Fallout 3 Metro2033 mod

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by CHIKI-BRIKI, Aug 17, 2015.

1. CHIKI-BRIKI

CHIKI-BRIKI New Member

I'm shure that everyone on this forum have dreamed of openworld metro2033 game. And you guys know what? Look at this. Imagine that there is fallout 3 metro2033 global mod, not just weapons and armor, but entire metro2033 Moscow metro and surface, where you can buy room in those slums on stations, trade things from the surface, and do all that openworld things from fallout. Nazis, Reds, Hanza, Polis, Bandits, other minor factions and unions of stations, random events in the tunnels and surface.
    [​IMG]
    We don't have the SDK for any of metro's, but we have one of the most moddable openworld engines. So I don't know.. let's talk about it? Make some plan maybe.

2. Hey there. This is definitely a cool idea, but it is also a very ambitious project.

I don't think we can find enough people motivated enough to create a game from scratch basically for free.

3. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Fantastic work and great mapping :). I would love to help out; though, I'm kind of sunk into my own Total Conversion Mod, for a different game, and classes are going to be in session next week -so a lot of my time is going to be used up, by other things, and I feel as if I won't be able to really contribute if I signed up. Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to make this? Is using the G.E.C.K. really simple?

You've grabbed my attention and I am interested; but, again, I'm more than likely going to end up being the weak link, in the project ,and that's something I don't want to do if I could help avoid it.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I agree with Komo that this is indeed a very interesting idea, but probably too ambitious to bring fruition. If you asked me this 5 years ago, when I was younger, had more time on my hands and was still passionate about modding, I would probably gladly join you in your noble endeavour. Back then I dabbled a bit in basic modding for Bethesda's games - it was nothing serious and it's probably all broken now due to years of patches and/or re-releases. Even if that happened though, I would only be able to assist you with really basic stuff like modifying interiors/exteriors, creating text on terminals or discs, adding options to character creation, modifying NPC attributes or importing meshes/textures made by other people. I never got the hang of creating dialogue or scripting, which is where the real potential lies in creating a cool story that could unfold in an otherwise static environment. I also never even tried 3D modelling.

Anyway, don't let our lack of involvement discourage you. A few years ago a group of people on this forum wanted to create their own translation of Metro 2034 (this was long before the English version came out)... it didn't work out in the end, but the point is that you may find other members of the forum who would like to join your project. :p I don't know whether you have any experience with modding or not, however I can give you some tips: don't be afraid to use content created by other users though ONLY if they have explicitly expressed consent. Chances are that much of the things you want to include in your final mod may already be out there (weapons or armour from or inspired by the Metro game and such), which would save you a lot of time and effort. There are many cool modders out there who would gladly permit you to use their stuff in your mod as long as you give them credit for it officially - this way their creations get free promotion on someone else's page and they can feel good about helping another person out with something (they might even become interested and join the project). If their mod doesn't detail any permissions, just send them a PM about it.

If you're finding it really difficult to find support, you could publish what you've already made on the Nexus and see if anyone becomes interested in the assets or beta of the upcoming mod. Also, never forget to give accurate and step-by-step instructions on how to install your mod - including links to any other mods or programs that are required for your mod to function correctly. Last but not least, I would recommend creating your mod using only the vanilla version of Fallout 3 without any DLC installed. I know that it's been a while since it all came out, but many people still haven't ever played the expansions and by using DLC assets in your mod you are potentially limiting the amount of downloads and attention your project will garner.

Sorry if you already have experiencing with modding and this comes off as condescending (if you do then it's probably much more than I ever achieved, I was a helluva noob), that is not my intent as I'm only trying to help. ;)

5. CHIKI-BRIKI

CHIKI-BRIKI New Member

Komodo Saurian
    Well, yep, that is pretty obviously not the easy task, but anyway let's try to start the start of start of something.

NuclearWastE3
    Duuude it is some metro dungeon from Fallout 3, opened in GECK, I haven't made a bloody anything by myself right now. What game are you modding btw? As for the easiness of using GECK, well, there is a lot of buttons, but when you finding out what are they doing, one by one, it turns into, you know, good big complex creation kit with options and instruments for everything from worldspace editing to npc and questmaking. And as for the interior spaces making, it is just choosing and placing the "walls" you need to form the halls you need, like constructor. Here is the example:

[YOUTUBE]0rK5UdhMyas[/YOUTUBE]

Remember when SKyrim was not yet released, the devs was talking about unique dungeons? They built all dungeons using small different curved stone and earth pieces, while in Oblivion caves was built from entire halls and tunnels as "details".

Bamul
    Thank you for all the info man, you actually doubled my eagerness to try to do it. It is really good to have someone who already familiar with bethesda's creation kits. I personally had very little experience with skyrim ck, I've made a small iceland with house and a few trees, following the guide videos on youtube, just to see how it works, also imported heightmap from some heightmap editor, forgot which one exactly. So if I will advance to actually doing something, I certainly will ask you for help.

So, Bethesda gave us creation kits and we can make anything from everything that are ALREADY IS IN the game, be it oblivion, skyrim, or any of the third fallouts. So to recreate something from metro2033 universe, we need a models and textures of it. The interior walls of stations and tunnels, furnitures, barricades, weapons, armor suits and civilian clothes, mutants. And the sounds ofcourse. We also gotta choose which metro we want to be recreated - the one from 2033 with nuclear winter, or last light with spring, swamps and flooded stations and tunnels. So... where to begin?
    The main thing is level creation. Stations, tunnels and accessible parts of Moscow surface. For a start, it would be ideal to recreate stations from the game, from VDNH to Polis and D6. We have two ways: one is to firstly create interior walls of Moscow metro, or just take them from the metro games somehow, import it all in GECK and start building things. And the second way is to build something similar to stations of Moscow metro using native Fallout3 metro interiors and objects. There already is slums, planks, those iron net fences, barbwires, tiles, things like refregerators and stoves and other household appliances. Due to obvious reasons like unnecessaryness of creating whole bunch of new models and textures or pulling them out from the metro games, the second way is more preferable. However, I've found this: http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/level-riga-63949.html
    [​IMG]
    but still I don't know if using this is legal or not, even for noncommercial project. And we don't know how it all gonna looks and works in fallout3, maybe it is too heavy for the engine, or something else. And there is only 3 levels available. But damn, look at the truck. Then, when level is ready, filling it with furnitures, npc's and all the things.
    So, I guess I'll start from VDNH station. I gotta see all the objects GECK have, that can be used in building and then try to build something. Damn everything is getting so clear when you just thinking of it when writing it. If I die, you guys tell them I died for metro.

#5 CHIKI-BRIKI, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Edited your post to embed the video and added the link. Sorry about that restriction, it's something that has been implemented a while ago to reduce the amount of spam being successfully posted by bots (unfortunately it has not really helped much).

I can't say I'd be of much use now since I don't think I have any of the creation kits installed and I haven't touched them in years, so I'd definitely be very rusty, but if I recall anything then I'll let you know. :) There was a pretty cool (possibly official) website for the GECK with plenty of useful tutorials, but it appears to be no longer functioning.

Those models look like they're ripped straight from the game, so you should contact someone from 4A Games directly. Some devs are absolutely fine with people taking stuff out of their games and using it for modding (CD Projekt have at one point given permission for ripping models/textures and just placing them in other games, hence the many Witcher mods for Skyrim), but this varies from one studio to another. If you have trouble contacting 4A, I believe Komo had and may still have contact with one of the people working there so he may be able to help you with that. However, I would definitely look into what other modders have uploaded and ask if you can use some of that; for example check out this and this.

Haha, sure thing! :p

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

My friend is crazy about Cheeki Breeki, it was his Steam-name for quite sometime, and he showed me this video:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=3cqDXlfASMM[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, we've all indeed dreamt of an open-world metro. I assume most of us have milked out Fallout and/or the Stalker games because it's the closest thing to that. If you'd look back in our older threads, I'm sure you'd find tons of ideas for an open-world metro game/mod. The picture at the top here actually reminds me of Garry's Mod, where a community successfully ran a Metro2033 Serious Roleplay for quite some time, and they used custom-made maps. I don't know if there's any way you could use resources from those maps in your work? Perhaps textures? :noidea:

8. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Ahhh. I see. It looks familiar now after you mentioned it :p.

I'm modding Doom II. The user interface is extremely easy and there are a bunch of tutorials. I'll make a thread about it in the coming days.

Cool. Though, I imagine making new animations is going to be extremely difficult (at least for mutants). As for textures, you could always take screenshots, from games, and just size them to fit correctly in fallout 3. Or, you could just take pictures of your surrounding areas and just upload them into the game. Also, I'm not sure, but Fallout 3 probably has a specific color pallet that won't let you exceed the color values used in the game. For Fallout 3, the theme is rather "Green" and, well, Metro 2033 is...."Blue," "grey,"....."Normal." Nonetheless, the colors are very different from each other and you'd probably want to find out how to import different color pallets, into Fallout 3, so that it could re-create the ones used in Metro.

-----------------------------------
    :lol: For me, whenever the bandits would shout this out, I always thought they said "Chicken Bliken." Whatever the hell that means.

#8 NuclearWastE3, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This is a really good point. Here is something that could probably be adjusted to fit the colour scheme of Metro more. Once a nice setting is figured out, the values (or file with the settings) can be included on the download page as the recommended way of playing the mod. :)

10. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

If a map was developed you would be better off starting with 'Garrys Mod'. The Metro roleplay community there is incredibly large, but is slowly dying from a lack of innovating content. A new map is something we would welcome with open arms.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yup, a new map will be a big innovative thing for the Metro franchise since a lot of people noticed that it's become quite stale over the time.