  14. Potarto

Yeah, it seemed pretty obvious it was a joke by the second point he made. Komo just doesn't seem to like a lot of Youtube personalities.

I will say that I've heard the, "it's been 200 years, it's about time they moved on and cleaned shit up" argument before, and it definitely has a ton of validation, but I really just enjoyed the atmosphere of New Vegas much less than Fallout 3. I absolutely love getting to explore radioactive wastelands. Hell, the only reason I went and downloaded the first STALKER was because I saw pics of Chernobyl and thought it would be cool to explore (too bad it seems like the whole interior in-game is just a corridor shooter). The story has to progress somehow, but the crazy radioactive wasteland is just much more enjoyable to explore.

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I get you. New Vegas was pretty rundown too, but it had much more of that "post-apocalyptic Western" feeling of the original Fallouts (not only in setting, but atmosphere and story in general). It was closer to that American version of Mad Max (less serious, takes place in a desert, etc.). It also felt more similar to the wonderfully odd A Boy and His Dog (I'm referring to the entertaining '70s film here as I can't say I read the stories). Same goes for the dark humour, sexual themes and more effect on your choices in New Vegas.

It seems as though I'm only hating on Bethesda's version of Fallout in this thread, so I want to point out that I still think FO3 was a pretty cool game and despite of its drawbacks I found it very exciting for its time.

As for Stalker, the actual power plant was indeed featured in the game in a fairly linear manner, but I'd argue the Zone as a whole was more the focus of that story and it was generally quite open-ended.

Also, I too don't really like many of the YouTube personalities. I can't say I'm that familiar with the channel of the video I embedded here, but I would recommend Jim Sterling and Angry Joe for some of the funnier and more interesting content in games media.

16. Yeah, their entire channel is built on throwing shit into the fan.

But like I said, if you are going to take a crap at anything, even as a joke, do your research first. It is as if they are joking about moon landing being fake, anyone who is at least remotely familiar with the topic will be able to call them out on their bullshit. His complaints could have been valid and funny if they weren't fundamentally wrong. The writers could have gone through /r/fallout for example and picked some of the top controversial discussions and concerns there, instead they did this.

This is how you do a funny joke about Fallout being stupid:

[​IMG]
    Plus insulting people is not the best idea.

First impressions are important. If said YT personality acts like a cunt, insults me and has no idea what he or she is talking about, hell yeah I'll call them idiots.

17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

But... Komo... you're still taking it seriously. :p Like I said, you don't have to find it funny. If it's not funny, just shrug it off. You're really exaggerating the insult part. I'd understand if we were talking about something personal or crucial to one's identity, your background, or referring to any dark stuff that happened in history which generally should not be the topic of jokes, but this? Besides, it's not all that different from the average humour we all post on this forum.

At least he has a point about Bethesda games, because just like BioWare they have a shitload of tropes that they can't seem to get rid of.

Anyway, back to the actual trailer, whenever I see anything from it I still can't get over the fact that Bethesda decided to mix up their colours more this time... it looks so much better that way. Ever since Fallout 3 their games have some kind of tint to them: FO3 was kinda green, NV (made by Obsidian, but same engine) was orange and Skyrim was quite grey.

18. -grumble- -grumble-

19. Potarto

Komo's built to ignore the meanest shit. It's the petty stuff that gets him. :p

Radioactive, hot, and cold filters.

Hopefully we move more away from that kind of stuff this gen, now that we actually have the hardware to populate a standard 1080p screen with actual stuff instead of having to use annoying filters and FXAA blur to cover up super aggressive LOD.