Enable Ranger HC - File Tweak

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by majnu, May 27, 2013.

1. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/embar...can-be-easily-activated-via-a-registry-tweak/

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

3. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

Isn't this the same as stealing 5$ ? ;D trololol

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

You could look at it that way. The people that hasn't gotten Ranger Hardcore yet will not be buying Ranger Hardcore at all. (Assuming Deep Silver is out of Limited Editions). They would just have to wait for the release of the Ranger Hardcore DLC, which will be free of charge (after what I've heard). So neither Deep Silver nor 4A Games will lose money on this in the same way they'd lose money if someone pirated the game itself instead of buying it. ;)

Also, I believe Deep Silver and 4A Games won't really care too much about this bypass that Majnu has posted, as the only reason they charged five extra dollars for RHC, is because that if they removed it from the Limited Edition, a lot of buyers would feel exploited and would have reason to directly blame Deep Silver.
    The people that didn't buy the limited edition for 5 extra dollars will now get the RHC for free before it becomes free. This will probably anger some people, but at least they can't blame Deep Silver for it, and therefor I don't think Deep Silver cares too much about this.

5. This has been around for a week. 4A Games isn't EA, however, so I've reported this exploit to the devs last friday.

6. Hazard

Hazard Member

Er, what? You can buy the Ranger pack from Steam.

And where have they said that the Ranger mode(s) would become free at some point?

7. Trust him, he's the Doctor.

He would know.

8. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

Normally I would oppose this way of accessing content because it borders with piracy, however, in this case I dont mind. Ranger difficulty setting is rushed, half-assed mod, that is implemented in very illogical way in Metro Last Light. It also seems it will soon be made as free DLC since current publisher inherited it this way and could not change in in timee for the release.

9. brynje

brynje Well-Known Member

it IS piracy basically... I agree the ranger mode was a bit half arsed. But that doesn't make it ok. Is it ok to steal someones rusty old car? ;D

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

We already have a thread for this, don't start this here :p

Alright, let's say that Deep Silver aren't out of LE copies and/or that the Ranger mode never will come as free DLC;
    Deep Silver still didn't want the Ranger Hardcore gamemode to cost money in the first place. So all in all, I think they find this fair. But I can't say that for sure, so I'll have a look here and there for now.

11. brfritos

brfritos New Member

Excuse me, but how this is piracy, thieving or stealing?

You download something from an outsource location and modified the original game files?
    No.

You edited, modified, extracted or did something with the original game files?
    No.

You copied other files and replaced the game files with tempered ones?
    No.

So how the hell people modifying their own OS is something "ilegal"?

If you want to blame someone blame Kock Media, Silver Deep or even 4A, who aren't able to program or even ship their game right, instead resorting in tricking your own system for not letting you known that some portions of the game are installed.

Is the same situation with ME3 "From Ashes" or some fo their weapon pakcs, all the files for using the additional squadmate and weapons are installed by default, the only thing you have to do is MOD the savefile (is not even the game files, is the SAVEGAME)!

Someday we will have even the ability to mod being labelled as "piracy".

12. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

I agree this is NOT piracy. It is bringing back content which is DISC LOCKED! Dirty THQ tactics shall never prevail. It should never had been bonus content.

13. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

You are accessing restricted content via means that are not in line with policy set up by developer or publisher of the game. You do not need to do anything from the list in your post to be illegally accessing a content not meant for you. The rest is just playing with words.

Now, I also say that I as a user and customer do not appreciate such practices of certain publishers. I did in the past and will in a future express my discontent with such practices by ways most appropriate for customer, I will not buy such content nor I will support such company in future if those practices persist. This is the right way to say what to think about "Disc Locked Content."

I would also not mind if Deep Silver makes Ranger DLC freely avaiable or merge it with future DLCs. I bought limited edition of the game, nothing else was available in my country, therefore, I did not pay additional money for it. Would I be willing to pay for it stand-alone? NO. Would I use this trick to get my hands on it? NO.

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's hardly a trick. Most games lock access to files that allow you to put paid content back into the game - 4A Games did not lock this. I'm thinking that this is probably their way of letting everyone have Ranger Mode. I mean, no one from Deep Silver or 4A has challenged these posts, have they? And this has been out for a while now...

15. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I see both sides. On one hand, it's simply more convenient for a software developer to give out a master disc and have you pay for certain content on it. It's how the business has been done for some time, and if everybody just hacked the master disc then the developer would be in big financial trouble.

On the other hand, I can definitely see the side that it's your disc, and I can't really imagine any effective way for it to be illegal to modify a copy of software that you own. If a company sold you a box and then sold physical keys to open another potion of the box, imagine how well they could enforce something like that. If the box is in someone's possession, I have a hard time justifying any kind of legal action against someone who breaks open their property. I really don't think the developer can just say that this portion of the box is theirs, they just tacked it onto yours; it's either your box or it isn't, and if somebody wants to modify the product that they already paid for then I haven't an ounce of condemnation towards them.

Ranger mode was also half-assed. Other than the new weapon (which is basically a reskinned Kalash for most intents and purposes), there's little to nothing in the way of new content. It doesn't necessarily justify "theft" of the product, but it's hardly like someone is just copying files that somebody else bought.

#15 Potarto, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013