Do you like the games more than the books?

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by Ishmael, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think while the games are cool for the gameplay aspect, the stories are miles better in the books. But what do you think? Which one's the best experience?

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I like this thread, though I wouldn't be surprised if we already had one like it... but it doesn't matter at all, because if we do then it's probably lurking around in a dark part of the forum that has not been visited for years. :p

Personally I think it's hard to compare the two since they are completely different forms of media. As you said, the plot is much better in the books; this is natural since with text we can have many pages for exposition of the story, e.g. through detailed descriptions that jump from past, present to future, which allows novels to really expand on the background of each character and event, but would simply not work in a game (imagine having to play or watch so many flashbacks). I guess that could actually be the key to why books are such a powerful medium and can get across more detail than an image or film... that and having the reader's full attention. In a game it is very much up to the player if he or she wants the full experience (whether they choose to explore and notice all the little details crafted by the developers), but when you're reading a book then you can only follow the paths that the author set for you, thus the reader gets exactly what the writer wanted him/her to receive - no more and no less, but from there things can still be interpreted differently if left ambiguous enough.

On the other hand, I obviously really like the games as well. It's not surprising at all that many of the things which happened in the books were either heavily altered or removed entirely from the story in order to make it feasible for the kind of experiences 4A Games wanted to create. The fact that they've managed to adapt a book into a first-person shooter video game series (something quite rare) whilst retaining the same key themes, atmosphere and goal at the core is amazing. Even if the games seem less "deep" in comparison with the literature, it is still really cool seeing how they transfer a book's ideas into game form. Though I gotta admit that I'm really looking forward to Metro 2035 as it is something even less common; books set in the same universe as video game franchises have become quite ubiquitous, but a direct adaptation of a game into novel form is something much less widespread or popular so it's going to be interesting to see how Glukhovsky handled it (it's already out, but I am waiting for the Polish translation).

EDIT: I'm wondering if we should move this thread to the Books & Comics section. It is also about Last Light, so it can stay here no problem, but it would always be nice to have a few more active discussions in that part of the forum considering how recently we formed it. What do you think, armando?

#2 Bamul, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  3. Ishmael

Regular

I think that Metro as a game should be about a different story from the books, so that we have two medium that can coexist and make a bigger universe out of the entire Metro series. The fact that they chose in the games to take an approach similar but just a little different in terms of storytelling is a little disappoiting. The Metro universe is big enough for two stories, hell even three. So imagine a more personal story in the videogames, that plays pretty much like the games do right now, but different and more open in order to emphasize the player's role, much like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games where you can go literally everywhere and doing things your way. That way it's like you are actually a character living and breathing inside the Metro's universe, making decisions and changing things as you see fit, maybe choosing which side you want among the many factions there are in Metro. That would be cool I think.

I think this section is fine, well I chose it so that's why it's here. But if an admin doesn't agree I don't mind at all.

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Well, it is already much larger than that, since we have over 50 different stories in the Universe of Metro 2033 series alone. :p

Aye, that'd be great. Would be the best of both worlds - taking all the nicest elements from both game series.

Ok. :)

5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that something you have to consider is the fact that you can pack more nuances and information into a book. What takes a few sentences to explain in the books could take a lot longer in the actual game. Plus, it's hard to put all the content from a book into a game because most people don't want a 100+ hour game. They want to spend a dozen or two hours on a game and move on.

6. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

To be honest, I can appreciate the books and the games equally without dinging the games for containing less content or "missing" content. I'm more of a gamer myself, and I rarely find the time to read, compared to how much time I take to play games instead. :p

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's something that we can't really compare. While the books have a detailed, big story you can't really transfer that into a game. It'd get boring really quick, so they have t o strip it down.

8. Ishmael

Regular

Yes but I'm also kind of a crazy person. I like to look at the details a lot both in videogames and when reading a book. So the more stuff you can cram into a game, if even remotely interesting, the better for me. I like games where the developer expects that you go out of your way to check things out of the main path, and find all sorts of things. Even in linear games. Metro kind of does that already, but there's always room for more.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I understand where you're coming from, I love that aspect of the game as well. It's like how I first read the books of Harry Potter before watching the movies and I was really disappointed by the lack of details, but it's something that's to be expected.

10. Stalker Bar

Stalker Bar Well-Known Member

I like last light but it's nowhere near anywhere to the 2034 novel, but 2035 WILL be interesting. :)

To answer it, I prefer the 2034 story.

#10 Stalker Bar, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  11. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

Love the games to death. I love the books more.

I can't get enough of 2033 and 2034. I just wish the other books written in the Metro universe were in English.

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I wonder what yous will think of 2035 when it finally gets an English translation - it got a pretty mixed reception from Polish and Russian fans. I personally liked it, but I understand absolutely why some people dislike it so much and agree with some of their criticisms.

13. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

the games introduce more supernatural and mysticism theme than the novel "nothing is scarier" narrative approach. in the games there is "ghost"/phantom, the shit great door, river of fate, and especially the darkness anomaly, a very creepy material should metro goin open world ala stalker. i also like the games more depressing world but, getting more optimistic as you go.

14. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love both the books and the games. But if I had to choose only one or the other? I'd have to go with the games, just for Metro 2033. I've played that game 15 or so times. It is a masterpiece, and I know every hidden corner of the levels.

2035 is now translated, in case someone didn't know :) Fascinating how the author took Last Light as canon.

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

To be fair he did write Last Light's story, so it's not that surprising. :p

Nice to see you on the forum btw. :)

16. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ah, that explains why he liked it :)

I may hang around a bit more, I've been neglectful of my fellow rangers.

17. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think I like games I bit better due to you actually being able to experience it yourself.

18. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Blader70 did you get my PM? If not then well find another way to communicate. I can't seem to post links on this forum, so it'll make things a bit complicated. Please reply to this, it is important

19. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

20. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think games are better than the books. I don't read games because I don't think there is any fun reading about a game instead of playing it.

So I'd choose a game over the book