Combat System

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Sarleons, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sarleons

Sarleons Member

One thing that I really didn’t like about GW2 is the combat system, the fast-paced combat with lots of sparks and fireworks makes it really hard to see what’s going and what to do specially when there are lots of people around using magical abilities. Do you think the combat system needs reworking to make it look more tactical and to add some level of proficiency on it?

2. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not at all. The combat system itself is great in my opinion, probably the perfect hybrid between standard MMORPG mechanics and action. The tactics are definitely there, especially when you master the combo system and use complimentary builds with your friends.

The problem lies within its presentation, I agree there's just too much going on on the screen. WvW is a mess. I wish ArenaNet implemented some feature to limit the special effects.

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

If you go to your settings you should be able to tone down the casting effects. It's been a common complaint for new players. (Though WvW...eh good luck haha the maps have like a metric crud ton of players on there.) Other than that though, it plays more like your traditional action game so it takes a while getting used to since most standard MMOs aren't as action orientated. I personally love the combat. Dodging ftw.

4. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Yes, brawls in GW2 are just a pain, especially the ones against bosses. Anyway the PvP is fine to me, I've been PvPing for quite some time and I must admit that I really enjoy that system, it's surely more skilled than the one used in WoW for sure for example.

5. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Where is it? I don't see such option in my settings screen.
    [​IMG]

Also, it's pretty much based on your skill alone, not the gear you have had to grind for. Which is great.

6. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Exactly, the sPVP is one of the best feature in this game really.. it's all comes down to your skill and knowledge about skills.

7. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Second tab: Graphics Options->enable effect LOD. It helps some, it's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the combat system is alright, although there can be some little tweaks here and there. It's fast-paced and it fits the game like a glove, perfect if you're into this sort of MMORPG.

9. ericnail

ericnail Member

I Agree. I think the combat system in GW1 was far better and made it clear what was actually going on. I don't think we'll ever see another game with the mechanics and combat system like GW1, but I wish we would've seen it in GW2. I always find it hard to play games that move too quickly for you to even comprehend whats happening.

10. prabab

prabab Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, Guild Wars 2 is fast paced by design. If you have trouble following whatever is happening, there are some MMORPGs out there that would make you feel at home. Check out EVE Online, for example. It can be a very calming, yet tactical experience. If you're rather into the fantasy setting, Runescape is (surprisingly) still thriving.
    Also, it's not like Guild Wars 1 suddenly ceased to exist, it's up and running.

Yeah, doesn't really change that much, but thanks for help.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I love the system. And being able to swap on the fly without returning to an outpost is the best feature. I don't want to have to go to a town just to switch skills. If I pick up a weapon, it should have it's own skills (and in GW2 is does - like the sticks, stones, and various pots you throw) at things.

The mainhand/offhand idea to dictate skill sets is sexy. Gives me a reason to hold one of everything I can use in my last pack. Never know what I'll need, when I'll need it. This is the biggest draw for me.