Quantcast

Best in the series

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by Chris_A, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I personally think it might be the best game of the whole series but as I always say, it mostly depends on the player who plays the game, there are many tastes in this world and we shall respect that overall, however, if we talk about Civ in general then we shall have to add all the modifications to make it "greater" as a game, so yes, it might be the best, that is my opinion though.

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

For now I do consider it the best in the series but from the looks of it it seems like fans will like civ VI even more because of the improvements they have stated. I can't wait to grab my own copy and be able to compare what they have changed so far.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I think it's still early to talk about civilizations VI, but if the past games are anything to go by it probably will be the best game yet.

4. DeeDee

Agreed. I think as long as they just keep everything consistent and mainly just improve on what's already in place then they should be alright. I do think they will do it right since development nowadays has gotten a lot more sophisticated and formulaic.

5. SirJoe

This is true game development has changed greatly in the past years, they also have to keep it true to the genera and know that people don't have short memories. If the alter it too much they could loose a certain part of their market.

6. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 Active Member Regular

Yes I do think Civ V is the best game in the series. I didn't play the first few editions of the game but I have easily put the most time into this Civ edition than any other. If you don't have Civ V yet go get it now!

7. Calinpls

Calinpls Member Regular

I don't think there's any contender to Civ 5 right now. My favourite without a doubt. Sure, Civ 4 was nice and Civ 3 brings some nostalgia back, but they can't go toe-to-toe with Civ V. Beyond Eearth seemed to have a sparkle in it, but after the release it lacked the character previous ones had and still have. Civ 5 excells in a lot of areas from design to the amount of content being released years after the original release to the great community backing it up. It's been a while since I was able to call a gaming community "great", but the mod support and the countless tips and tricks sites I was able to find online, none of which were toxic, actually still amazes me. This opinion is built on about 500 hours of gameplay, with or without mods and DLCs over the course of 4 years. I can't even believe it's been this long since the game came out.

What I hope is that starting from October 13 it'll be the second best Civ game out there.. anyone else want to join the hype train with me?

8. DeeDee

Yup if they change too much they will end up alienating their hardcore fans so it really is in their best interest to balance innovations while keeping the spirit or the core of the game alive in new iterations.

9. SirJoe

That's how come they could start a new genera and simply sponsor it with this one, you often see it. They normally will put it in big tittles, "brought to you by the makers of so and so game".

10. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

I have to say Civ V because that was the reason I got into this game. I wish I had been playing from the very first, then I would have more to say. But I'm just happy that I didn't have to go the rest of my life missing out on such an exciting game.

11. DeeDee

That's true. Perhaps if they want to experiment completely they could just do so in another title though I guess the trouble is missing out on a lot of profits not using the main title you know will be successful but at the same time the risk of tarnishing that brand is also lowered.

12. SirJoe

They could risk it, they might not get all the fans from this series to buy it but they would most certainly get some new fans of the new genera.

13. taco

taco Member Regular

Yup Civ 5 is definitely the penultimate title in the series. But other versions are fun in their own rights. Civ 4 has some unique dynamics and still plays very well. In fact I still play Civilization the original game, I have to use a DOSBOX to slow windows down to get a good game, and maybe I am just nostalgic from all those epic games in my youth, but I do still love Civilization. And it just goes to show that games don't need fancy graphics or gimmicks, give me a game like Civ any day.

As far as Beyond Earth, I have played it some, but I just never into it near as much as the Civ series. Maybe it was because I found all the techs difficult to navigate, well really the whole GUI was a little obtuse. Maybe I just need to give it a little more time though from what I have read here. Though with Civ 6 coming soon, who knows when I will have the time!

14. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

You definitely have a point there, it's important to keep in mind the fact the previous versions really have their good and bad features, we should never forget about them as well, but it's true, Civ 5 is the best game so far and will keep being until the release of Civ VI

15. SirJoe

I'm glad that you started on the best one yet. I think that when Civ VI gets launched that position belong to it.

16. DeeDee

I agree. I think they did think it was worth the risk and tried to venture t in some ways and it's just unfortunate it didn't pan out too well for them as far as I know. Still I do hope they continue to experiment as I think they have a lot to offer besides their core game.

17. SirJoe

Now have something to build on, if they want to expand once again they don't have to start from scratch. I think there are enough people interested in the game for them to risk it one more time.

18. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Civ5 is the best in the series!

19. DeeDee

I agree. Maybe after this new release which does sound massive they can focus a bit more on attempting a spin off later on but I guess they will focus more on expansion packs and DLCs first.

20. SirJoe

They will completely focused on Civ VI now and the up coming year, Who knows maybe they can come up with something in 2018 or 2019.