Do You Like The No Monthly Fee For Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Yard' started by CookieMonster, Dec 23, 2011.

1. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Active Member

I noticed that there is not going to be a monthly fee for Guild Wars 2.
    Does this mean you will like the game more?
    I think I will like the game allot more due to the fact their is only 1 cost the cost for the first copy you buy. :)

2. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

I believe its one of the games major strengths. It being free somewhat guarantee's that GW2 wont fail solely due to that along with them guaranteeing a finished product. Since all you need is the box purchased it will attract a lot more people and it'll keep people coming back to the game even if they take a break. No subscription required. Can you say awesome!?

3. Raiyoku

Raiyoku Member

Yes its so much better to save up for it and buy it all at once. I hate the thought of constantly paying for it just to play, its too much hassle. The first time I bought GW, I played it for a week then stopped for 2 years because the computer I was using at that time was super slow and it got frustrating. Then i got myself a new pc and tried it again one day because I was bored and now Im hooked. Needless to say that I became a loyal customer if you want to put it that way. If subscription was required, then I probably wouldn't have bothered trying it again. Thank you ArenaNet!

4. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I could write a book on how much of an evil scam F2P games are. I was actually surprised that Arenanet were the only ones to do the B2P system. Everyone else that had B2P tried to stick a monthly fee on it too (Tabula Rasa, Hellgate London), and look where they are now...
    I also love the extra things you can buy after, coz you dont really need em. They're designed to solely be convenience, unlike other F2Ps. The way the other's games are designed, all those 'conveniences' become 'needed'.

5. Tjernstrom

Tjernstrom Member

I love it, you kinda force yourself to play when you pay a monthly fee. Paying for cosmetics and expansions is a much better system.

Monthly fees is more likely to break games than to make money, but the worst one is paying for power.

I remembered playing Runes of Magic a pretty fun wowclone, but when you reacted maxlvl /50 or somthing/ if you didn't bring out the credit card you just plain sucked. It wasn't even possible to farm the lowest dungeon to get decent equipment.

/rant

1 person likes this.
  6. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

I agree!! I love not having a subscription fee. Automatically sold to the game.
    I tried ROM for 5 minutes.. uninstall lol. Ingame shops suck too, but if its purely cosmetic & expansions then its perfectly fine.

7. channel

channel New Member

I love the b2p business plan, i'll be supporting them thru cosmetic stuff from their cash shop.

8. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

Goodbye subscription fee and never come back. Thanks!

9. CookieMonster

CookieMonster Active Member

Yes your welcome I'm glad I could share some exciting news with everyone here. I will look for more exciting news and post about them when I can. :D

10. Vercinger

Vercinger Member

If this game had a monthly fee, I would certainly not be interested at all. The problem for me is that I can't play games for a long time, I either play intensively for a few weeks and then take a break for a few months, or I play just a few hours a week. In either case, I'd constantly regret spending money on the subscription fee, as I'm fairly poor and can't afford to waste that money.

Also, Free-to-Play but Pay-to-Win games are almost as bad. Or at least some of them are. Others are kind of tolerable. But there is one F2P game I've encountered that doesn't offer pay-to-win advantages, League of Legends. It makes money entirely off of convenience and cosmetic items. And yet it's apparently financially successful. Makes me wonder why they're the only ones who use that model.

My guess on why it works is player satisfaction - in Pay-to-Win games, most people hate the developers for the unbalanced game and refuse to buy anything. Whereas in a true F2P game, many players would buy cosmetic items just to support the developers. At least that's what I do.

11. Majestic

Majestic Boo

Same goes for me. i have played a lot of games with a subscription fee but at this point i am no longer interested in any game that has one and same goes for F2P games that have cash shops with a bunch of ridiculous items and buggy game play with 1 patch every year. The no subscription fee & the no pay to win cash shop certainly attracts me a lot more.

12. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

Definitively agree with the bolded.

13. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

The system worked great for Guild wars and i think it will work even better in GW2 :cool:

I rather pay initial 60 € and after that 30-60€ for the expansions every (maybe) 1 to 2 years.

14. lolwut

lolwut Well-Known Member

judging by all the responses, they are certainly doing the right thing without the subscription fee. Also a lot of games are now going f2p as well such as aion, age of conan, and others. Looks like subscription fee's ain't working.

15. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

Definitively! It's the main attraction.

1 person likes this.
  16. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we get something like the following:

B2P with the initial box cost fairly reasonable but not bargain priced.

Free content updates - nothing too extensive but something that swaps out DEs and keeps the world updated, WvWvW map changes, new structured PVP maps, etc. Again we can't expect tons of free content but some stuff that makes the world feel alive would be good. There are a few things they've talked about implementing after live that I expect might be free such as housing and mounts (though having us buy fancy houses or fancy mounts in the cash shop would be just fine).

Paid content updates - hopefully they split these up a bit so that we don't have to wait a full year for new stuff. Stuff like Personal Story Chapters and Dungeons.

Paid expansions - whole new lands, new levels, maybe new races. Not sure I expect them to add new professions the ones they have now cover a lot of different play styles. I believe they have said they will require you to own the base game in order for the expansions to work which is different than how GW1 worked.

17. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

Free stuff i want :

updates (duh), PvP maps, Dungeon extensions, WvWvW stuff and Holiday stuf and Events !

Paid stuff i want:

Cool unigue clothes for holidays, Extra Character slots, Double exp booster for a day or week.

18. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

I would rather have it so we pay for just expansions and they come with the content but that could work too, in that way though I can see content updates every few months making it just as much as 15$ a month if you want the content.

19. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

yes

20. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

srlsly tho... i will be buying optional content like its going out of style.

Much better than 15 bucks for jack crap.