Do you like / use memes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by fuumarumota, Feb 2, 2016.

1. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Just as the subject says. Do you use them / like them?

I personally don't use them much, but I like some. For example the archaic rap dude was very funny in my opinion. Also liked the short derp / derpina comics.

2. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

The funny ones are great, but it's like anything...if you overuse it, it becomes cliche and unfresh. Fruits go bad after they were ripe, ya feel me?

3. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends. The "memes" that go round all the time on Tumblr I find quite funny. Most recently, the "tag yourself" one.

4. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I find some memes to be quite funny. Personally, I don't use them or make them though. I just like seeing them in my newsfeed or in forums like this one. I like memes that are about politics or animals, lol.

That being said, some memes can be quite insulting as well. And I don't like it when memes demean a person or humiliate them so much.

5. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member
    Regular

I spend so much of my free time on reddit a few times I think in memes without realising it. Then I mentally kick myself for that stupid thought. As for actually using it... no. I always say to myself, if i start using these in my every day language I really have gone off to the deep end.

PS: Thinking in memes can make you seem like a mad person, laughing to yourself all the time.

6. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

They are definitely a good way to bring joy to online conversations and have a lot of usage. I have a group in WhatsApp with all my friends and hardly there is a day when someone doesn't post a meme which fits in the situation.

7. fuumarumota

Regular

This ^.

I knew I wasn't the only one that "thought in memes". They're so much fun and are applicable to various aspects of the daily life.

8. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't really use memes but I like them because they are funny but if the memes get out of control I get irritated and I will blacklist them on my twitter and Tumblr.

9. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

Most of the ones I see are just garbage to be honest. People slapping stupid comments on unrelated images and passing them off as intelligent or amusing content. They are fine if done well, but social media is saturated with rubbish memes that do nothing but waste bandwidth and detract from our collective IQ.

10. fuumarumota

Regular

Yeah, it's like anything in life really. If done wrong, the results are ridiculous, embarassing and makes you think anything similar is crap, like bad sarcasm or bad puns.

Nytegeek likes this.
  11. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eh I'm not so obsessed with memes. I like it if they're funny and I just see them on facebook but I don't go out and look for them in 9gag or 4chan or reddit. I've had a bit too much tv series, movies and whatever the kids are into these days. It's hard to keep track of all the new things popping up everywhere.

12. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think memes are hilarious, but they do get old pretty quickly. Usually, it's always the same memes circulating and nothing new comes into light.

13. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

They're funny to look at when they pop up but I hate when they're repeated to death because then it becomes annoying.

14. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't go looking for memes, but on social media and various forums, you're bound to run into some. Like it's already been said, some are great, some not so. I don't spend my time thinking about them either way, although they're can be good for a quick laugh from time to time.

15. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Member
    Regular

It is a battle between Mexican food and Asian food. I would have to say Mexican food is my favorite. And it is a good thing since I live in Texas. Long live salsa, chips, and cheese enchiladas!

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like some of the lesser known ones and I don't use them a lot because I think it's kind of cringey when they are overly used especially in very popular sites where most people don't even get the inside joke nature of these creations. However I don't have anything against those that do use them. It's just my personal taste.

17. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Member
    Regular

I don't use meme's even though I do think they are quite cute. And I don't use Tumbler.

18. Nytegeek

Regular

What exactly does this have to do with the memes that this topic is about? Maybe you should pay attention to what topic you are in instead of being so concerned about cranking posts out that you put your replies in the wrong place.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Memes are fun but because they get used so much they start to get boring. They're definitely really funny when they first come out and people start using them inovatively.

20. Nytegeek

Regular

They can be done in original and innovative ways, but usually they aren't. The minion memes are a prime example. People just put whatever saying they want on a picture of a minion (from the movies "Despicable Me" & "Minions") and share it. It is usually crap that has nothing to do with Minions and often something contrary to what minions are about.