Campaign path and unresolved issues

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light Campaign Discussion' started by Metro monster, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Metro monster

Metro monster New Member

1) the path that is taken as shown of the map...isnt it very long winded in an attempt to get to polis? Turns out polis was always very near to the starting locations including red line. Seeing how a lot of terrain was transversed by surface anyway, why didn't he just go to polis from Venice?

2) what's with khan, the river of fate, the occasional zones of no electricity?

3) wh so much travelling thru hostile regions instead of using that hansa trade route?

4) why does military base d6 actually have a metro station?

5)why r dark ones hibernating in d6?

6) why do people randomly appear and save u? Eg hansa saving u and Anna just after encounter with lenitsky. Eg khan appearing out of nowhere after u finally infiltrate up to Patel in Venice....and worse he just brings u up a ladder to the surface and then parts ways? Dun they have the same mission which is why later they actually proceed with it from the river of fate mission onwards? And with so many meeting of polis like khan along the way...why didn't they actually report the message to polis that?

7)why aren't they travelling on established safer route like hansa trade routes? It's not like as if hansa is hostile to the order

2. Metro monster

Metro monster New Member

Oh yeah one more thing.

8) toward the end when u are running around the surface with the dark one...where there's crazy wind and all, and where the beasts are shown to be not evil but just territorial and protecting themselves.....there's always the background sound of a loud sniper like shot. As if someone is sniping something...though the target also doesn't seem to be you or the dark one cos it's not talked about and u never have to duck for cover in reference to that. And no...pretty sure it's not thunder.

3. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

alrighty (BIG SPOILRS GUYS!)

1) Stations are either blown up uninhabitid or defended like fort fuckoff

2) Khan is mystical river o fate a teleporter and no electricity usally ghosts

3) metro is at war so there is no "Safe rout" anyway those trade routs are useally travered in large groups with heavy weapons

4) D6 has a metro station because of how big the damn thing is you see like a percent of it not to mention the rail line is for transport of men and goods

5) experamints, the original people that lived there no concreat stuff though

6) the venice bloke isnt dumb so he fucks you off hanza doent save you as much as tolerates you and the rest is plot stuff

7) explained in 3

8) stalker proberly or those guys in red square

4. Keegan83

Keegan83 Well-Known Member
    Regular

You haven't read the book,haven't you? In the book they say that the only people who dare to go to the surface to look for amunition,books etc. are stalkers.SO the gunshots you hear are probably from stalkers defending themselves from mutants. You don't think you're the only one being attacked by mutties,right?
    As for your other points... these are common plot devices that help drive the story forward.

The ocasional electricity moments are when all your electronic devices stop to work because of nearby ghosts.

There is no safe route through the metro.

All in all you're asking questions that can't be answered easily if you haven't read the book,played Metro 2033 or the ingame notes in LL. Many things are explained in those notes-read them.

5. Okay, first off - an obligatory macro:

[​IMG]

1. The closest route from Reich was through the Theater station, where Artyom is captured. After this he sends a message through Andrew the Blacksmith and tracks down Pavel.

2.1 Khan is not human.

2.2 River of fate explanation from Khan, from 1:45 forward:

[youtube]eNJEbxsq6Iw[/youtube]

2.3 Darkness is an anomaly. More info from the bandits, from 19:13 forward:

[youtube]bUArNaslh_U[/youtube]

3. Hansa trade route is the ring line. You can use it to get to other ring stations. You can't use it to get to stations not in the ring.

Reality is unrealistic.

4. D6 is a part of Metro 2

"I asked the kid about how he made it. How did he survive the inferno? Now I know. When the missiles rained upon the city of the Dark Ones he was simply not there. The Dark Ones... We've been asking ourselves how it happend so that new sentient life emerged almost instantly. Why did we take millions of years of evolution, and all the Dark Ones needed were a few years? The answer was simple. It was us, people, who had brought them to life. They emerged amongst us. Sukhoi, my stepfather, was right - they were the next step of evolution. Next to ours. We were their fathers, they were our children. We had created so many weapons to destroy ourselves with... and one of those weapons gave birth to them. They are not like us. What kills us makes them stronger. We left them a ravaged, poisoned world. But they learned to live in it. They sustain themselves by absorbing radiation. After being born, they do not enter the world at once.

For sometime they continue to exist in a dream, growing and learning from the ones who came before them. What we destroyed was their home. But the place where their young one slept was underground. Close to the Botanical Gardens. Close to the TV Tower. It was in the bunkers under the TV buildings, which were connected to D6. But when the warheads fell, the entrance tunnels caved in. The Dark Ones who were almost ready to enter the world got blocked inside. Instead of them, he, the Little One, opened his eyes, awakened by the explosion and the last scream of his mother. Knowing nothing of what had happened. Not ready for anything, knowing nothing of the world. He tried looking for his kin, but could not find them, because the few survivors continued sleeping. Their time to wake up had come and passed. Very soon they could die of hunger, without even opening their eyes once. I don't know how Khan persuaded Miller, but he was the icon of stoicism and did not reach for his weapon when he saw the Dark One. And the following events shocked me even more than the plans of the Reds.

There were Dark Ones in D6! Khan had hypothesized that they were created artificially before the war. Created as what? Soldiers immune to radiation and having no need for voice communication? Could be so... But then God probably decided to breathe souls into them...
    "

6.1 Oktyabrskaya station is an interchange one, which means there are two stations with the same name - ring and radial. Ring one is controlled by Hansa and radial one is neutral. Hansa did not save you, you simply reached their territory via an escalator.

6.2 Anna was held hostage by Lesnitsky since Nightfall level.

6.3 This is not Khan.

[​IMG]

8. There is a sniper nest in the Mausoleum and a stalker team in the State Historical Museum near Alexander Garden.

6. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

I'm particularly intrigued by the quoted statement above. I'm not the most versed in lore surrounding Metro but I have read Metro 2034 book and played both Metro games.

Where and what is the reference in the lore/games to this?

7. BLY4

BLY4 Well-Known Member

I don't quite remember where, I'm sure Komodo will find it, but I'm pretty sure it is heavily implied that he's from another world/dimension. I believe it was in the book, part of Artyoms endless thoughts.

8. Hoenkoper

Hoenkoper Well-Known Member

I thought that in the book, Khan said that he was the last reincarnation of a Hindu god.

9. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

Don't you mean reincarnation of Genghis Khan?

I'm not exactly sure where everyone is getting the idea that Khan is from a different World/Dimension.

10. TotalAaron

i was thinking that myself

11. Hoenkoper

Yeah, I meant Genghis Khan. When Khan really is his reincarnation, then Khan isn't an usual human.

12. TotalAaron

but he dosent have a short-bow :p

13. Metro monster

Metro monster New Member

1) so after escaping the reds, artyom decides to go after pavel in venice instead of going polis which is just to the left? And then after Venice where pavel escapes we decide to head to the church down south instead of to polis?

2) ya I saw the scenes on river of fate and all but it's just not explained. It's a major issue in the game right...the existence of some weirdo sewer that transports you into the past or a dream, and then suddenly next to a moving reds train.

And what...the phone rang in the metro basement and it was your mum? And what the hell is khan. Sure he says he's genghis khan and all, but what is he really.

I guess the question is...are we saying that there are supernatural things in the metro universe? Or are these more like dreams and hallucinations?

As for the darkness...we never encounter any issues in the darkness like what was talked about. There were no black stuff going through people's mouths. The closest thing to a person sounding like himself but just sitting there with mouth open...would be weirdo khan. So what's this darkness all about then? And also, these no electricity zones aren't accompanied by fog like what the bandits said.

3) surely the hansa trade route must be linked to places like polis.

5) so that quote is really confusing. Are dark ones created by humans? Or did they evolve long ago and just never made themselves seen?

6) yes people keep showing up. Like lenitsky that part...so for what reason does hansa bash down the escalator path? And if not khan, then who was that fella who ruined my assault on pavel...what the hell was he doing?

8) if it's a sniper team at masoleum, why aren't they headed to polis to join the other stalkers and rangers? And what the hell are they shooting at? They locate themselves on the surface with infinite filters just to shoot things for fun?

I heard that the book isn't same as game...until 2035 is out later this year. So haven't read 2034 cos it's a totally different thing.

Shit now I'm even more confused. Why would the blacksmith be in the middle of nowhere just along the vents around the red base.

14. Hoenkoper

Do you even pay attention to other characters and conversations?

15. Metro monster

Metro monster New Member

Yes. I always listen when there's a dialouge. As much as I stare at Anna's left ni...

#15 Metro monster, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  16. Hoenkoper

1 It's his mission to capture/kill the dark one, Pavel goes after the dark one, so Artyom goes after Pavel, because he has info.

2 The weird things are anomalies, which can be like the light in 2033, like the darkness, etc
    Artyom and Khan aren't captured by the darkness so there's no black shit coming out of their mouths.

3 Hansa line is a circle, Polis is at the center, travelling through the Hansa line is worthless, and they don't let everyone enter.

5 Dark ones are created by humans, but nobody knows how they got in D6, might be explained in a sequel, just like Artyom's connection with the Dark ones is explained in Last Light.

6 The reds let some infected civilians free so they could go to Hansa, but then followed them to kill them, some Rangers were practising there and saw it, Hansa joined and a there was a fight. The guy at Venice is Simon, you meet him in Venice when you get off the boat, he asks you to help him to take out some bad guys (which you did on your own).

8 *sigh*
    Stalkers are loners or travel in little groups, they (mostly) don't belong to factions and don't give a shit about war. The was hasn't even begun yet, all the actions of the reds were under the radar. are searching for usefull things at the surface. A sniper team can cover other stalkers, protecting them from mutants (obviously).

#16 Hoenkoper, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  17. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's pointless to explain anything.

Metro don't make a lick of sense after all.

Aside from extensive knowledge of the new world and incredible awareness, Khan does and says a lot of things that point toward this.
    Artyom wonders himself "is he even human?"

He talks with Artyom about things he shouldn't know during Ghosts and Cursed. He then just shows up at Sparta base in 2033 and tells Miller where Artyom is.

He appears in Sparta again a year later to tell Artyom about the Dark one. How did he get inside a heavily guarded bunker without ever being inside a single time and find Artyom? He could have visited in the time between M2033 and MLL, but even Miller is surprised to see him. How did he find the Dark one in the hive? Why doesn't the Dark One recognize him when they meet near Kremlin?

He tells the guard in Sparta that he hasn't met anyone with extensive knowledge of demons in 500 years. Is this an actual joke or truth that will simply be dismissed as a joke by everyone?

After D6 he simply disappears, no body, no nothing.

He says he was the only survivor of the battle in the Ghosts tunnel. I say he actually died there.

18. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

I say due to the extreme conditions of the Metro, many people began to have schizophrenia. This schizophrenia may also extend to visual hallucinations aswell, take the River of Fate for example, it shows Artyom the in the clothing that he is wearing currently not the ones he was wearing back then.

1) This is because Artyom needs to obtain information from Pavel, because if he went to Polis he couldn't prove his outlandish accusations. Artyom may have also had a need to see his friend face to face again.

2) Visual hallucinations and auditory hallucinations explain it best, if not wanting to believe in the ghostly stuff.

3) Hanza is the ring of stations surround the Fourth Reich stations, most of the Red Lines and Polis. It does not connect to Polis, the only way is to get through unknown or dangerous stations.

5) Dark Ones may be humans, this might have been due to the Radiation. Dark Ones are in the area that they first appeared, so maybe the door to D6 in that area was open or they opened it and entered it.

6) People randomly appear because that is the way of books, movies and video game stories. Supporting characters need to appear at the right time to push the story forward and help the Main Character.

8)The sniper shots may have been where Pavel and his group were, when you first arrive you see several dead, these bodies may have come from those shots.

I hope this answered your questions.

19. Baron01

Baron01 Active Member

Based on what Komodo provided as additional back up, I would say that the original statement in his very first post in this topic related to Khan's origin
    should have been worded differently.

All that is mentioned as a support are really just assumptions and indirect clues. It is definitely a very interesting view, and potential explanation, but it is definitely not a fact as it might be derived from the statement itself.

20. *tinfoil hat*

It's impossible to know for sure whether Khan is a crazy old man, an enlightened supporter of the Dark Ones, or an otherworldly being. The good ending suggests the last answer is true.