Controls & Game Play

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Eightyysevens, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Eightyysevens

Eightyysevens New Member

I just bought this game & want to know if there is any way to change controller configuration?

I changed the l/r trigger/button option, but now there's no way to wipe water from the mask.

There is a control for jump, but I can't seem to jump onto anything, i.e. cars or terrain features, to escape from the animals attacking during the first assault.

Also, is this an open world game? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Is the game just a linear, mission-based walk-through? I kinda thought it was similar to Fallout 3 etc.

Okay, so I was just guided through a prison in the dark & arrived at a 3rd Reich meeting, but the controls kept turning off. Sometimes I can jump & other times the button doesn't work. Sometimes I cannot access guns, sometimes I cannot run. Sometimes the character does things without my control. It's confusing.

I have no idea what's happening, or what I'm supposed to do. There is a voice shouting orders at me, but I seem to be getting around randomly as I cannot really see where I'm going. Is there any stage of the game where there'll be any kind of full control of the character? Or is the game play a glorified movie walkthrough?

2. I can't help you with the controller, as I don't own a console, but I can answer the rest of your questions.

As is the case with most games, you cannot jump over the level boundaries and the prologue/tutorial doesn't have much room for maneuver.

It is mission based with lots of exploration within each level. There is virtually no hand-holding, especially during visits to the surface.

That is essentially a cutscene. You are supposed to be acting inconspicuous, so running and jumping are off the table. A lot of games use this approach, but I can see your point.

The game is rather bright and it has both an english dub and subtitles, so I can't think of a place to get stuck in the starting levels of the game. Can you show a screencap or a video or at least give a more detailed description of the area you have problems with?

I assume you are on the level Reich, in which case here is a video showing what you need to do:

[YOUTUBE]wmPLzAeDtl4[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, the player control is limited during set pieces and cutscenes, but outside of that you are free to do whatever you want, within existing levels. Here is one of the less spoilerific examples:

[YOUTUBE]Be4X626QXKQ[/YOUTUBE]

3. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

In addition to the above info by Komodo don't forget that you have access to a directional compass that will guide you in the direction you need to be heading and a mission log book that will tell you briefly what you are supposed to be doing.

You don't say which console you are playing on but on the Xbone you press the 'menu' button I think to access this feature (then R trigger to toggle reading of the mission log). You can switch back to your weapon by pressing the same button again.

4. Eightyysevens

Eightyysevens New Member

Hi guys, thanks for your swift responses.

I don't have a console. I play on pc, but there seems to be no way to re-assign controls.

But after 2 hours of gameplay I'm thoroughly bored with 'Artyom do this & Artyom go here', & just blundering around blindly in the dark, whilst apparently seeming to complete whatever it was I was supposed to do after shooting some enemies. I can't really get any stealth feeling, as I seem to get randomly put out of crouch mode, & I can't figure out how I'm being detected, it seems that I'll get detected however I behave. Also, there seems to be times when I'm trying to throw a knife & nothing happens. & when picking up different weapons I can't figure out how to choose which one I want to put down, it just seems to pick one for me.

The game just feels like a walk-through movie to me.

Thanks for your time & explanations.

Happy gaming.

5. It's a shame you didn't get to enjoy the game, but to each his own.

Likewise.

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This thread is brilliant. You are exaggerating a bit as Metro isn't that bad when compared to many other games out there, but your comments make for a nice description of the current situation in the games industry.

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

8. Eightyysevens

Eightyysevens New Member

I've been a gamer since the 70's, & I've racked up 1000's of hours of gaming, including plenty of fps/rpg's etc. I can see the attraction of this title, but I think it's gameplay has been aggrandized. I found in the 2 hours 40 mins I played, I probably had about 1 hour of playing interspersed by cut scenes & video, not enough to get immersed, for as soon as one begins to get to grips & involved, the game whips away the controls & goes into movie mode, with bad acting of a lacklustre script of a vague & unenticing story.

Funny, my son pretty much summed up the current state of the industry the same as you, when I explained to him how the gameplay works. He commented that it's just dummed down so the player no longer has to think......it's come to that eh? Just to draw in the moolah.

9. Duffy

Duffy New Member

This game has very few cut-scenes, so I call bs on that. Also, if you can't get immersed in either of these games, you are hopeless..

10. Eightyysevens

Eightyysevens New Member

Very few cut scenes? How about over 4 hours worth dude...

'Metro Last Light - All Cutscenes Movie HD' - on You Tube.

I can't yet post links, but check it out for your self.

Also I admit that I never watch movies, I find them boring, so that might add to my general lack of engagemant with the title.

11. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Dont be rude Duffy :p

12. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

4 hours of cutscenes ? I find that pretty hard to believe. If it was 4 hours then it certainly didn't feel like it...

I can't access Youtube at the moment as I am in work, but a google of 'Metro last light cutscenes' gives 3 links on the first page entitled 'Metro Last Light All Cutscenes HD' - one is 254 mins and the other two are around 75 mins. I'd say the second ones (75 mins) are more like it but I may be proved wrong.