Does the game have a decent control scheme?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by shadegrilllock, Jun 7, 2015.

1. shadegrilllock

I played this game for a few months about a year ago and got 5 level 80 characters. I really enjoyed how the game was setup and all the stuff to do. Anet really did an excellent job on innovation. The reason I left was because no matter what I tried I couldn't properly control a character. I like to play games with keyboard only and use a mouse every now and then and there's a lot of games that allow for complete control of a character without using a mouse games like ,WOW, RIFT, SWTOR, Archeage. Or if I am forced to use a mouse the game needs to be setup like ESO or Tera which both offer excellent control of your character and abilities.
    Nothing disappoints me more then when I have more agility then my avatar in a mmo.
    With all the innovations that this gaming company has given the mmo world I was very disappointed in how you cannot customize your ui to meet the needs of a complete keyboard player. Nor do they allow full control of a character using a mouse. A lot of this has to do with the very slow keyboard turn rate or even worse they made strafe completely useless. I posted this on GW2 forums but doesn't seem like the players are bothered at all by such things. I even paid for a mmo gaming mouse with 24 buttons but that was just too many buttons and to me a complete waste of money considering anet could fix this with just a few customization changes. For those who will claim they have complete control of their characters then try to dodge roll and turn right 90degrees then use the 7 and 8 ability on the tool bar. If there is a way to setup my control so this can happen then I'd be happy because I can do it in ESO quite easily.

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

Not really sure what to say.. can't ever imagine choosing 'not' to use a mouse when you can.

Nothing has changed with the control scheme so if you weren't happy before then you'll probably feel the same again.

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

What is exactly that WoW, Tera and ESO allow you to do that GW2 doesn´t when it comes to the controls? Just wondering here, I´ve never played Tera or ESO, but I did play WoW extensively until WotLK and I don´t really remember the controls being too different to the way GW2 does them, but then again I never really tried to go full keyboard (I love the mouse).

That said, other than the 90 degrees turn, I wouldn´t have a problem doing your example with just the keyboard the way I have the bindings set up.

Weapon skills 4 and 5 I changed to Q and E. Abilities 7, 8 and 9 I changed to Z, X and C, and healing (5) and elite (0) I normally control them with 2 extra buttons on my mouse, but I have them also bound to 4 and 5, so I have the entire toolbar availably at fingers reach without having to lift my hand from WASD. i do have A and D set to strafe, though, and use the mouse to turn. The dodge roll I have it bound to the middle mouse button (wheel), but I also regularly roll by double tapping the direction I want to roll.

So in your example, if I wanted to keep mouse use to a minimun, I´d double tap the direction I intend to roll (though it would be faster to mid click mouse at the same time I hit that direction), use the mouse to move the 90 degrees, then the thumb to hit Z and X (equivalent to 7 and 8).

Also there´s a mod somewhere (look for combat mod or something like that, though not sure how updated it is) that allows you to turn with the mouse without having to hold the right button if you´re interested, I know there are lots of people that love it, personally I´ve never tried, I´m so used to holding the right mouse button to turn since WoW that I don´t even notice it anymore.

If I wanted to go full keyboard, I´d probably keep my WASD bindings and bind the rest I´d need (turning, swimming up and down and so on) to the keypad and use it with the right hand, but never really tried it because I find the mouse better for that

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm using Ctrl + (1,2,3,4,5) for skills 6,7,8,9,10 so I can quickly fire off utilities without release direction keys (being constantly on the move unless the skill roots me)

I've seen people use the usual strafe keys (Q and E) for heals and elites. Or people using Z,X,C,V for utilities (that seems unintuitive) or they drop few hundred bucks on Razer Naga or some shit like that and just bind the whole skill bar on the mouse,

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

In the examples - WoW, Rift, Swtor & Archeage are in one category -

Tab Target MMO's which you dont really need a mouse to play a tab target MMO because there is no real Aiming, just lock onto a target and spam abilities etc...

TERA & ESO are in the second Category -

Action Combat MMO's which are mouse look locked unless you press a hotkey to free your mouse and require you to Aim at a target and generally kite or actively mitigate with dodging, blocking, interrupting etc...

GW2 is stuck somewhere in the middle, where it's kind of like a soft target, but you still need to actively mitigate with dodging n such but it isnt really a full tab target or action combat mmo... it's like some derelict half breed, with sluggish movement and turning and the mouse feels really slow....

That being said dont get me wrong, i like GW2 it's a solid game, but the way it was made it should at least have an option to have mouse look lock like the addon does, that has since been discontinued and i'm not sure if there is a new one or any other mods that do the same thing, as they were deemed "illegal" by arenanet.

6. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Guild Wars 2 features a standard if not spectacular control scheme, and I love everything about it. It's fluid and easy enough to use for whatever task you're attempting. I'm not going to complain about it.

7. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes. That's really true.