Quantcast

Did anyone play the main SMT tites?

Discussion in 'Persona 5 Royal' started by Aladar, May 3, 2015.

1. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

Is anyone here a fan of the main Shin Megami Tensei titles? :) I started playing them last year, starting with the first SMT on SNES, and it's really fun. Definitely deeper than I expected as well. The only downside to them - at least the old titles - is that you can get lost very easily in the dungeons, way more than in other old dungeon crawler games. Other than that, I would definitely recommend it!

2. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I've never played the original SMT and SMT 2, sadly. I've been spoiled by modern gaming, it's hard to go back to these SNES RPGs. That said, I did play Nocturne. I love Nocturne and think it's one of the best JRPGs ever made! I can't praise the game enough. It's simply amazing in so many ways. Fantastic high-risk/high-reward combat system, excellent soundtrack, great graphics which ooze style, pretty damn good plot and world-building, etc. A solid 9/10, that one. Maybe even 9.5/10, but that's too generous for me, heheh.

I haven't played SMT4 either, though. I don't have a 3DS. Really want to play it, however...

It's kinda funny though, when you think about it. There's only 4 main Shin Megami Tensei titles, but there's a hundred spin-offs. Digital Devil Saga, Raidou Kuzunoha, Persona (which has turned into its own franchise by this point), Strange Journey (which was believed to be SMT4 haha), Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, etc...

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

Then only way I could play the original game is on an emulator...but it's a decision I'm glad I took. Now, I only look forward to the day when SMT: IF is finally translated...

4. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

I was also thinking about grabbing an emulator and the rom to play the game. I have been playing Persona 3 P lately but want to expand more into the SMT series.

5. SereneAngel88

Well, just be aware that SMT on the SNES has a pretty tough learning curb and unless you have a strategy guide, you'll have no idea what the hell you are doing. Not to say that it's not fun, but it should be taken with a grain of salt if you've only played Persona 3/4 first.

6. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

The only one that I've played was Shin Megami Tensei IV. I actually came across it by accident while browsing the Nintendo eShop on my 3DS. Wanted to find a new game or series to try out because I'd beaten all my old ones, and I thought SMT looked interesting. It was pretty good, but I never did end up finishing it because soon after I got Persona 4 Golden, and SMT was forgotten about. I really should go back and play it sometime, though, because I had fun with it for the little while that I did play.

The rest of them ... I looked them up to find what consoles they're on so that I can consider getting an emulator to try them, but I assume I'd have to find patches for the first two games to play them in English, right? From what I can tell the first was only released on iOS in North America, and the second one didn't get a North American release at all.

7. SereneAngel88

Finding a prepatched rom for the first two SMT isn't difficult and you can find them if you hit google, though you have better luck going to Emuparadise for them.

8. CactuarShimmy

CactuarShimmy Member

I played a rom of the first SMT game back in high school, but it glitched out on me and I never got a chance to finish it. It was pretty enjoyable, though, and every so often I get tempted to download it again and finish it up.

9. SereneAngel88

I think I know what you're talking about. I had the same problem and a friend of mine told me I needed to play up to a certain point before I needed an unpatched rom to get past the part that glitches out. I kinda wish there was another patch that fixed this problem so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble.

10. Narukami

I remember hearing the problem with glitchy patche roms was only affecting pre-patched roms that were patched badly. If you patch yourself there shouldn't be a problem as long as you follow instructions.

11. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member Regular

Played the original shin megami game on emulator and bought the fourth game for DS and fell in love with it. Very complex game and not for everyone, love the odd gameplay system and dungeon crawling. Very nostalgic type of JRPG.

12. SereneAngel88

No, since I did patch my own game and I still ran into the glitch. My only saving grace was I was doing a neutral run and not Law (that's where the glitch mainly hits players) so it didn't bother me aside from doing extra steps. That and having the unpatched rom helped as well, just in case.

13. Narukami

Well, I guess I am wrong them. Was there never an update for the patch to fix that issue? Anyway, I think Neutral is considered the "canon" ending anyway (I think it usually is in SMT games), so it's good that at least that route works fine, heh.

14. SereneAngel88

Nope, not as far as I could tell. It's really annoying but since they do spell it out for you in the ROM files, I could live with it. I figured it must have been a huge pain just translating the thing and studying how the game code works to where a couple of bugs would slip right by. While I would like it if there was a new patch to fix this, I would like it more if IF was fully translated already...

15. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I've played Nocturne which is basically SMT 3 for the western audience. It's amazing but hard, but it's that kind of hard that it's challenging and satisfying at the same time. This thread reminds me that I need to play more SMT games other than the Persona games more often! Like Digital Devil Saga, even though it's not a mainline game.

16. SereneAngel88

Yeah, Nocturne was a good game back when I played it. The best part for me was when I ran into Dante and got him to join my party. I should probably try to find my old copy since I could use more SMT to pass the time until Persona 5 comes out.

17. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

If you have a 3DS there's also the new SMTIV Final game coming out next year I think. It's a sequel of SMTIV with new characters!

18. SereneAngel88

Interesting, I'll have to check it out...just as soon as I beat SMT on my SNES emulator. What I would really like to play is SMT IF, if that ever gets fully translated, since with that game I'll have played all the SMT games for the SNES.

19. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

That's really cool. I've been meaning to playing all the SMT games if possible, however, you seem to have almost completed all the SNES games which is quite an impressive feat. Well done!

20. SereneAngel88

Thanks, but the only reason I say that is because there are at least two SNES titles that will never be translated, at least not immediately, which is Majin Tensei and Majin Tensei 2. They are suppose to be a cross between SMT and Fire Emblem, if that was possible.