Elder Dragons

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: Lore Discussion' started by Silas, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

The five dragons --->

Primordus.
    Zhaitan.
    Jormag.
    Kralkatorrik.
    " Deep sea dragon ".

I found this text about the last mentioned dragon, this dragon is kinda unknown...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"Deep_Sea_dragon"

So does anyone know more about this mysterious dragon? I think its kinda cool this dragon doesnt have an official name. Also lemme know how much you guys like the whole dragon aspect.. i like it!

Btw, Notes

According to Edge of Destiny, Kralkatorrik is about 20 times larger than Glint!!( grazy right!? ). Kralkatorrik can be found sleeping in the original game in Grothmar Wardowns.
    This is Glint for the people who dont know her.. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Glint

Elder Dragons

The Elder Dragons are a mysterious race of draconic creatures more dangerous than any one threat Tyria has ever faced before. Older than the Six Gods, and possibly predating Giganticus Lupicus, these ancient creatures have been sleeping for thousands of years, forgotten by the races of Tyria, and have wreaked havoc as they awakened again.

Described as forces of nature, akin to a tsunami or earthquake, the Elder Dragons seem unstoppable as they cause widespread destruction across Tyria. The races of Tyria are unable to understand their intelligence, motivation or even gender, as the Elder Dragons are primordial forces. To Tyrians, they are no different from the natural disasters they are described as. However, each of the Elder Dragons have their own unique motivation and ways to act, be it in what they do or how they corrupt things.

In 1120 AE, Primordus was the first to awaken. It caused havoc beneath the surface of Tyria and forced the subterranean asura to the surface permanently. The dwarves traveled into the depths to suppress its forces but it is unknown how successful they were. Following Primordus came Jormag, who awoke in 1165 AE, emerging from the Northern Shiverpeak Mountains, cracking the Shiverpeak Mountains and in turn creating inland seas.

Other dragons began to stir. In 1219 AE, Zhaitan's awakening caused the entire Orrian peninsula to rise from the ocean, flooding the coastlines of Tyria and drowning thousands. Zhaitan conscripted those killed into an undead army, spanning the Strait of Malchor and blocking access to and from Cantha. Another dragon awoke at the bottom of the sea, creating tentacled horrors from rivers and lakes. In 1320 AE, Kralkatorrik rose from north of the Charr Homelands, flying south over Ascalon, corrupting everything in its path. It settled in the Crystal Desert effectively preventing communication with Elona.

The Elder Dragons maintain a stranglehold over Tyria to this day. Each of the races has tried to deal with the threat as best they can, but if they truly wish to survive and defeat the dragons they have to work together. Already there are several multi-racial orders who dedicate themselves to finding a solution to the dragons.

2. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

Never heard of it either, it seems like some kind of underwater dragon. That'd be actually pretty cool. Having a dungeon underwater with an epic dragon down there... hmm lol

3. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Ow yes i totally agree with you :) That would be awesome indeed. But read this.. this is from Guildwars2 wiki..

Notes

The Movement of the World mentions a "cycle" of awakening. Nothing more is known about this statement. The dragons may not be a united force. An interview implies that the dragons fight among themselves as well as against the races of Tyria. [1]

Zhaitan will be the ONLY Elder Dragon that players physically encounter in the initial release of Guild Wars 2.

Soooow that means we dont get to see the mysterious dragon at the initial release.. but im sure the expansions later on will make up for that.

Or maybe it means we see the other dragons but not fight them ?

4. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Why would they reveal all these bad ass dragons when they can be released in content updates :p

[​IMG]

5. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Lol... we're talking about the Elder Dragons here Unknown, not just dragons like The Scatterer or Tequatl wich they indeed revealed... The Elder Dragons are something bigger. And ofcourse can they reveal them they even revealed them sleeping in GW 1 but thats not the point. Point is.. not all dragons did we see before and certainly not in the way they are fighting or anything. Weve only seen Zhaitan awaken and its a fact we are going to physically encounter that dragon and that dragon ONLY in the INITIAL release..

This picture is of Kralkatorrik sleeping in Grothmar wardowns (EOTN).
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/fe/Kralkatorrik.jpg

Ive took a screenshot ingame of this dragon aswell ;p
    Btw.. Unknown.. the pic youve posted.. thats probably a wurm lol..

6. lolwut

lolwut Well-Known Member

Woha that picture is epic. Unknown picture could be a frost wurm. How do you think they will be revealed in game? expansions? that would be a pretty good tactic to release an elder dragon in the expansions however it would get old quickly, nobody is looking for the same kind of encounters in each expansions, so I doubt they would do that. Something like an underwater dragon would change things tho.

1 person likes this.
  7. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

Lol I was thinking of something like this before actually. Would be a good idea and something i'm sure we'd all be interested in.

"The Elder Dragons are a mysterious race of draconic creatures more dangerous than any one threat Tyria has ever faced before. Older than the Six Gods, and possibly predating Giganticus Lupicus, these ancient creatures have been sleeping for thousands of years, forgotten by the races of Tyria, and have wreaked havoc as they awakened again.
    Described as forces of nature, akin to a tsunami or earthquake, the Elder Dragons seem unstoppable as they cause widespread destruction across Tyria. The races of Tyria are unable to understand their intelligence, motivation or even gender, as the Elder Dragons are primordial forces. To Tyrians, they are no different from the natural disasters they are described as. However, each of the Elder Dragons have their own unique motivation and ways to act, be it in what they do or how they corrupt things."

Even though dragons alone are lame and overused I do like the way arenanet are using them, it's pretty difficult to get me excited to see a dragon when I seen them in every game and movie but that sounds absolutely epic.

- second edit

[​IMG]

this picture is absolutely epic even though not much is displayed.
    Truly shows the scale of these things.. a force of nature indeed.

1 person likes this.
  8. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I think that we will meet the other elder dragons in the expansions. The end of the personal story at release revolves around the first one. I wouldn't worry about it getting old as I think each of the dragons is very unique in how they work and the affects they'll have on the world - as in I think each time we defeat one it will be world changing. For example, defeating Zhaitan should open up Cantha.

I'm very curious how they will handle new races. I'm not sure I see a lot of new classes coming in the future - think they will just add new weapons and/or abilities. But I do see them adding a lot of races - it lets them expand the game horizontally which appears to be a focus of theirs. Maybe the expansion that deals with Primordus will have us discover where the dwarves went and let us be underground dwellers.

9. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, i wouldnt worry about getting old either... Arenanet has such a proffesional team they pay attention to every little detail. Thye rly CARE about what people like you and me think about the game and they want us to have fun like they have right now... dammit.. :p Release!!!

10. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

I found these awesome pictures of ALL the Elder Dragons.

3661465_657_realsize.jpg
    Zhaitan

kralkatorrik_by_darkprincekain-d48027i.jpg
    Kralkatorrik ( Eotn)

Jormag_norn_intro_concept_art.jpg
    Jormag

20110831_da1742b531821a9c7e52pXVm26NThRGA-1.jpg
    Primordus

20110831_914cbc0b3e0a5b3e2021tyUz4I4chHbV.jpg
    " Deep sea dragon "

Does anyone have a better picture of Jormag ?

11. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

Jormag stood out to me the most among the rest of the pictures, I think I like that one because of the frost/mist. What's the details on that dragon?

*Edit*

Jormag is the Elder Ice Dragon that lives in the northern reaches of the Shiverpeak Mountains. As early as 1078 AE Jormag was actively influencing Tyria. He whispered promises of power to Svanir through his currently unnamed champion[1] and turned him into the dragon's first known champion, a half-norn half-bear covered in ice known as the Nornbear. Jormag also robbed Svanir's sister, Jora, of her ability to "become the bear." Since Svanir, there has been a cult of norn known as the Sons of Svanir who worship Jormag as the strongest Spirit of the Wild, referring to it as simply Dragon. Over the years, Jormag drew on their powers and hastened his own awakening.

Nice nice nice http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jormag

12. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Thats naise indeed :) i found these pics of what could be Deep Sea Dragons Minion lol.. kinda sick if thats only his minion. Most people state it is..

4686083230_9b9e7272ba.jpg

guildwars2-14-1.jpg

I also started a poll where you can vote for your Favorite Elde dragon in de Lore section.

13. Im Healin You

Im Healin You Member

The size of some of the Elder dragons is just unbelivable! :O (If there going to be as they are in the artwork). Way bigger than anything else i've seen in any other MMO's :D

GW2 is going to be so epic! :D

14. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I can see it now...

"Alpha team, you attack the left hand, Delta to the left dew claw! Omega, keep shooting the right eye, my squad will get the left!"

15. Microasian

Microasian Asian Power

All of the dragons look cool, I haven't looked much into them though.

16. Great Cat

Great Cat Member

Zhaitan because he commands armies of undead.

17. Xander

Xander Well-Known Member

Lol.
    I'll be interested in seeing how the dragons will be portrayed in Guild Wars 2. Dragons have become quite a popular enemy in recent roleplaying games, and so I'm curious to see how Guild Wars 2 will re-invent them.