Quantcast

Dealing with the city-states

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

What's you overall strategy for them? I'm wary of those in the early stage of them game, when you're not much bigger than a city-state, but as the game progresses I usually grow more and more aggessive. This ended up in permamnent wars between the remaining little buggers and me in my early games, so I'm taking a somewhat more cautious approach now. No sudden strikes just beacuse Seoul seems weak at the moment haha. I still regularly use the impose tribute feature. it costs influence point, but immediate reward is often better, I suppose (unless you invested into improving your influence to ahigh level, of course).

2. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I normally try to keep the relationship as healthy as possible with them, because I don't think that it's worth to have a war with them, especially not in bad situations for you, when you have war wither other players. For me I consider it a strategic disadvantage to conquer the city-states, due to the fact that they are very small and often on the edge of the map, but you also won't get the nice bonuses you get when you have a good relationship with them.

Sad Puppy likes this.
  3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

Peace was never an option. Whenever I play these types of games, the diplomatic approach is garbage for me, as it's just turtling your way into the space age, and win without having to conquer any lands. In the real world, that may be ideal, but we are in the gaming world, and warfare is the key to fun. Destroying cities, harassing leaders into paying up, that sort of thing is what I enjoy most out of Civilization games.

4. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

I guess you might have given it more thought than me, and certainly it's not worth the effort to try and conquer all city-states on the map. Sometimes you can get a quest to invade one from another, and that's enough perhaps?

@OursIsTheFury You would love playing Mongols then, they get a nice bonus for their troops when fighting against city-states.

5. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Agreed, city states can be annoying and demanding and take offense over every little thing. However, it's better to be friends with them than to be at war with them. Warring them is costly and time consuming. To be friends with them takes a little effort, but it pays off when they give you free units or goods. I find bribing them to be the best way to maintain friendship with them without exceeding to their high demands.

6. gyakenji

gyakenji Member Regular

The only thing that makes city states controllable for me is money. Just give the loads of money and they'll be happy.

At one point, my enemy was starting to get into my continent, landing at a city state (which was my ally). The city was quite bad at defending though, they were dealing so little damage, whereas my enemy was just unloading their troops all over the land. So I got my nice nuke and sent it straight to the city. And all my enemy troops are gone / close to dead. The city state got all angry with me, so I just gave it loads of money. I think I spent around 1500 to turn it back into my ally in just a single turn after I nuked the heck out of them.

Moral of the story: Money is everything for city-states.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I never really have a strategy for dealing with them, but that seems to go for the game overall, at least once I start playing it and get used to it and feel the need to wing it