Do you feel like you are wasting time playing games?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by llllllllllllllllllll, Feb 6, 2014.

1. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm pretty sure at one point in our life people close to us such as our parents felt that spending hours in front of the computer or console is such a waste of time and they feel that the time spent on gaming should have been used to do something more productive. So as the title says, do you feel like you are wasting time playing games?

If you ask me, not at all. It depends on what you actually think are the things you have supposedly done instead of gaming. If you prioritized gaming over important stuff like work/studies, household chores, and other responsibilities you might have then it is indeed a waste of time. I have to admit that I used to be a bum when I was a teenager and just play games all day long, but as I grow older I learned to set my priorities right and only play games after all the important things are done, even if it means not playing games in a day during busy schedules. But if I were to exchange other stuff like socializing for gaming then no, it's not a waste of time for me. As an MMO gamer I still get to socialize with other people online and actually became close friends with others, especially my guildmates. :D

2. kellykr09

kellykr09 Active Member

Honestly, sometimes I do feel like I'm wasting time, but I never let it get in the way of my job or studies. The again, I can spend hours playing a game and I won't feel like I wasted any time at all. I usually play games with a goal in mind. I like MMORPG games because it's like I belong to this second life. I play Mabinogi and it's a game where I can do whatever I want to do. I choose the skills and talents and the quests. I socialize with others and take my time in the market.

People do tend to see it as a waste of time, but I think it's because they can't relate to it or they haven't been able to have the full experience of playing an MMO game. I didn't take games as seriously before, but now I do. I did my research and I set out to do what I wanted. I still do what I need to do in the real world. It hasn't stopped me from graduating or building up my career.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Reality check: ALL THINGS are a waste of time. It's just that the definition of "waste" is dependent on whether you benefited from it in one way or another.

People play games primarily to pass time and have fun while doing it. It's a waste of time IF you had something else in mind like you should be doing work instead or you should be doing the chores instead, etc.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Only when I play MMO's because their is no end game you can play them until you had enough or they close the servers.

5. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Gaming is a hobby, an interest that people like to do. It's no different than people playing cards, singing at the karaoke, or people going for sports. If they think it's a waste of time then so is playing a game of chess, or golfing. Both of these do nothing beneficial to people. Hobbies are only wasting time when we start to neglect other obligations.

6. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you do something that you really like, it is never a waste of your time in my opinion. And there are a lot of games out there that can teach you a lot about different things in life, so games are highly educational as well.

7. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

What is the definition of a waste of time? If I spend a couple of hours playing a computer game and someone else spends the same amount of time sitting in front of the TV, why is one a waste of time and the other not? If it is a beautiful day outside and I spend it sitting in front of the computer gaming, then I give myself a bad time for wasting my day.
    Thanks for mentioning sports - playing is productive time, watching is a waste of time in my opinion. Usually the biggest complainers about gamers wasting time are those that waste it themselves.

8. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

Agree with a few others. Gaming is definitely a hobby and how can a hobby be a waste of time if you truly enjoy it. If gaming makes you happy, what is the problem with it (unless it becomes addictive obviously)?

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me it's the other way around. I play games to waste time. Sometimes I have too much time and not much to do, so I play games. And they are not a complete waste of time either, you will learn things from games. Not THAT much, but I noticed especially that my level of English greatly improved due to games. (English is not my first language)

10. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Sometimes yes. Mostly if I go overboard with them! Too much time and then yes.

11. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member
    Regular

/thread

12. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Sometimes games start being a grind so its not all sunshine and roses :D

13. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really depends on how much time I am putting into gaming and what else I am doing with my life. Currently, I feel like I am wasting my life playing video games when I truly need to get out of the house and get some exercise. It has started to wear on me and is really putting me into a depression constantly being in the house.

14. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

Sometimes I really do, and that's when I shut my computer off for a couple of days.

15. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I thought I might be the only person that does this, ha ha. I will purposely shut my computer off for days at a time to avoid wasting time. I start getting cabin fever after awhile.

16. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

No you are totally not the only one! I get so into gaming, that I really shut myself off from the world, and then after a while you have to step back and kind of open your eyes to how unhealthy it is to do that. I like gaming, but I don't want to waste my life, so I have to limit myself. It's hard to not get carried away!

17. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

I know what you mean. Once you stop exercising and are just okay gaming all day, it is really a slippery slope. And everyday it becomes harder to motivate yourself to just get up and get out of the house. It is very important though I know that it is.

18. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

I totally agree, I think that after a while the game isn't really fun anymore and it becomes more like a job that you have to do. It sometimes seems like a lot of work, and then I am usually over it.

19. sanders89

sanders89 Active Member

I kind of agree with you, but if the hobby is somewhat unhealthy like gaming or watching TV, and it just involves sitting and staring at a screen all day, then I think that it is important to take a break and get some fresh air. And limit your gaming time.

20. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

Unfortunately, that's why i've ended up giving up on games over time now i'm older. Although another reason is because I don't have anywhere near as much time to do so anymore...

If I had more time, then I definitely wouldn't think i'd be wasting my time as it's a way of relaxing. But to play a game now, I feel like i've got to have about 3 hours to play in one go or i'd feel as if I wasn't completing things properly.