Quantcast

Do you consider point and click games as RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Mar 8, 2014.

1. chriswriter

chriswriter Member Regular

No I do not consider Point and Clicks to be RPG'S. While in some there is an alternative world to explore and a lifestyle to undertake, the game play is totally different. The two cannot be compared.

2. chriswriter

chriswriter Member Regular

No, they certainly are not RPG'S.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Technically they are RPGs since you play a character and everything revolves around a story, but I just simply hate point and click games. They're really, really boring - I don't enjoy playing them.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

I don´t think the input mechanism determines if it is an RPG or not. I would say some of the earlier point-n-click games had much more RP than many current RPGs, especially MMORPGs. Some of the earlier games like Kings Quest and Myst you felt totally immersed in your character ( RP ) while games like Diablo you are just a spinning ball of axes..

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

Well, they are pretty slow and it does take the immersion away if all you are doing is clicking at a screen, rather than moving your character around to interact with the game world.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

Point and click isn't a genre to begin with. It is a mechanic, or a mechanism rather. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether it is an RPG. The question is ridiculous.

7. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Point and click adventure games are not RPGs, unless they have some of the basic RPG elements (leveling, stats, equipment, etc). Simple as that. Don't get confused simply because RPG means literally "Role-Playing Game". Pretty much every videogame places us in the role of a character, but that doesn't mean they're an RPG. They're an RPG when they have leveling, stats, equipment, etc, etc. That's why when a shooter like Borderlands has leveling, weapon stats, equipment, skill trees and such it is considered an shooter/RPG hybrid.

8. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I consider any game with character progression and roleplaying an RPG.

9. Nytegeek

You are absolutely 100% wrong. An RPG isn't defined by game mechanics at all.

10. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

If they contain typical RPG elements, then yes. Otherwise no.

11. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

I would. I mean RPG stands for Role Playing Game and in many point and click games you are putting yourself in the role of that character so it technically does count.

12. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

In my mind, point and click games are certainly not classed as rpgs. Point and click are adventure games and are in there own genre all together. Earlier, there was a boom in these types of games. I remember playing all the Monkey Island games, and Day of the Tentacle. Theres also that star wars point and click game as well. Nowadays, although there still are some being made, they simply don't make them as much anymore. The gamers are more geared towards games that have much more in them now rather than just adventuring.

13. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion they are not RPG games since most of RPG consist of at least decent story line and various user actions and tasks to be completed whilst these point and click games are just a waste of time and lack the ability to get the gamer's interest.

14. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

So a game doesn´t belong to a genre simply because you think it odes not get a players interest. I have played dozens of RPGs, from some of the biggest developers that were definitely RPGs, but that failed to get my attention.

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I think so as long as there are rpg elements put in by the developers. Some point and click games are plain and I guess those wouldn't be considered rpg games by a longshot but definitely there are some who are able to incorporate elements of this genre well enough to the point and click genre that it could technically be considered as part of it.

16. Nytegeek

This question is just stupid. Point to click is just an interface, not a genre.

17. vash

vash Well-Known Member Regular

Correct me if I am wrong... in my opinion, "point and click" is just one of the interfaces used in video games. It does not determine the category of the video game. So yes, a point and click game can be a RPG or MMORPG depends on what the game is about. If you are playing a character go through some kind of progressing storyline, then it can be a RPG regardless how the control interface of the game is.

18. Nytegeek

@vash No, you are right. It is just a user interface, not a genre. A point and click game could be anything. Some people just don't take them seriously and discount them based entirely on the interface.

19. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member Regular

Really, a point and click game can be a good RPG. As long as it has a proper story, character and a good enough setting then in my opinion it counts as an RPG. Clicking and pointing doesn't hinder the game much.

20. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, I think as long as they have other characteristics of RPG games, they are considered that way.