Do you feel like you are wasting time playing games?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by llllllllllllllllllll, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jamesbonner

jamesbonner Active Member
    Regular

well sometimes yes ! especially when you have something you have to do but you can't because you can't stop playing lol in those moments I really feel like I'm wasting my time and becoming addicted !

2. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really... games are and should be considered a pastime. If you can monetize this specific pastime, like people on Twitch do, why not? :D

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted, keep this in mind if you ask yourself this question again. :p

4. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Occasionally, I have to agree. Particularly when, after rep-grinding for gear, spending weeks trying to get a certain piece of gear....just to have something newer handed to me during a raid the first trip through. Then, especially then, do I feel like I have wasted my time.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nope, I need a way to unwind and relax myself after dealing with a stressful day. Plus I would rather waste my time doing something I'm having fun with and can make me feel better than something that is just going to give me stress and have me become irritable throughout the day. I just make sure to keep my gaming under a certain amount of time so I can have my fill and not go overboard.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depends. I could use that time to learn more stuff but at the same time I spend more than enough time thinking as it is. Sometimes I need to just shut my brain off and unwind. Games that don't require much thought are a good source for that.

7. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes, yeah. I don't get that much time to play anyway so I don't get this feeling too often. But on certain weekends I can easily lose hours playing a game and that kinda makes me feel guilty. No idea why.

8. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes, yes, I do feel like that. Then I just remember that I've got a life off of the games, and it's not like I'm turning anything down to play video games- I keep a nice little balance between the two and games are just for my entertainment. And if I'm happy with it as entertainment, I don't see a problem.

9. Maelalove

Regular

I wouldn't, especially if you don't usually have time. I think you feel guilty because you think you "could be doing something else," but you also have to remember that time to relax and just be yourself is good too.

10. Maelalove

Regular

That's true, and when you do finally get out it's almost torture, because your body is struggling so badly that you just want to go back home and go back to what you're comfortable with. Once you realize that it's actually really what your body wants, though, I'd like to say it gets easier.

11. d'arakh

Regular

Yeah and that's really hard for me. Just last year I was in college full time and all did all day was study and play video games. Sometimes a lot more of the latter. I guess now every time I sit down to play I feel like I should study or something. I think it'll take me a while to adjust that I've earned my time to play.

Maelalove likes this.
  12. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Kind of, but all we do is waste time till we die anyway.

13. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well stated. What truly defines a good use or waste of time, anyway? It's limited in quantity and you can't get it back-- once something is gone, it's wasted, in my eyes.

14. Maelalove

Regular

Oh I know that feeling. It'll get better :] Just takes a little adjustment getting used to having more free time when you're out of school. I was like that for a while, but even without the video games I just felt like I was wasting my time to the point I got a second job just for the hell of it. Then that became too much and eventually I settled down.

15. d'arakh

Regular

Sounds like you went a little extreme to 'fix' that problem. I probably won't get a second job since I enjoy my job so much, but yeah, there'll definitely have to be some adjustment period. Maybe I'll pick up a hobby or something.

16. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I used to play games nonstop, like losing sleep just to finish one mission. Then it leads to me thinking, "Oh, I'll just finish this mission then sleep after." Right, that never happens because I end up sleeping in the morning after finishing several more missions or levels.

Did I feel like I wasted my time? Not really since back then I only play during summer vacation. Did I feel like I could have done something more than playing games? Not really since I enjoyed and I think enjoyed time isn't wasted time.

For others, they would say, yes, we've wasted our time on games. But as I've said, when you enjoy something, it's time well-spent. Just, you know, not on vices and illegal stuff.;p

17. midorisour

midorisour Active Member
    Regular

I don't believe that playing games is a waste of time. I mean its just something you do to pass the time or to relax. Other people might pass the time by watching tv, reading, doing crafts, fishing etc.

As long as you aren't neglecting important things like school/work, household chores, then whatever you want to do in your free time is fair game.

18. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends! If I'm purposely putting something off just to play a game, then I suppose technically, I am. But at the same time, if I enjoy it, I don't really see it as a waste of time.

19. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member
    Regular

I feel like I'd only be wasting my time if I never enjoyed the game. On the other hand, if I find out I've spent 9 hours straight on one game, I think I'd feel the same.

20. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes, but since it's my way of draining stress and relaxing, I think to my self "f**ck it!!" I deserve this!