eso free to play?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by m0ldy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member
    Regular

Game seems fun but is it subscription based or one time purchase? Do you think it will move towards free to play? I would play if it went free to play. Always love the morrowind games and skyrim.

2. IgCho

IgCho Active Member
    Regular

It's a one time purchase. I don't think you'll see it heads towards free to play anytime soon, but anything is possible. In general I would say that the one time purchase model is worth it for the content provided.

3. Rodrigo Menezes

Regular

Yes. It is only a one time purchase, then you can enjoy it anytime you pleased.

4. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's a one-time purchase game. But seeing how it's faring, it probably will implement the GW2 method of free-to-play but buy to enjoy in the near future, after which it'll just go free-to-play.

5. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is a buy to play game yet, but I think they will move to completely f2p in the near future if they would want to keep the game afloat for much longer.

6. dblanch

dblanch Member
    Regular

I think they ran a free-to-play version a while ago, but as far as I know, you pay for it once and then you own it forever, including whatever DLC packs you bought or the season pass. Basically just view it's pricing as the same as any other big release.

7. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is a one-time payment game. You don't need to worry about too many other things. That's what makes it great. I don't like subscription based things myself.

8. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

It is unlikely it will be completely free to play, I honestly think that craze is over and more games are just going to go b2p. It removes the negative aspect of having a subscription, and at the same time it keeps your player count down to a low enough number where you don´t have to spend a million dollars on customer support or eliminating problems caused by throw-away free accounts.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sadly no, but there are some weekend promos and stuff like that when it becomes free to play for a few days. But it's a multiplayer version of Skyrim, and what I loved about Skyrim was the appeal of being the sole wanderer for an entire region, and it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want with this vast area. You can do quests, dungeon exploring, or simply just wandering around to see what's what. With this online version, there would be toxic players to contend with, and that's just something I'd rather not deal with.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

There really isn´t anymore. Once you get outside of the first few months that an MMORPG launches, you only get toxic or anti-social behavior in the pvp parts of the game. The worst thing you will see is doing dungeons with people who have done it a million times already and want you to go faster, or possibly doing a quest at the same spot as someone else and having to share the mobs, which can slow you down a bit. For a game like Teso that is losing subs fast, you just don´t see the competitive antisocial behavior like you see at launch.

11. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's one-time purchase. So, you can't call it a completely free game but you can play this game anytime after you purchase it.

12. gonemorp

Regular

Yes, you are right. I also dislike the subscription based games and that is why one-time payment games are good.

13. gonemorp

Regular

When will it move to f2p? Do you know the exact date?

14. Chris_A

Regular

I don`t really know the exact date or if they will ever do it. But I think it is unavoidable. Bigger MMOs then ESO went free to play because of lack of users. Just take a look at Wildstar.

15. gonemorp

Regular

Let's just wait for the final announcement and the original release. I hope they will do it soon.

Chris_A likes this.
  16. gonemorp

Regular

Yes, they ran a free to play version. That was a boon for me but I paid once.

17. Chris_A

Regular

I really hope they will, eventually, as I can`t wait to check the game out once it goes F2P.

18. gonemorp

Regular

I am also waiting for the same.

19. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

But games like Guild Wars 2 have not, and have a bigger playerbase and dev team. The costs of allowing millions of players to play for free who can´t be bothered to spend $20 for a box isn´t worth it.

20. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Member
    Regular

The content is worth the one time purchase. I'm not sure I'd pay for a recurring subscription to access it. I am a huge fan of Morrowind.

: skyrim