Do/can you play at max graphics?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by MorgUK, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

I play GW2 at low/medium. I can play with some settings at high but shadows and lighting really hit my CPU hard so I don't bother.

Do any of you play at max? When I mean max, I mean full resolution, decent AA, max shadows etc and so you get at least 30fps in WvW?

2. rivengamer

rivengamer Well-Known Member

Not me. :( Since I spend most of my time in WvW, I have my computer at the lowest possible settings so that I'll be able to play better. Problem is, GW2 still has its occasional lags, especially when there are a lot of players on a single map. The lags could be so horrible that your skills won't work until about 30 seconds you click/use them. It's really horrifying, especially when on defense.

People say that the game really looks good at max graphics, and from what I've seen on Youtube, I think I'm really missing out a lot from using lowest settings. However, it's just about choosing better gameplay vs better aesthetics and I'd rather have the former.

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I can play almost any game at ultra settings. The 770 card is really doing wonders! I got a really amazing deal for the very first time!

4. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised, what CPU do you have? People with high end sandybridge I7's were still getting lag.

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have not played the game, but I did look at the specs and I should be able to run the game on max settings, but I would most likely play on high in most games it's hard to tell the difference between high and ultra.

6. kwak123

kwak123 New Member

I can't help but feel that it is a CPU bottle-neck for this game. It's not like many other games, where the graphics card tends to be the bottleneck for performance. Processing the activities of hundreds of other players, then converting that information to useful data for your video drivers is a very taxing process, which causes most of the lag you'll probably end up getting in GW2. That being said, I play on minimum graphics anyways! Hah. Can't tell, but there used to be this weird thing where your sound would glitch during WvW, and I haven't gotten it in a while since picking the game up again.. I wonder if they patched it.

7. Orz

Orz Well-Known Member

My old rig had an i5, 4GB RAM and 2x GTX 460s in SLI and I managed to just about max it out at 1080p in relatively non-populated zones. Although I found whenever I was around a lot of other players or an area where there was obviously a lot to see my frame rate would take quite a performance dip.

8. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I could play at max settings but I didn't find there to be too much of a difference between the lower and the higher settings so I just put it at medium to reduce the strain on my GPU.

9. Tykain

Tykain Member

I play Guild Wars 2 at only medium settings because I play the game on my laptop which can't handle higher settings with respectable performances.
    I don't really mind though, it already look nice to me at medium settings - While it doesn't look technically impressive, the game art style is very visually pleasing to the eyes.

10. rebel

rebel Active Member

On the computer I currently use I can't even run the game on the lowest settings. It's really sad. Although when I had my previous PC I used to play on low settings as well, just because I wanted higher FPS, which respectively lead to better gameplay.

11. Mizali

Mizali Member

I'm playing the game on a PC I built 3 years ago, and I'm able to run the game with the settings maxed out and not have any problems, most of the time.

Once in a while, especially in high traffic areas, I run into a bit of lag. If I turn the settings down just a bit I can avoid it everywhere.

12. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

I usually play at medium settings for most games. Just to give me a slightly better gaming experience, but also because I can rarely afford higher end specs to raise the settings.

13. RMCMage

That seems to be a common problem with MMO'S if they are not optimized properly and sometimes you just have to know when to lower your settings especially during sieges I usually almost always put my settings on medium because I am trying to win the last thing I need is a lag spike and not do my job properly.

14. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tend to turn the graphics to lower settings. I care more about having higher frames and stability than how pretty the game looks.

15. MonkeyKarl

MonkeyKarl Member

If I were to put on Max settings, the game would run around 35 FPS on my computer. I usually like to play the game around 60, though. High frame rate is better than pretty graphics, if you ask me.

16. sidd230

sidd230 Well-Known Member

That 1500$ i dropped on a rig with dual 7970s is finally showing its value.

1440p, ultra settings, easy 60 FPS..

17. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Unfortunately I can't run it on max settings. Then again, for me graphics are just a nice addition. So it really doesn't matter that much, if I'd care about graphics I'd just buy a new pc but for the moment that is not necessary.

18. Lodismel

Lodismel Well-Known Member

There's no way I could play at full settings and keep my sanity. In WvW the game lags regardless of how great your system is. You would have to have the best system out there, and even then I'm not sure you could get 60 fps at the highest settings. I usually run on low settings even though my computer is fairly nice.

19. Cytomat

Cytomat Active Member

On the desktop I built (in 2012 for about $1000) I can play it with just about every setting maxed. On my laptop from 2010, however, I generally play on low; otherwise it overheats.

20. RMCMage

Most games I can either max, but some I can play on high to be honest I play MMO's on medium and even then I might get spikes, but for me I know it's not my PC it's my internet.