Do we need an option to select the map?

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by crimsonghost747, Apr 28, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I know this is something that divides the players. Some of us want the option to at least uncheck a map or two from the rotation, while others think that the random map is necessary to keep the balance in the game.

I wouldn't mind a system where we can select 1-2 maps which we won't be playing in. Simply because there might be a map that you really don't like so it would be great to get that out of the rotation to stop the "ohh not this map again" feeling.

What do you guys think?

2. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It probably should be an option. I personally like the rotating maps. Even the ones I'm not too big on, I like the challenge of playing those maps. They probably just don't want to give any players the advantage by having all maps available.

3. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I actually quite like the random map system. It keeps gameplay more fresh than playing the same map over and over again.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know what would be the best for the game in general but just based on personal taste I do agree that I wish sometimes I could just select a map because when I get a map I'm tired of I feel a bit disappointed but yet I have to go through with the game. Hopefully they come up with a solution that will be good for everyone.

5. crimsonghost747

Regular

As far as I know, they aren't planning on making changes. What I would really want is the option to just disable ONE map from the rotation, it would still keep the competitiveness etc in the game but wouldn't force you to play a map that you don't enjoy at all.

6. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with this. It is one of those situations where you have to protect the players from players. Most people will say ´I want to play the maps I want to play´.. but that just leads to faster burnout, and also it would require more balancing of heroes since people will pick maps a lot of time based on their hero being strong at that type of map. the larger the pool of maps players get, the less micro-balanced they need to be, or the heroes need to be.

7. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think another reason they don't wanna do this is because it forces people to have a more informed opinion on maps. A lot of people will hate on maps and not play them ever again after a few bad experiences in it if given the choice to.

8. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't have any problem with the random selection of the map for us. And with regards to being able to cross out at least one map, I think it's a great idea too. It can give players a sense of power in one way. But as far as Blizzard implementing it though, I don't know if that will ever happen.

But apart from this, I have a more concerning complaint. That is, I usually get the same rotation of maps and I even get two of the same in a row. I know this is how randomness works but couldn't the developers work out an algorithm that keeps track of the latest maps we've played in. This way, they can give us maps that we haven't played as compared to playing the same map over and over again.

9. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

They should definitely keep the random map choice in. Not only does it keep things interesting for the players, it also creates different tactics and different heroes being used. I think Blizzard even balances certain heroes around the maps that are in the game. Some heroes would barely be viable if it wasn't for certain map objectives that they really work well with. For example Brightwing, Dehaka and Falstad are great options on maps that require a lot of traveling because of the way they can travel around the map. Sgt. Hammer is not so great on travel intensive maps due to his travel limitations, and so forth.

If you want to play a specific map you can already do that through the custom game option by the way.

10. crimsonghost747

Regular

Yeah some element of randomness is required because certain heroes are better in certain maps. However I still hate that garden terror map and feel like going afk the second I see it's loading. :D

Custom game is just against AI, right? (never tried it)

11. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, I agree with this, and maybe even go so far as to say you won´t get a map you played the last two times, it would keep things feeling fresh. The devs might mention that this would require you to wait a bit longer though.

12. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

A custom game can be anything really. I think this is what they use in the tournaments since you can invite people, pick the map, set the amount of bans, have spectators and so forth. It requires a bit of organizing but it does allow you to customize the way you want it. You can even pick the Haunted Mines map, the one that has been taken out of the rotation.

13. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm also not a big fan of getting the same game mode a few times in a row especially if it's one I don't enjoy, they should give you the choice of preference at least for the game mode and make it more likely you get games with that in mind.

14. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think maybe some sort of voting system where the people matched together in the game can choose which map to play on it, but the second you start giving every single person the ability to select a preference for which map, it becomes more and more difficult for the matchmaking to match people together.

15. erook7878

Regular

I think that's the reason the system is the way it is. You'll have long wait times waiting for matches in popular maps to open up. You also have certain heroes that are made for certain maps.

16. erook7878

Regular

I could see certain players with certain heroes only playing a particular map. That would be a disaster for matchmaking and the game in general. It makes sense that Blizzard would keep that in mind when balancing heroes.

17. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think I would like something like you choose 1-2 maps that you just don't want to play on for whatever reason. Then whenever you find a match (with slightly longer que times) you guarantee that you don't play on this maps.

This makes it so que times are still decently short and that you still have a good rotation of maps, with just a few that you really don't like not there.