Blunt vs. bladed weapons

Discussion in 'Dungeons and Dragons Online' started by courageoflions, Dec 18, 2013.

1. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

How do you all feel about the differentiation between different types of weapons in DDO? Do you consider it a tiresome bother, or do you feel that it enriches gameplay?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

In any MMO or RPG I always go with blades just because they tend to look cooler in my opinion.

3. courageoflions

I've always been a fan of axes and shields, maybe it's the stereotypical barbarian in me.

4. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

I've always preferred bladed weps. Not only do they look cooler, but mostly have the stats im looking for.

5. Antiquarian

Antiquarian Member

Both forms of weaponry have advantages and disadvantages.

Blunt weapons are ideal for a heavyweight champion and are capable of crushing obstacles. One full blow or wipe and gets the job done. Perfect weapon against an undead skeletal horde but probably ineffective against a giant dragon whose body can shield from the weapon. Requires brute muscles strength and extra stamina to master these weapons.

Bladed weapons are ideal for a swift champion and are capable of cutting obstacles. One fine cut or thrust and gets the job done. Perfect weapon if you want to pierce an opponent and would come in handy if you're quick to lunge it at a giant dragon's weak spot... but it would be useless against an undead skeletal fencer whose swordsmanship could be superior and deadlier.

It depends on circumstance, opponent and choice.

Sincerely,
    The Antiquarian.

6. courageoflions

Aha, a very romantic approach, Mr. Antiquarian!

I find that the balance and weight of a blade excites me more than the raw brutality of a mace. A fine battle-axe would be a nice compromise.

7. Antiquarian

Antiquarian Member

Don't get me wrong, Courage... blades are somewhat seductive ;) Blades have an attractive element that makes them chosen by many a warrior. Perhaps it is because they are lightweight and easier to carry around. Also a great weapon to be used in stealth or for hiding under clothes or bags. Definitely an ideal form of weaponry for the assassin, spy or even king. Perhaps it is because of the blades' secretive and elegant nature is what makes them exciting to many of us.

And a blade that's covered in Turkish lamb kebabs would be a very romantic sight for a fancy dinner indeed :p Not to mention delicious!

Battle-axes are impressive. And with proper creativity, you might even transform a battle-axe into a groovy electric guitar like what Marceline the Vampire Queen did in the Adventure Time series :D

Sincerely,
    The Antiquarian.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

actually when I think about it I have never really used blunt weapons in any game besides Skyrim maybe I should give them a try, but I do hate the lower attack speed.

9. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of any blunt weapons on whatever MMO or RPG. I always will pick a sword or blade even though the stats might be weaker. Blunt weapons like hammer are usually slow to use and I prefer swift attacks.