Could Metro really save from an Atom bomb and how do they survive now?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by MaximB, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MaximB

MaximB New Member

Hello,

I bought the game a few days ago and played it,
    It's a really well done game however I want to attend to the main issue of the universe.

In this world the people who went to the Metro when the atom bomb attack took place - survived.
    I find it strange that the metro provided defense from such bomb.

Also IF they did manage to survive, how do they grow food? water? isn't it radioactive?
    What about electricity? (underground always has to be light)

What do you think? how did he explain those problems in the books?

Thanks
    Maxim.

#1 MaximB, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Yes it can save people, in theory. A test to see how much payload it will hold after is not exactly possible. It is implied in the books and in the games that Moscow was never directly targeted, but there is also evidence pointing to the opposite. There are also the missile defense systems to be accounted for.

No, it can't support life for twenty years and it was never designed to. What it was made to do is to protect people from the initial fallout and then evacuate them through the tunnels that go beyond the city borders.

Yes, food and water is radioactive and that is exactly the point. Radiation poisoning and cancer is rampant and a dosimeter is a sought-after tool. Plants can be grown in the dark under UV ligths, Sevastopolskaya station receives small shipments of "wilted and sickly looking" potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers in return for energy it provides. Mushrooms are implied to be the primary diet and are also fed to pigs, who provide feces to grow mushrooms in.

The energy problem is solved through fuel and hydroelectric generators as seen in the Facility level and on Sevastopolskaya station.

All these answers are available through the books and games, so an RTFM approach would help.

EDIT: My old thread on the same topic: http://www.lastlightforum.com/showthread.php?t=742

#2 Komodo Saurian, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013