Buy content or have it given to you through monthly fees?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by PrinceOfEgypt, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

Some other threads got me thinking about this, what does everyone prefer? Having it so that you "buy content" would mean that it's optional and because its optional it would also mean not everybody will have access to the same places as you in a MMORPG.

A monthly fee would mean your all at the same playing field with access to the same things (provided they don't include purchasable content on top of the monthly fee).

Depending on what the additional content provides it could be unfair for players who don't have access to it compared to those who do. Similar to a cash shop providing some sort of advantage however this would be in an entirely different way.

2. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

If the purchasable content is equivalent to an expansion giving you things such as additional abilities/levels of that sort then it could be considered unfair.

3. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I absolutely loved the way GW1 did it. You pay for worth-wild expansions, and/or pay for tiny little cosmetic things, or conveniences for a small price. Its so amazing, that they make other companies look like greedy price gougers.

4. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I think releasing land, new races, new professions etc needs to be done in expansions. But stuff like housing, mounts, personal story, etc could easily be done in a piece meal fashion without affecting group play at all. Dungeons, PVP Maps, etc get more difficult because of the amount of frustration that can happen when one member of a group doesn't have access.

It all depends on how fast they can release expansions. If expansions will take a while I think they need to figure out some way to put out some content for us to buy. The other stuff they can make money off of is character slots and name changes.

5. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

The way GW1 had it was how xerran and delve said, for the major things such as professions they were only in expansions, the buy-able content was fun things like adventure packs.

6. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I prefer monthly fee TBH but the way GW2 is doing it, I feel it's the right step forward in MMORPG's

7. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

whats your reason behind the monthly fee preference?

8. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I know Im not Terminator, but I can see his point. I used to feel that way myself. By paying a nominal fee a month, you get access to everything and anything with no strings attached. Thats the power of a subscription fee. Most f2p games seem to enjoy tricking you into paying more than a monthly fee, just so you can enjoy the game and all its benefits.

I used to feel this way myself, but its a magical thing when a company does f2p right. You know the money you put forth is all you'll have to pay forever. Its a rare thing to be able to feel that way... as most of them are garbage, and you'll only be playing it for a month. Currently, the only 2 "free" games I play right now are GW1 and Champions Online, and Im liking the way things are. GW1 is ridiculous with how much you get for your money, so I only expect the same with 2...

9. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Yep, but i'm slowly swaying away after the tricks blizzard has been pulling. It has a cash shop, expansions and a subscription fee.. that is getting out of hand. I prefer a flat 15$ fee and absolutely nothing else. I see the GW way a step forward though especially in a time where all the MMO's have been a flop.

10. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

I agree about it being a step forward, most if all MMO's are either P2P or F2P not B2P ( only need box ) This is the first real major MMO to be doing this.

11. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

Just trust in Anet youll see youll be a happy guy :) Arenanet cares about its people playing the game unlike Blizzard. Ive played Gw1 from the very beginning and its so true what Xerran said, its just that feeling, its like a little piece of freedom. Youre not attached to the fact that you have to pay every month and in the end the Gw system is cheaper aswell.

12. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt Member

A lot of interesting perspectives. I like the fact that Anet has such a strong fan base & supporters. From the look of it, everyone prefers to buy content but only as long as they don't include anything major that can change the game completely unless it's an expansion which is what I also hope to see.

13. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

yeah that is true. those who don't like the the way arenanet is doing it simply don't understand it. If you haven't played GW1 then once you play GW2 you'll understand and appreciate it like the rest whom already played GW1.