Building a new PC

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion & Support' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Well, most impressions on the other devices seem satisfactory enough, one bad experience doesn't dictate the usefulness of all products with similar design specs, and I seriously doubt the former of those two non-USB switches will be more of a bottleneck unless you're getting Gigabit internet, but it's your money to spend as you see fit, so I'll say no more.

A friend of mine had a similar issue last year, we got it working by resetting the Bios like you did. For some reason the Bios reset button on the motherboard didn't do the trick, so we had to pull and re-insert the CMOS battery to get it to work. Anyways, glad you got it working.

2. Skaara Dreadlocks

The expensive black one hadn't been bought by many, and the few who left a review left only negative reviews about it being very problematic to get up and running, and I know how ******* much that ****** me off, so I bought this one, which was had a lot of very positive reviews. I'm pretty sure the card is more than capable, and with an antenna like that, I'm at least very certain that it's catching the signals properly :)

Thanks :D When you say "Bios reset button", you mean that the motherboard had an actual button for resetting the bios? I had to use a screwdriver to touch two small metal-pins simultaneously to cause a shortcut, there was no button.
    Anyway, do you remember if you held down the power-button for 15 seconds afterwards, or not? Because on my PC, that was essential to resetting the BIOS, unless actually taking out the battery.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I've had similarly bad experiences with USB wi-fi. Though to be honest a cable internet connection is preferable over any kind of wi-fi in pretty much all aspects except for laptops or desktop setups that are too far from the network/scenarios where you just don't have enough room for a cable. Other than that, a cable connection is still much more stable and usually a bit faster too. Even though in terms of speed wireless stuff has pretty much caught up and it's easy to find ones just as fast, they are still quite unstable in comparison. Last time I used wi-fi I would get kicked out of online matches on like half of the multiplayer games I played (something to do with the software they use to catch hackers which treats people with jumpy ping like cheaters), not to mention the potential for random lag, but as soon as I switched to a cable connection I was back to actually being able to play things.

But yeah, if your room is set out in a way that doesn't make a cable connection convenient or possible then you're stuck with wi-fi.

4. Potarto

Here's hoping.
    Yes, many higher-end mobos come with a dedicated button, though as we discovered, removing the battery was the most reliable way to ensure a proper reset.
    Yeah, just about anyone I know will say the same about direct cable ethernet. But I guess it's the only option he has.

#24 Potarto, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  5. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've never really noticed the difference between wi-fi and cable, other than when I'm at a long distance away from the router. But I currently have my PC very close, with a door between the router and PC that I like to keep closed, and I'm not gonna start drillin' a hole in the wall :lol:

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've been LANing today, and I can report that the new computer has so far proved excellent, running Arma3 on max settings with a high framerate. I think I partially owe that to the groundbreaking new Arma3 update, but my old PC still wouldn't be able to run it at max settings. So there's that. :thumb:

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Glad to hear it, may it serve you well in the years to come. :D

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

I thought I'd wait with buying a new screen, but I've come to realize that it's essential to have, for me to experience the new level of quality properly, considering the bad old screen I currently have. So I bought this:https://www.komplett.no/product/807104/datautstyr/skjermer/skjermer/benq-24-3d-led-xl2411z

But it was stupid of me being so slow; Had I bought it yesterday, I could have gotten it today. But since I ordered it today, I have to wait until Tuesday :sad: (easter).

EDIT: I also just realized that perhaps I can now get my money's worth for AC Unity, as I can now finally play it without lag. The bugs will probably still be there, but Imma try.

#28 Skaara Dreadlocks, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  9. Potarto

Not at 144 hz, and likely still with drops below 60 due to how unoptimized the game is, but most likely plenty playable.

Glad it's working for you, though.

10. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I'm happy to hear you finally got everything running smoothly, Skaara. A good investment indeed :thumb:

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

Thanks :D Unfortunately, the 2TB HDD was making a lot of mechanical noise while being used, so I sent it in return and bought a new one of the exact same type. So far it doesn't seem to make any noise, but we'll see once I try running heavy games :)

12. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

so after i saw what vulkan could do to boost fps gloriously, i decide to immigrate to the team red. nvidia you better support ascync ASAP to catch up.

13. Skaara Dreadlocks

A-Sync? What's that? I realize it's got something to do with Synchronization. I tried googling it but couldn't really find any satisfying answer. I suck at googling :sad:

14. Eru Cozorav

Eru Cozorav Well-Known Member
    Regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchrony_(computer_programming)

though this video helps explain a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dUhep0rBs

nvidia, even though with their CUDA core, still cant capable of that feat. and their partial support to dx12 is also major drawback for using nvidia card.

just look when vulkan support came out in DOOM, only amd card that could advantage of it and gaining a very huge fps boost.