Crafting and upgrading

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Shurfire, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

Why not add some kind of crafting system or upgrading system? You can buy parts or find them around here and there. Then you need to find a weapon smith and they could charge you some ammo and can make the gun for you. That would be cool. Like you can make your own custom ak. Or since there was a war, there had to be some invasion before the nukes. Nukes are used as a last resort so you can find some foreign guns here and there. Or use parts and make foreign guns.

Then you have the upgrading system. I saw someone say something about jamming, why not have a upgrade for having less jams. And maybe bigger clips? More damage? I found that half way through the story of 2033 I had so much ammo. I didn't even spend that much in the stores. You could find everything that you needed really just by playing the story. So a good way to spend money/bullets would be great.

2. iR3vOlv3Rz

iR3vOlv3Rz Well-Known Member

i'm not sure this will be a positive addition (i don't want that metro seems like minecraft or the elder scroll)
    but, as all we know, metro weapons are battered and inaccurate, they can add that our weapons can damage over time and we can repair them at the stations, but if you take a damaged weapon for too long time it will break.

3. Vlad

Vlad Well-Known Member

I have posted a question on the ask the developers thread which will be answered someday so we will see if that is confirmed.

4. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think this would draw attention away from the story and the need to shoot monsters and enemies. Instead, we'd be focusing on upgrading our guns, finding the best parts, trying different combinations, and then complaining because our gun isn't as powerful as it could be etc etc. Also, it would change from an fps into an rpg.

But I think what they could do is make it a little more user friendly, allowing us to buy a scope for our kalash, rather than an entirely new kalash with scope. Things like that.

The gun system worked beautifully in Metro 2033, since you just used the weapon at hand, and didn't have to search for the "best" one, but rather just choose the one you prefer.

5. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

Would be best just to add it in for the people that wish it, so if you wanted to you could run most of the game just using your Revolver

but having a system where if you look about, you can find flashlights, pointers, maybe even grenade launchers and attach them yourself would be good as long as its a fluid system incorporating animations and such (like Taping a torch to your rifle)

would add another part to the game, if its not focused on then it would be quite nice for the people who like it.

With going to other stations, maybe we could have Armour that we can give our gun to and come back before we leave the station, with it cleaned maybe, making it slightly more quicker to use and more accurate, just a tad. Or even Painting the gun?
    (Just cosmetic for the people that wish to spend some bullets for a gun they really like)

6. Shurfire

Shurfire Well-Known Member

A good crafting system would be one that was in knights of the old republic 2. You could go about the story not giving two shits about crafting anything. Or if you wanted you could upgrade your blaster or lightsaber if you wanted a little more power. It doesn't need to be something that you look for 24/7, but something as a little bonus. Just something to waste extra bullets on. I found myself having everything that I needed pretty fast in the game and just having so much extra military grade ammo left over.

Streff adding that extra scope is what I said about upgrading. Would be better than selling your old AK for like 50 bullets then having to buy a new one for like 150.

7. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

If we're talking about upgrading items there could be three options: Low-tier upgrades, good for short sighted people in the now, wherein Artyom himself would upgrade the weapon, add some add-ons and the such but the maintenance would be more often else the weapon would degrade faster, and Mid-Tier upgrades which you can get from the traders and local engineers, more balanced between money and maintenance, and high-tier upgrades which come from special characters like Anton the smith from the Armory, Valdmir the old guy from Sparta and maybe even Kahn, these would cost more to apply but in the long-run less maintenance is required and its probably the best upgrades in the game.

For crafting, I'm not so sure. I wouldn't want it to be cheezy and just plain stupid like minecraft or those JRPGs crafting mechanics. It'd destroy metro for me. But, if there was such a thing as crafting then I have to say it CAN'T be the greatest weapon. It has to be in a lower tier, just in line with the bastard. Because to be honest, I think its stupid to think that new home-made guns are stronger than pre-blast guns. Mainly because they neither have the knowledge, manpower and technology to create something that powerful and expect to be wealthy with it.

In the metro, armorers live in one rule: QUANTITY over quality. The bastard proves it all. Why would I want one powerful soldier, when I can have twenty or even fifty good soldiers defending my station? Easy as that.

8. dahksinol

dahksinol Well-Known Member

If I remember Metro 2033's book correctly and based from a conversation I remember from the game, there was a war. But no invasion. The guys who nuked Russia were very Genre Savy and decided to nuke first. Unfortunately, Russia couldn't tell who was going to nuke them and nuked other countries. In result the other countries nuked other countries, and those countries nuked other countries, f*cking up the whole world. So, I doubt there'll be any foreign guns aside from family heirlooms from the pre-war like hunting rifles and the such, mainly of the civilian variants.

To be honest, I kinda don;t feel metro as 'realistic' as before, now that I realize that that military issued weapons actually have a higher number than civilian weaponry which should be higher than the whole military firearms and should also be the basis for the home-grown firearms.

9. Wolve_NZ

Sounds like the best eh Dahk'

Would love to have some form of sight put on, and if its a crappy one scavenged and put on by your character it should get misaligned after awhile, or even the lenses shattering like how we see with the gasmasks.

I dont think weapon crafting would be the way to go, as it would seam real crappy to have the same weapons crafted again and again, best just to keep it to modifications.

EDIT:
    right now the Russian army has to many weapons, so I think we should see some Ak.74's about! would be awesome having them due to their almost nill Recoil, but lack of penetration and stopping power. Kinda like a Bastard but reliable!

#9 Wolve_NZ, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

You have to remember that this is a first person shooter at it's core, save the crafting for the metro rpg *Cough* *Cough* *4A, GET THE HINT*

11. Wolve_NZ

Haha!
    Would be awesome though, as long as its not so Generic (xD)

but Crafting isnt a good idea, attachments is, like Crysis (pitty Crytek kinda sucks now...) but only more fluid with full Animations and stuff

12. Gharren

Gharren Active Member

A weapon upgrade/modification system would be awesome, but I'm not sure if crafting does really fit into the Metro universe.

13. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

I don't care much for too many attachments, but the ability to add and remove your currently equipped scope would be a HUGE plus, considering scopes can, at times, be extremely difficult to see through.

Even more amazing would be the ability to add and remove the silencer on your weapon (excluding the VSK-94's, as it has an integral suppressor).

Just some thoughts.