E3 2015 Bethesda Conference

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

GameSpot did a pretty cool roundup of all the videos from Bethesda's press conference. Battlecry doesn't seem very noteworthy though they haven't shown much yet, Dishonored 2 looks ok but it's just a CGI trailer, Fallout 4 we already have a thread for and Not-Doom-4 looks quite bland and generic. Also, the biggest disappointment of the conference is - at least for me - most definitely the Bethesda.net thingy.

There is not much info about it yet, but I really hate how Bethesda.net sounds. I have nothing against companies coming up with OPTIONAL clients for their products, but if it's going to be mandatory... Steam, Uplay, Origin, GOG Galaxy. It's becoming really crowded. Though GOG Galaxy can't really be compared with all that other filth as it's completely optional (and even if you use it, it still doesn't function like DRM and doesn't scan your PC). I also look favourably upon Steam because it is the oldest and thus most developed of these platforms with the largest amount of features, but I'm not forgetting the fact that it's also a DRM platform and that it is both compulsory and intrusive. Uplay and Origin have no redeeming qualities, they are basically Steam clones with less than half the content. I miss the days when I could launch most PC games without having to download a client for every fucking major company out there.

I don't know what would be worse - if Bethesda eventually started taking its games off Steam and making Bethesda.net the sole platform for their titles (like EA did with Origin) or if they would keep them on Steam along with integrating them into Bethesda.net - so you'd have to use both Steam AND the other crap (like Ubisoft did with Uplay). In any case, it's a stupid idea. Mod support? isn't Fallout Nexus, Steam Workshop and all the other websites enough already? I don't like this concept at all. Kill it with fire.

What does everyone else think?

2. Fuck extra DRM.

I don't want to login into half a million different accounts and then find out that if I close even one of these because they hog my RAM my entire game exits to desktop.

Overall I'm rather disappointed with this year's E3. Bethesda did take the cake, but even their presentation was bleh.

• Battlecry is a TF2 clone, not really interested since I've burned out completely out of this kind of game.
    • Dishonored 2 is... I dunno, it has a CGI trailer that shows exactly 0 actual gameplay and I didn't really like the original Dishonored, spent 23 hours in it and dropped it half way through. Never really felt compelled to use any of the super powers and it was overly complex and oddly specific in terms of missions. Saving a character involves knocking them out and putting him into a very specific trash can among other two dozen cans with 0 indication of which can you need or if you need a can to begin with. If your idea of saving someone differs from that, tough shit, he is dead at the end of the mission. The game had fun lore (Devil exists, but there is no God) and some really pretty designs (The guy who designed HL2's combine worked on this one and it shows), but overall the graphics and physics were a letdown.
    • Doom is actually everything I expected it to be and I hate it. It's a bland, generic shooter, and the worst part it's supposed to be exactly that. Too bad they had to steal all the cool ideas from the Brutal Doom mod, but at this point it's a running gag with Bethesda. I respect that, but it's not something I would want to play. Also fuck multiplayer period, tacked on or not.
    • Fallout 4 looks fun, but it's Fallout in name only now. It's no longer an RPG, it's a run and gun game with some leftover remains of old Fallout. And as is the case with Doom it was supposed to evolve like that. I just hate the direction it took. I've already posted my concerns here. I do love that the game has pretty much everything I missed in New Vegas, ruined cityscape and irradiated stretches of wasteland.
    • Not interested in Elder Scrolls Online anymore. I waited for it for a long time, I've exhausted all of the plot from all of the factions, I enjoyed for what it's worth and then they decided to set me back a dozen times in my project and overhaul everything. I don't want anything to do with it.

3. Full thing if anyone wants to watch:

[YOUTUBE]2KApp699WdE[/YOUTUBE]

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Battlecry reminded me of Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West (with some MOBA elements?), but that's probably because Lead and Gold takes a lot from TF2. I agree with you about Doom, as I said in my previous post it's bland and generic. I was hoping they might try to do something exciting with it like what MachineGames did with Wolfenstein: The New Order, but at the same time I knew that wasn't possible since the new Doom is being made by Id Software. And then you'd also have all those "purists" who'd complain if their Doom game had some semblance of a story or interesting gameplay mechanics. I loved Doom 2 - its level design was brilliant and it was a fun albeit (by today's standards) very repetitive game. Doom 3 wasn't a bad game, but it didn't feel like evolution. The level design felt constricted and the main difference was the update in graphics and more focus on jump scares. Now Not-Doom-4 looks even more linear only with better graphics yet again.