Artyom's Watch

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Teddy Picker, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where someone could pick up a model of Artyom's watch? A link would be immensely appreciated, someone on the Wiki is looking for one.

2. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I don't even think an exact copy of Artyoms new watch exists. Sadly.

3. Teddy Picker

Oh, sorry: to specify, Artyom's watch from Metro 2033 that was included in the special editions of M2033.

4. Ranger_of_the_new_world

Ranger_of_the_new_world Well-Known Member

You mean this one: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://gamebanana.com/tf2/skins/screens/114578?screen=3

Well i have no idea where to get one. The only way if you know any person that owns special edition beg him that he would sell you that watch, or try some international seliing websites like ebay, amazon and others

Well i found limited edition on ebay for only 20 GBD and free worldwide shipping, but no watch included :(
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metro-2033-Limited-Edition-PC-DVD-BRAND-NEW-GAME-FREE-P-P-WORLDWIDE-/251073719267?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3a7528ebe3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ripy7nJRVMs

First comment suggest that not only he looks for that watch.

Well personally i would pay 30 EUR to get that watch not more.

I just relized that boy in that video is actaully a women ( well i learned german for few years, but it seems i never learned the voice differece from 13 years boy and full grown female). Lucky chick.

#4 Ranger_of_the_new_world, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  5. Von Streff

Von Streff Well-Known Member
    Regular

^ I think it was only real eased in certain parts of Europe... so epic.

6. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

only one word.

Orgasm.

7. Teddy Picker

Wait, that key chain would be perfect for me, I'm Teddy Picker guys! IT MUST BE MINE.

8. TheIrishBread

TheIrishBread New Member

If your willing to build one

okay i saw this post and i thought mabey i could get plans for both with part list because im building one for a project and it would be cool to own

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Building a working, mechanical watch, from scratch, seems like it would be very difficult to do. There aren't very people, on this world, who have acquired this skill. If it all, what I recommend is buying a bezel watch that has similar feature to artyom's (preferably a wind-up one) and make your own custom face to match the one from the game. As for the LED detection system, I say that would be the easiest thing to make. All you would need are three LED lights (green, yellow, red) and put them in parallel with a small resistor. For them to turn on with specific amount of lighting, then you would need and IC chip (I don't know which one though) and one of those light detecting sensors that go on those solar lights that some people put out on their front yard.

The nixie tube watch is another thing. You can find schematics, on the web, of previous project that people have done. They have indeed made a nixie tube watch, but either only with two nixie tubes in a circular case, or four nixie tubes but in a rectangular case (mainly due to the size of the nixie tubes). BTW, nixie tubes are no longer being made (thanks to LED lights), so what you would be getting, if you happen to acquire any, is "new old stock." Also, the smaller tubes are very hard to come by these days and are usually a little on the expensive side. Another thing, nixie tubes require quite a bit of voltage (and all the other components that are used to keep the correct time) so it wouldn't be a smart idea to have it on all the time. What people have made are nixie tube watches that only turn on when you swipe your hand over it or tilt it at a certain angle -that way, the energy in the battery is conserved for as much time as possible. Even then, it is said that the life on the batteries only last about three months with normal use.

I'm afraid I can't provide you with a list of all the things you would need; though, if you stumble upon a specific schematic that you wish to build, I could tell you what are the parts shown on their and how it's illustrated to put it together. Oh, and you should become familiar with building circuits before tackling something like this. It can get quite confusing and there is literally thousands of ways you could configure a circuit diagram into an actual working circuit. You have just got to find the best setup that fits your specifications and that also takes up the least amount of resources/space.

It can be done (especially if you build it using a modern, digital PCB board, rather than big analog components) but it will require a lot of dedication and trial and error.

Below are some pictures that I found of already completed nixie watches:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: And I believe that artyom's mechanical watch glows, 24/7, because the dial is painted with luminescent Radium/zinc paint. Very radioactive and dangerous if handled improperly (it's also not made anymore and would be very expensive to make, from scratch, because Radium is hard to come by).

Edit #2: You can use a breadboard/protoboard to practice making circuits on (it can also be used to test out your prototype nixie watch):
    [​IMG]

#9 NuclearWastE3, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  10. Skaara Dreadlocks

....How come you know so much about watches, Nuclear? :twitch:

11. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

It was actually Artyom's watch, from Metro 2033, that got me into watches. I was fascinated with how it glowed and would just stare at it for long periods of time in-game (I also enjoyed the sound of the ticking). I then bought a set of old encyclopedias and found a page worth of information covering Radium and Radium paint (also very fascinating, and I even did a school report on the matter). I eventually got a wind-up Russian watch -whether it contained radium, I don't know since I don't own a geiger counter. The crown (the part that you use to wind the watch or set the time) broke off, by accident, and it stopped working. I tried to fix it, but I just didn't have the proper tools to do it. Since then, I've been obsessed with old Russian military watches...they're so cool. I won't be able to fix one if my life depended on it, though; or will I be able to name all the parts :p

As for the electronics part: I've taken a few circuitry classes that have taught me, quite well, how to assemble,fix, and read a circuit. It might seem very complex, but it's as easy as reading a road map.

It's just something I take interest in. Everyone has their own thing.

#11 NuclearWastE3, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015