Do you feel that by learning more you get less religious?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Elgiz, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Elgiz

Elgiz Member
    Regular

From my own experience I can say that by learning sciences, I have become less religious. I have researched this topic and learned that many people are in the same boat as me. Does this fact mean that science contradicts religion? While science is an area which can be falsified, religious knowledge systems can not. Do you think the more you learn, the less religious you become?

2. acemorgp001

acemorgp001 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have an opposite experience. Probably because I know that with knowledge comes piety, two gifts of the holy spirit among the other five. But we have to take the context of knowledge, science included, in the light of arriving at the truth or shedding light to our ignorance. And the truth emanates from someone actually who is God, the creator of all that is seen and unseen. And if science deals with only the things that we see, it is only one part of the picture. Metaphysics and other subjects that cannot be analyzed under the microscope is part of our knowledge. In both cases, they all come from the creator and knowing these things ought to lead us to being closer to our creator, thus becoming more pious or holy the more we become learned.

3. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not necessary. Atheism has been as dumb as religion. Considering how atheism supported LGBT and feminism. It shows it can be weakest link of humans. So goes to show that being religious is lot better than this.

4. NerdIndeed

NerdIndeed Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a roman catholic, and I believe that a God exists. However, there are times where I question myself if it is indeed true. I'm confused, what the hell do I know? All I know is the more we learn, the more we earn. Peace!

5. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depends what you mean by religion. If you mean the belief in God, then no, science does not diminish that faith much. For instance, look at dinosaurs. I can not tell you how many arguments I've seen occur on "which dinosaurs had feathers and didn't", which more often than not simply leads to insults, similar to religion vs atheist arguments online. We have a hard time studying some things of the past that are somewhat tangible and determining what happened in its entirety. When it comes to God and the supernatural, we start hitting a different ball park. The same methods we use to analyze the physical world, will most likely not apply.
    I think when it comes to God, learning about actually spiritually, the supernatural and its practices is a much better method. This includes, prayer, meditation and things of that nature.

6. NerdIndeed

Regular

The problem with a debate between an atheist and someone who believes in God is the fact that someone believes in something and the other doesn't. There's a disconnect between the two and both will fail to come up to an agreement no matter what.

7. Blader70

Regular

Usually it would be best to go with the whole "agree to disagree"

8. NerdIndeed

Regular

Yes, a debate would be pointless, and it will only end up with that statement.

9. Blader70

Regular

Yup, and usually the other side will think they have one if someone says that.

10. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am a health scientist but this has not moved me away from Religion.

11. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

No it is ones decision to believe in something, you can get to here alot of theories and beliefs but you choose what to believe. People study since it is a requirement to get a good job and earn a good salary.

12. Lewis Ngata

Lewis Ngata Active Member
    Regular

I actually feel that the opposite is true. The more I learn in life, the more I realize that I need God in my life. I have learnt so much in terms of relationships, work, different cultures, different religions, law, the history of the world, or rather of different jurisdictions, interactions with people (within and without my country), sexuality, mythology, philosophy and the like. All of these aspects of knowledge have shone a light on the fact that everything on earth is vanity and that no matter how much we believe in the things we practice, the only true way to be happy is by seeking God and by reading and internalizing his scriptures. Without this, we end up being hateful, proud and vicious creatures who care only about themselves and are wrapped up in our desires and lust. Religion is a personal thing though and I don't feel like the experience is the same for everyone nor should it be.