Do you play MMORPG on a desktop or on a laptop?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 17, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I was a MMORPG addict, I played it on my desktop PC which had a 40" LCD TV as monitor, as well as 5.1 surrounding sound system. I felt more like at my battlestation when playing a video game. :D

I remember back when I was playing Lineage 2, during castle siege or in a town full of people, it would be quite laggy. While a lot of MMORPGs are not really the most hardware demanding, it certainly can help when your computer is more powerful. Desktop in the same price range is far superior to a laptop, and we can easily upgrade some parts in there such as graphics card, CPU, RAM, hard drive etc.

Come to think about it, I haven't really played a MMORPG on my laptop.

What about you guys?

2. HippyZomby

HippyZomby Member
    Regular

About to gross some people out I am sorry.
    I play on laptop. I love playing on it because if I have to use the restroom I can take it with me. I only get to play when my kids are sleeping so I try not give up any time other than to shower. She does really good and keeps up, I hardly ever lag except when husband is on his games and it rarely shuts me out of the game.

Working Buck and KaseyHopeMartin like this.
  3. KaseyHopeMartin

Regular

Haha that's the way Hippy.
    No, I mean I reckon I like desktop better. But currently I only own a laptop, and I'm about to breakdown and just say screw it and try out SMITE or LOL on my laptop after buying a good mouse for her.

4. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I only play on a laptop because I really don't have the time nor the money to build the PC that I want. Plus, I'd hate to lug it around while living at home or living on campus. Plus, I like being able to move my laptop around and it is easily portable.

5. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me, during my peak of addiction to MMORPG, it would only take seconds... haha! I would just ran to the restroom and ran back so quickly, but of course I'd keep my character at some place safe. Or logout if the location wasn't safe at all.

Desktop is actually cheaper it has the same performance as a laptop. And for the same money, you can build a much more powerful desktop than you can buy a laptop with it.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Currently on a gaming laptop that runs every game I throw at it flawlessly. I decided to buy a laptop simply because I need it for work, I need to carry it around.

7. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Truth, the prices have gone down in that aspect. But the portable aspect of a laptop is still handy for my job and for school work for now. :p Probably after I graduate from college, I'll finally invest in something awesome when I actually have the cash.

8. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

When it comes to gaming, the bigger the screen, the better. I have noticed that one back in 1998 or so when I switched from a 15" screen to a 19" screen when playing Starcraft... lol. Everything just looked ... different.

Since 2008 or 2009, I had upgraded my desktop monitor to a 40" LCD Samsung TV. With 5.1 surrounding sound, it is a cool "battlestation" for me.

Yes, portability is important, and it is great to have. But if I am at home, I'd rather play it on the largest screen I can use. :p

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play on a laptop because I haven't had a desktop in years. I'm starting to miss having a much more powerful computer though so I'm planning on getting one soon and I'll probably enjoy myself a lot more playing there.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I play on a desktop because that's what I have. :p Also since these games are usually very CPU dependent it's usually better to have a good processor like the ones that you can put in a desktop computer.

11. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I only ever play MMORPGs on my desktop computer. The graphics are 100 times better, the sound is booming and the internet is somehow faster. Laptop gamers are pretty casual I think but if you're serious about gaming like I am then you have to have your own set-up. It doesn't matter if you built it or not-- laptops are just not meant for gaming.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I play on a potato of a desktop computer. It's a refurbished office computer, but it can play Vindictus at least. Even though I'm on the absolute lowest settings possible, haha. I'm planning on try to either upgrade this one bit by bit, or try and get a better desktop that can manage games better. Both ways will still cost me a pretty penny though.

13. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just have my laptop, so it's my only option. I prefer desktops with cooling systems though, and I refuse to play anything if I can't keep my laptop cool...learned my lesson from lag.

14. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

We have the same problem as I always just play on a laptop. I haven't bought any cooling systems because I'm lazy but I have a mini fan running behind it if I'm playing haha.

15. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Always on a desktop. I need a proper keyboard + mouse setup to really play an MMO. I could not do that with a laptop.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're right. Keyboard on a laptop just does not feel the same as a regular one. Once I even attached an external keyboard and mouse to my laptop just to have that type of feel and it did feel way better.

17. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I know, right? I once tried to game from a laptop, but the keyboard felt totally off somehow. And without an external mouse, it`s just impossible to game just with the touchpad.

18. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Desktop all the way. Gaming on laptop in general is not something I like, but when I have no choice, it can be fun. But if I have the choice, then a PC battlestation is the best place to game.

19. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

My buddy used to pvp in wow with a trackpad...he hit duelist in season 2 with it. On rogue. It was hilarious, he was so bad at moving in so many situations but he still was a beast

20. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

yeah. I guess you can get used to it if you use it long enough but chances are if you don't like it at the start you can't force yourself into it regardless of how much time you spend getting used to it. I have grown used to the touchpads on my older laptops so I don't mind as much but I find the touchpads on newer laptops are a little less comfortable for me for some reason even if they are supposedly more advanced. Ultimately though you're right I think mouse and keyboard really is the best way to go.