Quantcast

Diplomacy or Warfare?

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 17, 2016.

1. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

Yup. It's a great way for me to understand what others find so fascinating about warfare and I guess I did learn a lot from it too. Though my interest in it remains only in video games still.

2. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

It's never been much of a question for me. I play my game how I live my life. I make love, not war. It's just more fun. The peaceful approach is neither boring, nor is it for everyone. You know what they say about brains and brawn....

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

This does help in real life though. Sometimes you see world leaders doing something that you don't quit understand why. Civilizations allows you to walk in their shoes even though very often it's in extreme circumstances.

4. DeeDee

Yup it has helped me understand some of the intricacies of having to deal with war as most people like to paint issues like this in black and white and playing this game has actually helped me realize a lot more that there are a lot of gray areas to it as well.

5. SirJoe

Just because it's a game doesn't mean it can't have a certain amount of realism to it. I wonder if politicians play these sort of games. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

6. Mistiq

Mistiq Member Regular

Diplomacy. I like thinking out my strategy and taking over the whole puzzle piece by piece. Killing and blood and guts do not appeal to me even in a game. I'd rather be in a situation where I get to use my brains rather than my brawn. It's more fun for me than just razing cities to the ground. That is so... primitive.

7. DeeDee

That's true. A lot of games I have played actually gave me new appreciation to the real world things they represent because of how realistic games have become like I started to appreciate boxing because of fight night and my friends learned to appreciate soccer because of FIFA.

8. gamer2x

gamer2x Member Regular

When I play such games, I usually am neutral while gathering the resources and building up my cities because during that time even if you attack someone, most likely you would only lose, leading to a waste of time.

However, Once I gather sizable amount of resources and create a army to defend myself as well as attack, I like attacking others. I like the aggression which is involved in doing that.

In my opinion, you should be patient till you get the resources and army and then attack all the way.

9. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

That's a good thought. I kinda like the both. You are right. There should be a balance in all these aspects. The stair-like feature would be great.

10. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

I love the cultural victory on this game, I love how involved it is, the dipomatic Victory with the votes it's a little boring for me. So in the end you could say that i'm the diplomatic type but don't go for diplomatic victories.

My playstyle usually involves a focus on cities and resources, but the military side always gets a little behind, hopefully it is just enough to keep enemies aways from my cities.

11. SirJoe

That is one of the great things about gaming, it gives you a inside view of things. There are a lot of things that you can do in games that you couldn't do in real life. I like cars but I could never drive the selection of cars they have in Gran Turismo series in real life.

12. DeeDee

Yup very true. I've gained a lot of appreciation for many things just because I got to play the video game versions of them. I'd say I even started to understand the appeal of watching sports just because I started to get drawn in to esports.

13. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

Your are right. You are right. Anyone can grow even without destroying the cities. It also makes me feel bad.

14. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

You can't drive the cars because they are very exensive and only a few people can afford the cars. Actually, the they are called supercars.

15. jalikam

Well, I guess everyone knows that and in my opinion the price of the supercars should be lowered so that common man can afford it. LOL!

16. jalikam

That's an amazing thinking. You are a diplomatic type of guy but you don't like that type of victories. I really like the mindset.

17. SirJoe

That's exactly what I mean, with games you have access to things that you would never be able to get near too let alone try out for yourself.

18. SirJoe

I'm not much of a sports fan and I don't play a lot of sports games but it did open my eyes in other areas. I didn't like history, just the mention of the word would make me yawn but Civilizations have a different perception of it. I actually have done some research on the different nations in the game.

19. DeeDee

Haha same for me. I understood boxing a bit more and appreciated it better on e I got to try fight night and a few war games have taught me a lot about history too and I am also someone who orgiinally didn't know much and wasn't too interested.

20. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcano Member Regular

They go hand in hand. Diplomacy is usually the first step before Warfare. I think Diplomacy and keeping peace is more challenging but Warfare is more exciting for my taste. It's all about feeling inside the game and being able to start war and thinking that it's something you wouldn't do in real life and that's why I find it more engaging.