Quantcast

Did you play the first game in the series?

Discussion in 'More Civilization' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

I've actually started with first Civilization for DOS, though it was long after it's release and I quickly moved to Civ 2. That said, I still remember playing the game for the first time - it was very exciting to me, back then, and I didn't mention the crude graphics. In fact, the austere simplicty of Civ1 used to appeal to me for a logn time, although it certainly can't compete with the latest games ;)

2. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I have played the first part and that is the best part according to me. Among all of the games, the first part is the most addictive one. Anyone else agre with me?

3. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think you'll find many people who agree, the original Civillization is rather outdated now. But looking backwards, I thnik I would even rate it above Civ 2 - sometimes simplicity is better. I also miss things like all-screen animations of events (city capture, riots etc.) and palace building.

4. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I agree with you. Simplicity is better. Actually, I disagree with you conclusion that Civilisation is outdated. I don't think so.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I actually didn't play the first game of the series, I started out with Civilization II back in the day and I never got around to trying the first one. From what I've read it was a good game for its time though.

6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

No, I didn't have a PC that early in my life. I had one around 2001, which was when Civilization 3 was still pretty fresh from the gaming market. I really liked it, mostly because it had low system requirements, and I was really a fan of history, and to be able to reenact those moments through time with my own hands was amazing. It was also the last time I played a Civilization game though, because when Civ 4 was released, I was sure my PC wouldn't be able to handle it, so I just let it go. Now, I can play it again, and hopefully it would be amazing.

Sad Puppy likes this.
  7. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

No I haven't and probably won't ... When old games don't have somewhat of a nostalgic effect on me, I normally don't play them at all, because I value the graphics aspect of the game a bit.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I played the first game an extremely long time ago back when I was a kid. I honestly didn't enjoy the game all that much because I wasn't really certain what was going on or what I was doing, but mind you I was super young at the time. I'm sure the game is fine, and if I were to play it today I would get plenty of enjoyment out of it despite it's old age.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

I also started with first Civilization for DOS

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I never did get to play the first game of the series but would like to try it out just to see how far the game has come. I'm sure it will be fun but might be a little bit more difficult to play and I will need a good dose of patience.

11. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Sadly I did not have the chance to play it when I first came out, first of all, because I was a little boy and could not just spend money on the game and I think it was also because I was not really into that kind of games due to their difficulty, however, I've not been interested enough to play the first game whatsoever.

12. Mistiq

Mistiq Member Regular

I didn't get to play the first games in the series, but I don't really regret it much, judging from what others who have are saying about the graphics of those earlier games, I didn't miss much. I guess they were alright for that era, but now they would just seem so ancient.

13. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

Didn't play the first game either. I thought about going back to where it began and starting to play there but I changed my mind. The graphics would probably be super frustrating for me after I've played Civ V. So I'll just have to be content with the game I'm playing now and wait to get the new one soon.

14. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

This is certainly true. One of the strong points of any modern game in relation to the older ones are the graphics. I still would like to play the first game of the series but I don't know if I would play it to the end, but for that I would have to be in a really nostalgic mood.

15. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016 Member Regular

When I was growing up my dad had an old Mac Performa. The only thing that I was allowed to do on it without his supervision was playing Civ 1. The first time I beat the game when I was about 12 made me feel amazing. Other than video games I do believe that it was the first game that I have ever played by myself and beat. I have bought every single Civ game since.

16. EntropiaAddict

EntropiaAddict New Member

The original Civilization game is still one of my favorite computer games of all time. I have played every title through Civilization 5 now, and the first one still reigns as my current champion. While I still play Civilization 5 on occasion, nothing seems to compare to what Civilization 1 was able to bring to a game. As others have mentioned, the nostalgia factor certainly plays a huge role in why I think Civilization 1 was the best of the series. Had I started with a later release, I would probably not enjoy the original as much as I still do.

17. taco

taco Member Regular

The first Civ is epic awesomeness. It is the first game for PC that I was totally hooked on. Sure the combat was a little crazy, like when a spearman could kill a tank, but the game is still hella fun. I will still play it to this day!

18. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member Regular

I didn't play the first civ and honestly believe it'd ruin my experience with the game if I try it out now. It's a little too outdated for my taste (sort of like trying to play AoE, though it is a great game)

19. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

you should definitely try this!

20. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

You will not believe me, but I was thinking about downloading it this morning, I was quite busy and therefore, I dod not do it, but I will download it soon, thanks forthe advice.