Difficulty switched and I can't change back

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by Pizzasmyrf, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

So I got to the undercity and my game crashed, once I loaded backup it continued to crash over and over again when I hit continue so I tried using the chapter select to continue playing, turns out it changed my difficulty to normal and I want to continue playing in ranger hardcore, is there anyway to manually change the difficulty in the files or maybe start a new game and skip to undercity with ranger difficulty??? I would love to finish this game and playing on easy difficulty just feels wrong.

2. There is an option to change the difficulty in the settings.

3. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

Actually in the options you can only change from normal to hardcore, which doesn't do anything anyway because it gets over written when i continue the game, i need to change the real difficulty to ranger to remove all my hud and make ammo less common. This didn't help

4. Okay, I see your problem. I have replicated the same thing on my end.

The only way I could change the difficulty to ranger hardcore at this point was starting the game from scratch, unlike the original Last Light that asked for a difficulty setting each time you start a level from the chapter menu.

EDIT: One of the possible solutions would be to change the user.cfg file line "g_game_difficulty". I assume " 0 " is easy, " 1 " is normal, and so on. In that case " 4 " would be ranger hardcore.

The possible user.cfg locations are as follows, ideally you should change all of them:

5. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

Thank you I'll try this method and get back to you with my results.

6. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

It seems like whenever I start the game after editing the user.cfg the config gets over written and I start in normal again. Is there a way to skip levels? That way I could start a new game on ranger and skip to the undercity

7. Try setting the files to read only.

8. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

Nope didn't work

9. In this case remove the read only setting on user.cfg files, backup your saves in ...\Users\%username%\Documents\4a games\..., start a new game on ranger hardcore, finish prologue, quit the game, restore your saves, launch the game again and pick undercity from the chapter menu.

10. Pizzasmyrf

Pizzasmyrf Member

Awesome, that worked. Thanks so much for your help!