Do you build structures/cover in combat ?

Discussion in 'Fortnite Battle Royale' started by razer, Feb 10, 2018.

1. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Despite this being a common strategy, I didn't at first, since I'm mostly a PUBG player and there is no building mechanic there. However, while still learning to play I got in combat with a team that was constantly building cover in the middle of the battle, and it was working, since I depleted all my RPG ammo trying to destroy their cover, after which they pwned me. I then started to do this myself.

2. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with you there but I am still not really all that used to it. It was a bit of a foreign concept but soon enough you learn it is pretty necessary.

3. serbog

serbog Active Member
    Regular

Well that is the base mechanic in the game, and what makes it different than PUBG. You can't be good at the game if you don't build any cover or structures. I have a reflex now to panic build when someone shoots at me and I don't know where he is shooting and it's been helping me win a lot of fights I would have lost without the buildings.

4. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, but I assumed the structures would have to be strategically built before the combat starts. Nope, it turns out that everyone just frantically builds walls and stairs in the middle of combat.

5. kingcool52

kingcool52 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I didn't really do it at first but I've learnt to start building straight away when I get into a battle with players. I have become a much better player by doing this because it just gives you a massive advantage over someone who decides to not build structures to defend themselves. If you get shot at, building walls quickly can also give you time to react and create something between you and the attacker.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh yeah any sort of ideas about strategic building goes out the window pretty quickly, which is kind of funny but it makes sense. It would be interesting to see it the other way, though.

7. kingcool52

Regular

Yeah, the time for strategic building comes when you get to the last few circles and there are only a few players left. The strategic building is basically you just trying to build a base and get height so that you have the advantage over the other players.

Most of the time, before that, the only building that you will require is just building walls and stairs when you come across other players that you need to fight.

8. akjangra

akjangra Member
    Regular

It was a very steep learning curve for me, and everyone else I imagine. But it's one of THE FEW things that make it fundamentally different from PUBG and other similar games. Though I admit, I'm still not that used to it. Whenever I try to build something once I get into a fight, I end up getting killed MOST of the times.

9. kingcool52

Regular

It might actually be a good thing for you if you haven't got used to it because I keep forgetting that we cannot build in other games lol. I end up trying to press circle and trying to build stairs to get to a higher point and remember that I can't do that. :D

You will get a lot better, just keep building in game and eventually you will learn how to do it well. The best thing to do when you get into a fight is to spam walls between you and the enemy then build stairs to get the height advantage on them.

10. walter12

walter12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree, it makes it stand out from the rest of PUBG

11. kingcool52

Regular

It definitely makes it a unique game especially considering how developers tried to use the Battle Royale idea for a lot of their games. I believe even Rockstar added a Battle Royale style game mode to Grand Theft Auto Online. But Epic Games did better and just blew everyone away with Fortnite because they didn't just try to copy the Battle Royale idea but made it unique and added building to the game which made it a lot more fun and different.

12. akjangra

akjangra Member
    Regular

Exactly, the same thing happened to me the first time I player Fortnite continuously for hours, and then went to some other games :p

I plan on playing a lot more once I'm free of this exam I'm preparing for. I'll surely get better :D

13. killamch89

killamch89 Well-Known Member
    Regular

In Fortnite, building cover to protect yourself is a crucial skill to master. I cannot begin to tell you how many times it has saved me from certain doom. Another interesting use of building covers in Fortnite is to break your fall when you jump/accidentally fall from extremely high places. Somebody once used the impulse grenade and launched me off a cliff but I had the presence of mind to build structure underneath my feet just before hitting the ground and I survived.