Did you study college?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by thecorinthian, Nov 17, 2015.

1. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

If so what course did you take? Was it in line with your passions? Did you have a career path in mind? Do you regret studying those 4 years? Did you take a loan to study?

I studied Social Science because I was pretty good in history and politics in high school. I wanted to be a journalist, I'm still working on that right now.

2. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nah, I saw a lot of friends take up education and still have trouble with employment, so I went down the trades path, and now I am a self-employed contractor, might go back and get my degree down the road but I am happy for now. Was good at History too by the way. :)

3. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I studied for 1.5 years after high school. I basically just took care of a lot of my general education. Fortunately, I'm going back now in the Spring. I'm going for a business administration degree.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yep, finished it. My degree is in computer science and I'm currently working as a web/software developer for a pretty cool company.

5. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am currently studying, I'm only a sophomore. I'm pursuing a degree in computer science, and I have almost everything paid for from an academic scholarship.

6. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I got a degree in Veterinary Technician. I worked for a while but then life took a different path and I'm very happy with it. :)

7. Bannon

Bannon Active Member
    Regular

Took Chemistry as my major and I'd have to say that it's amazing to see the world from the perspective of the natural sciences. But the workload coupled with the depth and complexity of the topics were really overwhelming. I did graduate with a degree in it but I doubt that I'd take a career in research. It's not really as exciting as I thought it was.

8. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same with me, although I never finished my degree :D I still have a few exams left and I really have to get on those, but work and playing video games always get into way. I'll get it done soon though, I don't want those four years to go to waste.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, I could've made it without my degree as well, but I have a lot of projects which show my experience and skills. Work harder on your projects, they will propel you to the top.

10. d'arakh

Regular

Yeah, that's my main thing. I always think I work hard enough at work (and I do, both last weeks have been 60 hour work weeks) and then I'm way too tired and lazy to do anything when I get home. I think the only projects from school I finished were group projects :D

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Work experience is important as well, so don't worry. Also, it's college and you're still young: go and have fun from time to time. Don't get sucked into being an adult too early! :)

12. d'arakh

Regular

Haha, I wish more people would tell me that! :D
    I got lucky that I was offered a job through the internship and now I work full time, but also have to finish school which is a drag, but it's just something I have to do. I'm way too lazy and spend a lot more free time playing video games instead of studying. I guess I am having fun then :)

13. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am at the moment studying in college. In my opinion studying needs decent amount of effort and is quite expensive but it will surely pay off in the future I believe.

14. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Went to college way too early, graduated high school at 16 and burned out trying to aim for the nursing program. Went into the workforce in the book field and antiquities/vintage collectibles. Tried going back for Phys Therapy and just said screw it. I'm not interested in gunning for a degree that'll strap me in debt or won't guarantee me a long term career. There's a stupid double standard in the job market where HR wants degrees and shit loads of experience.

15. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really contemplated about studying college at all. I've got my own little online business which manages to pay off for all the incurring costs and to satisfy my strict needs but that's pretty much it. I think I've struck gold with this one and just want to see where it leads me to. If it's a dead-end-like business, I will just choose something to live off my entire life like everyone does. :D

16. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

I went to college for my English Lit degree because it seemed like the cool thing to do. I now have an expensive piece of wallpaper, looming student loans, and I have an awesome full-time job that has zilch to do with my degree. Do I regret it? Not necessarily. However, I could have just as easily read Shakespeare on my own, and not spent $30,000 on it.

17. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Right now I am currently studying in Liberal Studies within my college, it is my last year there.

18. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just graduated from Senior High School the other day and I'm now ready to go to college. I'm going to take up Tourism as my course in college.

19. fishbate

fishbate Well-Known Member
    Regular

I went to college and took programming. It's actually a great choice because when i started working, i was a CMM programmer. I would say that it was the right choice for me, the course helped me a lot in terms of knowledge and skills.