Bargain Hunting

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, May 11, 2015.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Since every now and then we create threads for some games sold at a nicely discounted price, I figured we could just have one thread for it that we'd update every now and then. So I'm starting off with some good news, of course. :)

Metro: Last Light, Saints Row 2, Saints Row 3 (with DLC), Darksiders and Darksiders II (with DLC) have just been unchained from DRM at GOG.com; all of them are discounted for a week (from -49% to -67%), so their prices are pretty cheap right now. You can find them here.

2. There is currently a giant Strategy First sale on Steam. Of Jagged Alliance, Flatout and Disciples fame.

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Great thread, Bamul! We really needed this, actually :)

For those who're fans of the Half Life games, Black Mesa is now available in Steam for about 16 euros. It's pretty much a Redux of the first Half Life game, definitely worth the money IMO.

4. $8 for me.

It was free before though.

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Lucky you :rolleyes:
    Yeah, when it wasn't available in Steam, and then it was called Black Mesa Source. I played it back then, and I absolutely loved it. The gameplay and story was good. Not absolutely great, but still a lot of fun. But what amazed me the most was the soundtracks. The best game music I have ever heard in my entire life. I dare say they may be better than even the Metro soundtracks. It fit the situations and battles in the game so damn well, and it gave the whole game that whole "This is epic, this is important, I am epic, I am important" feeling. At least for me. I've posted them in the Random Music Thread several times before, and yet again I shall post them here, because the world needs to hear them. (Skipping into the best part of the songs doesn't work, it just breaks them because half the greatness is in the whole build-up, which just adds the main part that extra tension.) Imagine hearing these songs while playing a very good shooter. Someone should really really make a Metro fan trailer with one of these songs. Wouldn't exactly fit perfectly, but would still be goddamn awesome.

[YOUTUBE]?v=FtTmiYA5D4k[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]?v=8jnFgqS5ZgM[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]?v=9OacXUzTNXo[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]?v=30AM8K06FJU[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]?v=H8ZCM4FuI5A[/YOUTUBE]

If you've got the time, I strongly suggest that everyone takes the few minutes to listen to all these. You could possibly listen to them in an extra tab while browsing the rest of the forum?

Anyway, I've been wanting to play the game over again ever since I played it, just because of the music. But I've got other games that're keeping me too busy, but otherwise I would pay the 16 euros for it to play it again, even though I've already played it for free.

#5 Skaara Dreadlocks, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  6. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I believe it's still for free. I actually just downloaded the thing a couple weeks ago. It wasn't directly from steam, but it was off of one of the torrent sites -gamefront- that the developers provides for its user on their official Black Mesa website. I had actually thought it was like that until this day. I guess they finally moved it as a steam download and decided to charge for it? Well, if anyone decides to download it via torrent, it take a hell of a long time for some reason. There's apparently a faster way to download it using the torrents (and it's actually a method that the developers published themselves) but I was at school at the time and didn't have my own computer over there where I could extract everything and put it into my steam file. I haven't installed the game yet, though; but it's one mod that I've been waiting for years.

7. The free version is deliberately unfinished, it doesn't have Xen and ends with a cliffhanger. Steam version is the complete one, but it's pricey.

I've played the free version and that's it. I might pirate the final version, but I'm not really interested in playing it or paying for it.

I own all of the games in the series several times over, I've obtained physical and digital copies over the years, and I don't want to pay for the same thing again.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Valve loves it when we pay them for mods, especially if they're made by someone else but supported by their platform.

9. Considering they removed paid mods, I assume they want everyone to get it for free.

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Not really though, they only removed them because there was a shitstorm brewing. The fact that they implemented them in the first place says something.

11. Yeah.

Back to "Black mesa" on steam: It's still early access btw, only 85% done. So uh, keep that in mind.

12. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that the finished campaign will still be free, the non-steam version will just be lacking the redone TDM modes and some other feature, I forget. They said the Steam release was just a way to support their development and get some extra goodies in the process.

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Aw, that sucks. And here I was, this whole time, waiting for Xen to be released on the free version. Well, thanks for letting me know ;).

----------------------------
    I once mentioned another HL2 mod called Uplink. I'm not entirely sure if it's was made by the Black Mesa team, but it's at least based off it. The original Uplink mod was released, as a demo, for HL1; but, in the final product, the location, presented in the demo, was removed from the game. I've tried the original, and I remember it being decent; though, I don't know how well the remake of it is.

14. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Maybe you didn't see my previous post. Here, even did some digging.

Link to article

15. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I did read it, but I'm afraid I misinterpreted it. Not that it was difficult to understand or anything -it's entirely my fault. And thanks for the article :)

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

O ye olde thread, I bring thee back from the depths of hell!

Spring sale on GOG, Crusader Kings II -75% on Steam, another sale on Origin with Crysis 3 going for just 2 quid.

#16 Bamul, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  17. Skaara Dreadlocks

That is like the price of a tiny chocolate bar for me :lol:
    I might as well just buy it so I have it, I've never played any of the Crysis games but have always been like "Hm.. Crysis... looks cool".
    And yet, I am so sure that I'll probably never be bothered to play it that I won't even be bothered to buy it :lol:

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular