Character Customization

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Kitty Reeves, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

So, in games that let you customize your character, what do you generally make them look like? Do you make them look like you? Or do you make them look completely different? Do you have any markings you try to use on every character?

[​IMG]

This is my Fiona in Vindictus! You can only change things like skin, eye and hair color, but I tried to make her as similar to me as possible. The one reoccurring facial markings I keep trying to use is a face scar, usually over an eye.

[​IMG]

My DA:I character, and you can see I stuck to the same color scheme and eye scar like I did with my Fiona.

What do your characters look like? Do you stick with one thing, or change it up all the time?

2. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

When I saw the words "character customization", the first thought came to my mind was about character skill sets and abilities. After I saw your actual post, it reminds me of Sims, Sims 2, Sims 3 I have played... haha... couldn't help it. While eye candy can be nice, I believe the ability to customize your character's status/skills is more important. I think it is boring that everyone is walking down the exactly same path as their character level up / grow stronger with little to no difference in the same character class.

As for appearance, it is a nice bonus if you can make detailed characteristics to make your character differ from others, but it is not as important as the customization of skills. I would not think it is a good idea that you can continuously change the appearance on your character. At most you should be able to choose what it look like at the beginning on the character creation page, but not every day or every other day after. Afterward, you should be able to change the appearance through gears and outfits, as well as accessories, but not to change your nose position or ear size every time you login... :D

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nice designs there, OP. :)

I like making cool looking (to me at least) characters and that's it. But if the character editor is not good enough I don't bother that much. :p

4. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually have a couple of models I go for when I create my characters. I actually have a lot of fun at that part of the game since I like to make my character look as unique as the game lets me to. If I'm going to spend a good amount of time playing a game, I want my character to be pleasing to the eye for me to stare at.

5. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not every game allow you to customize that much over your characters. Quite some MMORPGs I have played actually had a full server of very similar characters. Yes, it is boring to look at. However, I'd take the customization of skills/status over the appearance.

Think about the D&D based games such as Neverwinter Nights. You can build your characters with many different ways and it will end up with very different skill/ability/power. So everyone was trying to figure out the most powerful way to build up their characters. That's my idea of "character customization".

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't have a set preference and I just mostly go with what feels right at the moment. I tend to go for lower key designs as anything too loud will only end up distracting me and I find I tire a lot easier of the design when there's too much going on. I try to make it simple with a few accents.

7. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Well-Known Member
    Regular

If I go with a male, I like to create an ideal version of me, like the one person I'd like to become if I was given a choice to customise my appearance.

If I go with a female, however, I go for a look that I'd prefer over any other else as my partner. It's quite simple, really.

8. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually create my characters according to the setting of the game. However, I mostly play elf characters if the race is available. :D

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Understandably so. Part of playing these games is being able to immerse yourself in fantasy so it's good to take advantage of it as much as possible. Having too much realism would be a bit wasteful of capabilities in my opinion, but if that's how someone would enjoy the game then I wouldn't blame them either.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Creating a fitting look for your character is definitely helping with immersion, that`s for sure and you also have to keep in mind that you will be staring at the character you created for a long long time.

11. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually try to make my character look lime me that best way I can or make it look like a character from one of my favorite tv shows or movies.

12. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I usually go for character that looks like the way I want it too. So nothing specific. I don't make it in my image. Just make it how I want it to be. That;s my point.