Do you think most games offer enough character customization?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by thisnthat, Jul 1, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I often see complaints about not enough character customization, so I wanted to get some opinions. Do you find that most games offer enough or do you think it's lacking. Maybe some do, some don't.

I don't think "too much" character customization can ever be a thing. Do you? Most people love custom stuff, including their toons.

I'd love to see more (and more modern) hairstyles in WoW for all races.

#1 thisnthat, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do like customizing characters but as far as games are concerned, I just want to start playing as soon as possible. I would just make my character look pretty cool with the weapons and armors I'm going to hunt as I play the game. It's a good idea to put a ton of customization option but I don't think the majority of the players would really use them a lot.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

No, there isn't nearly enough. I see more customization in games like Football Manager where they let you even add your own face. A feature similar to "gameface" would be insanely cool in MMORPGs, IMO it would make the game so much more immersive.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have to day that I don't care much about it :p, but I think in general... The customization of the characters is offered in a way that can be considered broad (at least in my eyes :cool:).

5. thisnthat

Regular

I guess it depends on the game, although I've heard complaints regarding several different ones and even different genres. It seems like people are constantly requesting more customization options.

This is my thinking as well. While game play is definitely first on my list, customization is also important. There are people who like their toons to look just like them and there are those who also want the complete opposite. Either way, a custom look can create a more engaging experience.

Working Buck likes this.
  6. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

Come to think of it, there are some games where I do spend a ton of time just by customizing how my character looks like but there are other games where I just want to start playing it already. Maybe it depends on the person and the game at the same time.

thisnthat likes this.
  7. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not as much as there should be. I tend to like being able to design my own character from top to bottom but obviously many game companies simply want to focus more on the gameplay and story itself. Which isn't a bad thing.

8. thisnthat

Regular

Yeah, I agree that game play is the most important thing. It's nice to have options though. I think that's especially true in a fantasy setting. I imagine that's even more true for people who really get into the role playing aspect of games. It makes sense to want to really feel like you created a new character and not just a cookie cutter toon that looks like everyone else.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would say that there is always some room for increased customization, but I also realize that it is not all that possible to a certian extent. That might be changing soon though with all the advancement, so we shall see.

10. Blader70

Regular

Yup, I see definite improvements with character creation. Hopefully there will be more games with such features on consoles with a good story.

11. thisnthat

Regular

That sounds hopeful. I think a lot of games leave something to be desired. Even though they offer a certain amount, the customization aspect seems to fall to the bottom of the list a lot of times. Older games have this problem the most I think. Even WoW added some options over time, but they could still step it up a bit.

I'm not super picky, but sometimes, I would like to create a toon that is just really different. In my favorite game, WoW, most of my toons look quite similar. I'd like to make just one that really stands out.

12. Blader70

Regular

I feel you own that, helps bring a bit more of originality to your player and helps you become much more creative.

13. thisnthat

Regular

Yes, that's what I want in an MMORPG. The opportunity to be more creative.

Like I said before, I'm sure that's also an important point for people who really get into the role playing aspect of the game. I never really did, since I was usually busy running a guild, but I know people who were all about the role playing. They put lots of time into their back story and stuff, so it would be nice to have unique characters to go with each story. I mean RP in the title of MMORPG does stand for Role Playing after all, ha ha.

14. Blader70

Regular

Totally agree with you there dude, all we can do is hope that in the future a game company will make such a game.

15. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think most of them offer enough character customization. I have no complaint.