Faction Pack discussion

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by The Gusten, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Which mission was your favorite?

1. Reich heavy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red sniper

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Kshatriya

39 vote(s)
    95.1%
  1. The Gusten

The Gusten Well-Known Member

Discuss about the new DLC. What was good/bad? And which mission did you like the most?

I really liked the Kshatriya mission, the Librarians were tough as hell!

Edit by Skaara, credits goes to Komodo Saurian for these great walkthroughs:

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=YGLByU1bFS0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=WmgMZZiiA6g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?feature=player_embedded&v=OrqbgQWJfxQ[/YOUTUBE]

#1 The Gusten, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2013
  2. Skaara Dreadlocks

I am extremely disappointed and even aggrovated by the Heavy Reich mission. So disappointed that I didn't even care to finish it. It's not really the typical metro experience; it's full head-on war. It's pretty much "TAEK dese epic OP gunz 'n' shewt dem badguys dat r walkin towards us wifout even takin covur!".
    It also makes me confused and disoriented. There's so many random bullets whizzing by your head from nowhere and so many random explosions from nowhere. Too many unnecessary effects&sounds, and it causes my whole PC to lag out extremely. My own PC is of course partially to blame for this, but it can easily run the two other missions without lagging at all.

The two other missions on the other hand.... They're absolutely marvellously great!
    The Red Sniper mission made me feel really stealthy and tactical like a real metro-ninja, and I loved seeing that same Nazi outpost on the surface, just changed in so many ways. It looks so different now because of all the snow being gone.

The Ranger mission is very great, I believe it might be the greatest one. You all already know the information about it. It's almost like an open-world game. Except that it's very closed off, so it's almost only linear, but you get to decide where you want to walk; you don't have to keep going, you can go back to the base and take a nap after delivering back the artifacts you've found, or you can take your chances with the filters and keep going until your backpack is full. And on the way, you encounter several events with your aquaintances from the base so it doesn't feel so lonely.

Although, on the second level, to the right when you leave the stairs, then the first room to the right, there are two guys standing on each side of a fire, talking with each other. Killing them results in the guy above them, who is along and 100% surely cannot see them or hear them in any way, to discover you and trigger the alarm. If you absolutely must kill those guys, you'll have to kill that guy above first. Here's a picture of the room they're in: (With one of them bugged out, lol)
    [​IMG]

Also, they've gone back to red shotgun shells for some reason. I think it might be because they're all incendiary.

3. The Gusten

Haha:lol:

4. Jastreb

Jastreb Active Member

Exactly how i feel too, i mean, it was just ridiculous playing on ranger hardcore, so i had to restart all my original chapters to return it to 'original mode'. it took me 30 minutes to kill guys with the shields and man behind them because those snipers just keep respawning and i had no cover at all. Now I'm stuck with the tank, i simply dunno what to do, where do i shot? The man on machine gun is a fricking terminator it's pointless to shot him. Now i'm playing the second mission, it looks cool so far(ive been playing it for 10 minutes, i'm in hurry right now), but again i got pissed, when i returned to base to open the door, apparently it takes some time to be opened, and meanwhile 10 watchman attacked me and killed me and i have to start all over again. But that doesn't mean i don't like it, i'm pumped as hell to play it, can't wait to play it after job.

5. The Gusten

I have completed them all and I have two tips.

On the Reich mission there is a box with ammo on the left side close to were you pick up the Volt gun.

On the ranger mission, behind from were you spawn is a door, press on the door to save, I know this is obvious to some but I know some people who didn't know how to save.

6. Remer

Remer Active Member

God, the Reich mission is awful. Terrible performance issues and it is impossible on ranger. Please 4A, never EVER EVER go Call of Duty again. I beg of you. But goddamn I'm loving the Polis one, it actually feels a lot like 2033 and Stalker combined.

7. Conkerr

Conkerr New Member

I liked the Reich mission. It was fun and entertaining for what it is. I also liked how the guy next to me kept yelling "MORE COMMIE MUTANTS"as as I mauled down everyone with the minigun.:)

Hated the Sniper mission because the stealth was way to easy aas it should have have been alot harder. Towards the end with the towers and searchlights I could stay in the light for a good five secs before any npc would even notice me. I also hated that mission in 2033 I was always confused how to get out of that stupid complex.

Overall very happy with the DLC.

8. Heavygunner

Heavygunner Well-Known Member
    Regular

Reich mission was shit. The Sniper mission is great!(It should be harder)..........BUT THE POLIS MISSION IS AWESOME!!!It gives you the truly feeling of a Stalker!:eek:

Good DLC but the Reich mission was crap and shouldn't be in that.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

"Two tips" ...??? Those two are basically essential to the whole mission! It is absolutely impossible to complete the two missions without knowing that. But thank you for sharing it none the less :)

This just opposes to my very being. True, the weapons were fun and entertaining.. if we would be given a chance to use them in a fun and entertaining way. Every single time that guy next to me yelled "MORE COMMIE MUTANTS", my whole being ached and I yelled back "Can you shut the heck up?! I'm trying to concentrate here, and it's enough with all the other random sound-effects coming from everywhere and nowhere!", while I was mauling people down with the minigun, thinking "This is just braindead stupidity.. -_-". :lol:

#9 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  10. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

Wow, the Reich mission really was fucking abysmal. Just awful.

Fortunately, the sniper mission is badass and Ranger mission is about as close to STALKER as we're going to get in, well, who even knows?

Oh, and guess what? Ranger Hardcore is even more half-assed in the DLC than it was in the OC (if that's even possible) -- specifically, the difficulty on Reich Heavy is absurd and the inventory management on the Ranger mission is retarded to the point of being unusable. While I'm sure the semi-literates will crawl out of the woodwork to defend it, do yourself a favor and just play it on Ranger Normal. It's not like the game is actually difficult on ANY difficulty level and at least in this manner, you won't have to walk around like a lobotomized lab chimp.

#10 lebbers, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  11. Unbiased

Unbiased Member

I thought it was fun, but I do agree that it's close to impossible for the Reich and Ranger missions.

The sniper Mission was no problem on Ranger hardcore, but on the Ranger Mission very early on you are swarmed by nosalises, armed with nothing but an ashot and a bastard. If you somehow survive this, which i never did, you would then have to contend with watchmen, lurkers, a demon, and finally the librarians, all while manually managing your filters (you will actually have to take note of how many filters you buy. you start with 5 minutes and every purchased one adds 5. if you're using a notepad to count it, make sure to check the time left on your watch when removing your gas mask.) When taking all of this into account, Kshatriya can be completed on ranger hardcore as well

last, and definitely not least, is the reich mission. I couldn't even get past the first wave of dudes without dying. this mission is simply poorly made for ranger hardcore. a little cover for the player would make this mission much simpler to actually complete.

In conclusion, on Ranger Harcore Mode:
    Sniper Team: As Easy as the base game, if not easier.
    Kshatriya: Difficult. Requires extra effort IRL.
    Front Line: If it's possible, I'd sure like to see how. :)

That said, It's a pretty rad first DLC pack, and I can't wait to see what the next packs have in store.

12. lebbers

lebbers Well-Known Member

Well, there's a bit of cover on the right hand side in the form of a concrete slab that's several feet thick. Unfortunately, the Reds are using temporally unstable multiphasic rounds which can pass through 4 feet of reinforced concrete like a knife through Artyom's intraparietal sulcus on Ranger Hardcore mode.

13. ACHILLES4713

ACHILLES4713 Member

Reich: I enjoyed it for the narrative aspects of it, but it was very poorly designed. I often died from getting shot through cover! When I got to the tank part I tried doing the usual thing with sniping out the wheels, but that machine gun turret guy wasn't having any of that! So I just resorted to bombarding it with the grenade launcher. I really love that thing! Plus, there was some weird pink square that was floating among the bodies when the finishing cut scene kicked in. The whole thing feels like it wasn't polished that much.
    Red Sniper: I really enjoyed this mission, though the stealth was too easy. Though I guess that’s to be expected since they dumbed down the AI, and they aren’t going to write a whole new AI routine just for a short DLC. I also wish they would have put some traps in the map (broken glass, tripwires, etc.) it would have made it a little more difficult and bring back some of the magic of Metro: 2033. But altogether, it was pretty well done.
    Polis Ranger: Definitely the best of the three. Very good dialogue (especially from the two Rangers you meet when you go into the decontamination chamber for the first time) and has lots of other little things that makes the experience seem like a world that you’re living in and not just a game. I ended up getting stuck on that one. I had found all the artifacts in the tunnels near the station and everything in the rooms above. And I kept spending the money on weapon upgrades, so eventually I had no ammo and very little money, and no way to explore the outside since I didn’t have money to buy the hazmat suit. I’m going to try it again and try to save my money as much as I can.
    Also, one thing I was wondering, the DLC description mentioned three weapons (Hellbreath, Medved, and the Silent Sniper Rifle) Is that just referring to the weapons you use in the Reich and Sniper missions? Or are they available in the base game as well? I loaded up the first chapter and looked at the armory and saw only the RPK that I downloaded, so maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part!

14. ACHILLES4713

ACHILLES4713 Member

:laugh: Yep, exactly!

15. Conkerr

Conkerr New Member

Well, what did you expect?
    Within the first ten seconds of starting the level you're hauling ass on a rail car and greeted with a firework show while the terminator theme plays in the background. Personally for the 5-15 min of gameplay that's in that level, I think it was entertaining to mow down the enemys the game threw at me

At least I think we agree that the Ranger level is amazingly well done.

16. Remer

Remer Active Member

Can you guys imagine how amazing a semi-open Metro game would be? One like the Ranger mission except 20x longer and more story-oriented? I didn't really mind backtracking back to the station as much as I thought I would because it gave me a chance to really soak up the atmosphere, and fear for another mutant attack.

17. TheStalker

TheStalker Dragon Slayer

last light was originally planned to be semi open, same as the current game but with a HUB base that we could go to and a few optional things. they then made it more linear and exactly like 2033's COMPLETELY linear model

18. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I have very mixed feelings so far. Important to say is that I have yet to play Ranger mission, which I left for last and by feedback on it, it may save Faction pack.

Red sniper mission - 15 minutes. That was all it took even when I had to restart first area twice (and had to climb the stairs again and again). All enemies were basically turned away from me, I counted 5 silent kills in a row without any need to sneak around or wait--that is ridiculous. There was too much ammo for Vychlop, you could kill every single enemy with it, which put the challenge to negative numbers.

Reich mission is utterly chaotic and abysmally optimized--screen tearing, sound glitching and that hellish German accent your fellow combatants use...
    I did not like the gameplay, the fact I could not hide at all. There were also some issues with saves that could save you in a moment that would force you to restart whole mission. Worst thing was the grenade launcher--due to all the shaking and chaos, it was nearly impossible to determine where your shots land, sometimes grenades detonated on impact, sometimes they seem not to...

I really hope Ranger mission will help to improve my impression otherwise Faction pack is going to be a disappointment. It might also be caused partially by the fact I'm currently hooked up on The Last of Us on borrowed PS3--that game has me by the balls for good week now and I still cant get enough of it.

19. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

well, let's see, reich mission, couldn't get through the first part and then when I did, I went to get the sniper rifle and the game just made me look at it for all eternity instead of piucking it up, so a no go there, haven't got pack to it, great start :D

Sniper mission, easy as sin, I don't really remember it and the only hard parts were getting out of that damn building, just like metro 2033 and realising you have to look at the zipline to use it (also, why, in a post apocalyptic setting does he have a semi-shiny karabiner). I don't really remember the level but hope in another dlc, they'll carry on the level from where they stopped.

Ranger Mission, oh god, flashbacks, terror, I've only done one walk into the library so far but already I'm terrified, when I walked into the main atrium and remembered everything from metro 2033, I really felt like staying in Polis for eternity, I haven't met a librarian yet and I don't know if I'm looking forward to it and also they seem to have even more Stalker ambient sounds which makes it all the more terrifying

I'd give this DLC an 8/10 Reich mission for all the 'it's not metro' is a cool looking level and let's you play around with the updated gun mechanics properly ableit on a call of duty scale and also I know it glitched but meh. Sniper mission just wasn't that good and contrary to many, I think it was the worst because it had no challenge and was just a bit boring. Ranger mission, well, one word, librarians.

20. AngusGM

AngusGM New Member

Apologies for the repost, but this probably belongs here >< Overall, I thought the pack had some great ideas, but it just wasn't long enough to make them feel satisfying. Admittedly it was only £4, but I wouldn't have minded paying more to see the ideas better developed - or paying the same, but having just one of the ideas done justice.

[YOUTUBE]pJTsBOkpoPM[/YOUTUBE]