Artyom Model Mod (Metro 2033)

Discussion in 'Metro: Last Light General Discussion' started by Downregulation, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Downregulation

Downregulation Well-Known Member

Here's some pics of Artyom's cutscene model that I added to the game. The regular character is a Eugine lookalike by default... This took me three months to track down memory addresses from the first prologue chapter. (The goggles I detached from Hunter to add to the helmet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll try to post a video soon of some action shots.

#1 Downregulation, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  2. Skaara Dreadlocks

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! Great work! I wish 4A made some good concept art like this :(

In the first pic, Artyom and Khan are holding hands, or at least each others' arm. In the second, Bourbon's bayonet stabs Artyom's arm, and in the last one, Bourbon glitches into Artyom a bit (huehueheuhe). But other than that, I love the large HD in-action screenshots, they'd do well as desktop images. This is absolutely great, seeing Artyom beside the characters at known locations through the game, instead of just seeing screenshots of the other characters. I hope we'll see more of these in the future..

3. Downregulation

Thanks for the feedback - glad you liked the pics! :)

Here's a few shots of Artyom with his gas mask on. The default Eugine character did not have a helmet or gas mask attached to him when he was on the surface... That bothered me, so I attached Hunter's sliding gas mask visor as well for use during outside shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TheDarknessEnvelops

TheDarknessEnvelops Lion Triumphant

Firstly, these pictures are great and secondly, I knew 2033's graphics were good for their time but the graphics I see here would still challenge some of todays games

5. vitormaduro

vitormaduro Well-Known Member

The guns, armors, gask masks, monsters and scenarios look great, but his face... God, it's unbelievable... And Metro 2033 is from 2010... Good job there, buddy. :D

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

The graphics are good and shiny indeed, but you can slightly see how they're not very 3D-ish when getting this close, for example in the pic where Artyom is shooting at that mutant, you can see the leather-belt-strap thing on his shoulder looks stretched out and painted on. But that's none of Downregulation's fault.

On the more serious side, these screenshots are absolutely fantastic and marvellous! I love the scenarios, the angles and everything. Ace for you, my friend!

On a side note, I'd like to mention that, in the picture where Artyom shoots at the mutant on the surface, there's some black rip in the picture on the mutant (What is that? :confused:), and the mutant is pretty blurry. It also looks like Artyom's bullets are hitting the crotch of the dead guy in the background :lol:
    I'm just saying, though. These minor details are not something one notices when looking at the beauty of these pics.

By the way, is it okay for you if I use some of these as profile pictures at different places, Downregulation? :)

7. vitormaduro

The belt looks like it's painted because the developers wanted to reduce the numbers of polygons on the model, so that the game runs smoother. Everyone do this, but as you said, Skaara, you only notice when you get this close. It's because you are not supposed to get this close...
    With the technology we have today, the animator can develop things in a much higher quality, for example, you can create individual hair strands, each one physically animated. The best example I can give is the character Elsa, from Disney's "Frozen". She have more or less 400.000 hair strands. If you try to do this is a game, your processor would fry trying to render the first frame.
    And now I'm curious, how does Artyom looks like by default on M:LL? I know it's a lot of work, but perhaps some day someone will be able to show us the answer...
    Oh, and I believe the black strip on the picture you mentioned is a bullet shell being ejected from the gun.

#7 vitormaduro, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ah, you're right, Vitormaduro, it is a shell!
    But the model in these pictures are the model of Artyom. How the standard clothing is, I don't know, but that's his standard face at least.

9. vitormaduro

Oh, I see, I was confused because Downregulation said it was a Eugine lookalike by default, and I didn't remembered who was Eugine, so I thought that Artyom didn't had a model for himself, and what we saw in the pictures is just a placeholder...
    And I like Artyom's face, there's nothing special about it, he's just a regular 20 year old man, which really fits his background story.

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

What I think would be really neat, is thirdperson in the games. Of course, it wouldn't fit with the scenario. First person fits way better, as first person adds to the immersion and makes you really feel like it's you that are there, and not some other character that you're controlling. But still, it would be pretty cool if someone managed to make a thirdperson mod for the game, with this model.

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Stellar work, Downregulation. :)

12. Derrame

Derrame Well-Known Member
    Regular

Artyom!

awesome, great work =)

13. Downregulation

Thanks guys... Sure Skaara, you can use my pics for your Avatar. :)

Here's a short video of gameplay showing his model. (I also enabled his shadow to be shown in first person mode). :D

[youtube]45pxoCZN3MY[/youtube]

More to come...

14. Skaara Dreadlocks

Hahahaha, brilliant! I died! :lol:

15. Downregulation

Glad you liked it - the ending part was a little crazy... :D

Here's Artyom with goggles that I detached from a Polis Ranger.
    (This shot I took is from the D6 "Cave" level).

[​IMG]

I'll try to make another video sometime this week.

#15 Downregulation, May 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  16. Downregulation

Artyom The Hooker

Artyom kills Artyom after being offered sex from himself.

[youtube]MkHFF3-UeN8[/youtube]

17. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

^
    Hahahaha, that cracked me up!

18. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

The premise got a good laugh out of me, okayish execution (should have been a shorter vid). Definitely need to turn down some video settings too for recording, should make the framerate more consistent and easier to watch.

19. Downregulation

The dynamic shadow that I enabled for Artyom does have an impact on performance... I have an Alienware M17x r4 laptop with a 2GB Radeon 7970m graphics card, and this game is definitely the hardest to run when extra assets and features are enabled.

#19 Downregulation, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  20. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

That mobile GPU is no joke, but it's still a mobile one. My 660 TI (~20% more powerful in synthetic benchmarks) is borderline unplayable at 1080p, Max Settings (other than AA), usually in the 20-25 area (obviously ignoring those obnoxious light shaft areas that completely tank framerates). It's very GPU inefficient.