Downloading now... what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'SMITE' started by crimsonghost747, Mar 26, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hey guys and gals. I just decided to try this one out and I'm curious as to what tips / general info you would have for a new player? What to do, what to not do etc.

I have played Heroes of the Storm so I'm familiar with the basics of MOBAs but of course each game has it's own quirks.

2. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

Smite is very unique in itself. I suggest you do the tutorials first, and practice modes. They have very detailed tutorials and a bot mode in the practice mode that you can learn the basics in actual game play. Find a class you feel comfortable with first, and have fun! BTW: The towers hurt. A LOT. don't dive mate xD

3. crimsonghost747

Regular

Thanks. I just played my first real match... didn't like that arena mode so much but the conquest is fun. Still having a hard time to find a god that I actually like but maybe that will happen sooner or later. :p

KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  4. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, stay away from arena for a bit. It's not really where I'd be starting out. The practice modes pay themselves off even though they can be kind of boring, and I definitely recommend taking the time to figure out as much as you can right out of the gate

KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  5. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

Yeah Arena mode is a lot of fun after you have grasped the fundamentals of the game better and have a better understanding of your preferred character/class. Arena is basically a free for all rumble and if you don't know how to operate the controls yet, you'll be slaughtered quite a bit. Try again after you have a bit more experience, and I think you'll find it a bit more fun. :)

6. crimsonghost747

Regular

I actually didn't do half bad in the arena. :D I don't know... I really like the "progress" of taking out a line tower by tower... sometimes you advance, sometimes you need to fall back etc. So pretty much what all MOBAs have.

7. crimsonghost747

Regular

Ohh and one question: How important are the items? I come from playing Heroes of the Storm where we don't have items at all so the whole thing is a bit new to me.
    What I'm mainly interested in is: am I at a big disadvantage if I just leave the auto-buy on?

8. Loopulk

Loopulk New Member

If you're new, keep auto-buy on with the standard set. It's not a bad set but it's not filled with endgame items. Rather, it has some good early game items that are outclasses a little bit later. Once you get better, I suggest finding a good build online (or making your own) and putting those into your own auto-buy build. Once you get even better, you can turn it off and buy items as you see fit depending on the situation. Also, setting your skills to level up automatically to your preference is a good idea too just to save the button pressing.

Also for arena, it's really fun once you become better at the game. Going out and killing enemy gods without being forced into a lane is very fun. Just make sure to watch out for Loki in the arena. He's really good in the arena, but an early kill or two against him can really stall him. Good luck and have fun!

9. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member
    Regular

Start slow and fight easy bots in joust mode. Do that for a while before you start to learn new game modes and start playing real players. Stick with 1 or 2 gods and learn them really well before you start trying others. Join a clan, wanna join mine? Download curse and setup a headset for voice communication. Coordinate with your clan mates and you will pub stomp.

10. crimsonghost747

Regular

Thanks, that's good advice. Where can I set it so that auto-level does the skills in the order I want to? (because yes, I'm already tired of clicking :D)

11. crimsonghost747

Regular

Bots aren't my thing. Besides I find that I'm doing ok even against real players. Not great but ok. :)
    And currently I'm just trying out the different gods to find one that I really enjoy, I still don't think I've really found the one I want.

And thanks for the offer but I think I'll skip the clan thing for the moment. I play very little anyways and I'm not too much into this clan stuff.

12. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the main thing to have in mind is to have fun, I've played different MOBAS and this one has a different taste and way of being played unlike league of legends or dota this is more of like killing your opponents fast rather than farming or I could be wrong, I just started a while ago but I'm enjoying it so far.

13. JusApee

JusApee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, the main thing to know is: enjoy yourself while playing. Do not let toxic players interfere with your fun. I'm pretty new to SMITE as well, so from a beginner to another beginner: just have fun and play easy gods. I don't know what else to tell you.