EverQuest Next Canceled – The MMO Genre is Dead

Discussion in 'Everquest Next' started by free999enigma, Mar 15, 2016.

1. free999enigma

free999enigma New Member

2. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The problem I have with all of this is the stupid need people have to announce games 3-4 years in advance. They announced this game before they had anything really designed expect for some very big features. Then they have to cancel it because they are not fun... It really takes no time to build a community, well less than a year.. so why spend all that effort and money marketing a game so early. They ended up just looking like idiots.

3. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's always a shame to see games get cancelled, but I can't say this surprises me all that much. The game just wasn't all that fun to play - It was way too ambitious for it's own good.

4. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's sad that eq is such a legend and getting cancelled out like this. Very few people understand how high WoW set the bar for competitors and how the exchange of time has made almost every other mmo, even WoW itself, fall below the old bar of expectation the game set.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with this. It was like a science experiment ( and very similar to No Man´s Sky ) in that they just kept trying to say ´what we can do´, but they never went back and talked about ´what will players do for fun´. Neither game ever really spelled out what players will do that is entertaining as much as they describe these big tech things they want to accomplish.

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's too bad. I heard a lot about this enough to make me curious and want to try it out but I always just put it off and never looked into it. I would not say I'm that bummed about it though since I do have lots more other options I could play with anyway.

7. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

EQ isn't being canceled. EQ Next was not EQ. It was supposed to be the next game in the franchise. EQ and EQ2 are still fine and the franchise has not been killed off or canceled.