Do/can you play at max graphics?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by MorgUK, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I honestly think you need an insane rig if you want to play Guild Wars 2 smoothly on max settings in WvW or in World Boss fights. Some boss battles, like the Shatterer, are just incredibly huge and full of other players. For me, on high settings, they run like a slideshow.

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I normally play on 70%-80% max graphic settings, to give me a balance between quality and performance. My graphics card and other hardware can handle max settings, but there are times when there is a chance for lag. That is why I turn them down a bit.

3. LodTroll

LodTroll Member

Modern MMOs tend to be handicapped by the CPU rather than GPU, most of the time. Even at low settings with the features that have the most impact on the CPU, with many players on the screen you'll struggle to have any decent frames per second. I definitely recommend a very good CPU, some people ignore it and just focus on a good GPU.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Guild Wars 2 might look like a game you can easily play on max settings with ease even on low end PCs, but it's not. Guess what, I am struggling to run it smoothly with GTX 770 and i3.

5. LodTroll

LodTroll Member

The GTX 770 is very good, but that i3 is the reason Guild Wars 2 is struggling mate. It's very CPU intensive. You should really get a new one, CPUs aren't that expensive and most MMOs nowadays are very CPU heavy and tend to be bottlenecked by CPU more than GPU even at low settings due to processing many players at the same time.

6. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Yea, your problem isnt the 770, its the i3. The i3 is going to be your main bottleneck for gaming performance until you upgrade it. I'm on an i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.4ghz and I have trouble with some games. I likewise have a GTX770 have had no problems graphically, its always been processing stutter where the game will freeze rather than lag.

7. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to previously, because my computer lacked the ability to push it. This Alienware of mine can, though, and I do play it at max graphics. It looks so nice.

8. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I can't, my PC isn't that great lol.

9. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I do and I can luckly. I would say that the GW2 graphics, even on max settings, aren't that cool, I mean I have been disappointed a bit when I first saw that graphics.I thought it was way better to be honest.

10. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

I spend most of my time either in WvW/PvP or doing world bosses, so there's around a hundred people at each zone and it gets really laggy. I play at 1600x900 at medium settings so it's not super bad, but I think I can play at max settings at more peaceful zones.

11. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nope. I always make my settings to low/medium to all games I play. My PC can handle it but sometimes it lags or the framerate drops.

12. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I agree. If you can't afford a $2000 PC at least, you won't run GW2 that great, but you will. Though graphics will be an instant turn-off. My advice would be not to buy this game unless you've got at least a decent-to-max PC. It's not going to be worth it, trust me.

13. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Max all the way. My PC can handle it. I had it built for GW2 haha. *Hides in shame.*

14. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

My 375 dollar laptop runs everything on "High" just fine, with no skipping. I can't run ultra though unless I turn off shadows and particle effects down. Tried once on ultra and I got ~5-10fps. Turned it back down to "High" - 30-40 FPS. If I play on Medium, I get 60. But I can't handle it.

15. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

By the way the real question is.. can you run ultra settings in Lion Arch XD?

16. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually have them hotkeyed to switch rapidly. If I am exploring or goofing around I play at max, but if I know pvp is coming or even intense pve, I will dump the graphics.

17. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Being able to play a game, and more importantly, an MMO on high with a decent 300 - 400 dollar rig is perfectly fine. MMOs don`t have to look like Crysis to be fun, nor are they supposed to have insane system requirements, like The Witcher 3.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I get at least 45 fps on Ultra and that's when there's a lot of stuff going on. I spent $1k on my rig so this performance level was to be expected, I don't think GW 2 has high requirements.

19. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can play the game at max graphics without many issues most of the time.

20. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yes of course! It makes my game more interesting, entertaining, and a lot more fun.